Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consequences for having two reservations on the same flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consequences for having two reservations on the same flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Consequences for having two reservations on the same flight?

I have a BIZ award ticket from SEA-ATH using AS miles.

For our last leg SFO-SEA only one of us was able to get a FC seat. ( The other is waitlisted)

I noticed that there are some FC seats available for $299. I have a voucher ( from a previous bad experience) for $250 which would make this seat $44 and well worth the peace of mind to know that we are both in FC on this last leg.

The dilemma is that I believe if I try and add this to the award ticket I would be charged a change fee since we are less then 30 days away from departure.

What are the consequences of doing nothing to the award ticket but purchasing this OW First seat on the same flight essentially having two reservations for the same flight?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
I don't believe the system will even let you do it.

That said, SFO>SEA is a ridiculously short flight. Even as tall as I am, I don't think I'd much care if I had to sit in the back of the bus on that leg, especially not if it'd cost an extra 300 bucks. ATH>SFO, on the other hand....
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:03 am

AS does run software to check for duplicate reservations. Sometimes leaving out your middle name or not putting your Mileage Plan number in the duplicate res will be enough to outsmart the software. But it is getting increasingly smarter. Perhaps if you call and explain what you'd like to do, they might let you. It would be logical to allow you to do so, with AS gaining additional revenue from you, but YMMV.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
I don't know how good the success rate is on being waitlisted and eventually getting moved up to F are, but for me, it's been 100% positive. Once I called to get on a later flight that had F saver available and was told I'd have to pay a fee to change flights. I declined as it was Lax/Sea, not worth it to me.
A few hours later, I got an email from Alaska saying I was moved to F on the original flight. Not sure if it was coincidence or just a nice agent.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The partner desk might call you before they cancel, but I doubt it will stand without serious issues.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The consequences to you and both of your reservations are this:

Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are lucky, you get a call asking which ticket to cancel. If you are unlucky, they auto-cancel the correct ticket. If you are really unlucky, they either cancel the wrong ticket or both and you have then noshowed for your onward trip and all of that gets cancelled.

While you might be able to get everything fixed, it will take hours on the phone (much longer than the SFO-SEA flight) and a lot of heart ache.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Got it....

I did call AS partner desk ( is there such place anymore?) and they said they could do it but with a $125 change fee. Not worth it.

I'll just hope that as time grows closer something in A class will open up.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:45 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
For the life of me I cant ever figure out why airlines get their panties all in a wad when people want to buy more than 1 seat. If I want to buy 7D, E, and F and pay for them and have a row to yourself why the hell not? The airline actually saves money. They sold 3 seats but the plane is 2 passengers lighter which saves fuel
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ANC
For the life of me I cant ever figure out why airlines get their panties all in a wad when people want to buy more than 1 seat. If I want to buy 7D, E, and F and pay for them and have a row to yourself why the hell not? The airline actually saves money. They sold 3 seats but the plane is 2 passengers lighter which saves fuel
I think they are more worried about people holding seats and cancelling before flight to make it easier for upgrades.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:19 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by CDKing
I think they are more worried about people holding seats and cancelling before flight to make it easier for upgrades.
hmm I suppose so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.