Wiki Posts
Search

AS Cuts 4 flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
AS Cuts 4 flights

As part of its overall network strategy, Alaska Airlines is discontinuing service between four city pairs: Los Angeles and San Jose, Calif., on April 5; Portland, Ore., and Long Beach, Calif., on Aug. 23; Atlanta and Portland on Sept. 1; and previously announced summer Anchorage-Denver flights.
Anybody else notice the above in the press release?

LAX-SJC Apr 5
PDX-LGB Aug 23
ATL-PDX Sep 1
ANC-DEN (Won't resume)

Last edited by rybob1; Mar 28, 2014 at 11:50 am Reason: Fixed ANC-DEN status
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rybob1

LAX-SJC Apr 5
PDX-LGB Aug 23
ATL-PDX Sep 1
ANC-DEN (Won't resume)
LAX-SJC has been discussed here before, but the others (especially ATL-PDX) seem new...wonder if ATL-PDX is being discontinued specifically to accomodate more transcons out of SEA?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I had no idea that AS served DEN/ANC. Makes sense that its being cut permanently as UA is dropping SEA/ANC and focusing more on DEN/IAH-ANC
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:19 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well they had to get all the jets from somewhere for all this new stuff. The good news is that AS hasnt cut all cities completely
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Wow. The PDX-ATL route only lasted a year.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
ATL-PDX loss stings...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by rybob1
LAX-SJC Apr 5
This one had been announced earlier with a later date, but is being pulled forward. My bet is it's not just the competition but also the industry-wide regional pilot/FO shortage that made this decision easier.

I'm a bit bummed (but not surprised) on PDX-ATL. Just too many DL seats on this route and not enough connecting traffic - and for the connecting pax SEA is just as easy (example: me. Connecting to anywhere east from RDM via SEA vs. PDX is usually a 25 minute or so difference and with the way schedules line up is often a wash or even faster through SEA).

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXchris
ATL-PDX loss stings...
Someone correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't a second SEA-ATL flight cut to make room for the PDX-ATL flight? If so will AS be adding a second SEA-ATL flight? I know every time I have made that trip the plane has been totally full.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Someone correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't a second SEA-ATL flight cut to make room for the PDX-ATL flight? If so will AS be adding a second SEA-ATL flight? I know every time I have made that trip the plane has been totally full.
The SEA-ATL redeye was cut to make room for PDX-ATL. While often full, the SEA-ATL redeye was not as popular as the daytime SEA-ATL and was a relatively easy upgrade. My guess is that with the current relationship with DL, the redeye won't be returning as there wouldn't be as many connecting passengers.

If AS had more aircraft, PDX-ATL might make sense as a summer seasonal much like SEA-CVG/MEM have been for DL.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
The loss of PDX-ATL is a bummer, but considering a DL flight left Atlanta at essentially the same time, I guess I'm not surprised. It was normally pretty full whenever I took it, but maybe not profitable? Wish they would offer PDX-EWR instead. I'd rather them start adding nonstop service from PDX to some of these cities that only have SEA service, rather than just adding these new one-flight-a-day from SEA routes.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
When I saw this thread, I knew it would end up a PDX vs. SEA discussion, even though only two PDX routes are affected. I'm absolutely sure that AS is trying to alienate and toture PDX fliers.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:59 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by pdxray
The loss of PDX-ATL is a bummer, but considering a DL flight left Atlanta at essentially the same time, I guess I'm not surprised. It was normally pretty full whenever I took it, but maybe not profitable? Wish they would offer PDX-EWR instead. I'd rather them start adding nonstop service from PDX to some of these cities that only have SEA service, rather than just adding these new one-flight-a-day from SEA routes.
like I once explained before with a 737 on a long haul being "oretty full" or "almost full" might still lose money since they have to keep the fares competitive while having less seats available. I dont know the exact numbers but its possible running the flight at 90% full isnt enough load. DL can operate 757s at 90% and they still have more paying passengers on board than a 738 thats full and unlike a fully loaded 738 traveling that far that has to be filled all the way with fuel and has to use a 90% thrust take off, some 757 can use 3/4ths the fuel load and burn 70% thrust at take off. Thats the problem with just a 737 fleet running long hauls. If they arent full they dont make money. Its one of the reasons the 73G was a flop. Its a great small corporate jet for a company or billionare that wants a 737 but for commercial use even on a sold out flight that has the upper end of its range, the flight still loses money. For instance a full 73G flying ANC-ORD or ANC-DTW or ANC-IND would still lose money unless the fares were much higher than the competition, in which case they wouldnt fill it

Last edited by ANC; Mar 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ANC
well they had to get all the jets from somewhere for all this new stuff. The good news is that AS hasnt cut all cities completely
I mean sort of. PDX-LGB was on Skywest and SJC-LAX was on Horizon. All the new route announcements lately are mainline jets. ANC-DEN was summer seasonal only. ABQ, DTW and BWI don't start until September. So really only PDX-ATL seems like a logical cut to support new flights.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, AS Lifetime Gold (75K for this year), Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, OW Emerald
They are just prepping themselves for the fight with Delta.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

ANC-DEN has been known for a while. Sucks as it was usually full, but I doubt they were making much money...fares were usually dirt cheap for a flight of that length thanks to F9. I used it quite a few times and it was always a nice summer option on AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.