Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Does Delta's New FF "Enhancement" Affect Alaska?

Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

I have been watching the bloodbath over on the Delta forum for the last week (and enjoying it a lot). So far in only a week there are many thousands of post with an overwhelming number of negative reactions to Delta's new "enhancements". There are also a number of SkyMiles members that 'claim' they will be jumping ship to other carriers. Most of them are looking at AA but AS has been mentioned as well. I know that for many people, AS more limited network makes it a no go if you are already a SkyMiles member. I am wondering if we will see a large and significant number of status matches and if so how will it affect AS and its FF base?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Too soon to know long term material effect.
SEA based flyers have a much easier choice. Others don't if they rely on DL to get them where they are going, because the AS/DL partnership future is a great unknown.

Status matches only affect "us" if the new elite actually are ahead of us in the pecking order on the particular flights we may be on.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
What (potential) AS members need to see to make a decision is news of how the partnership itself plays out for 2015. There have been anecdotal rumors (and LOTS of guesswork) that by then AS members will be lucky to get credit for DL miles at all, let alone EQM's, preferred seating, etc.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I don't think it will, generally. Save for SEA, there is very little overlap between DL and AS's network. Hard to see how an ATL/JFK/DTW/MSP/SLC based DL elite is going to be competing with me for upgrades.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't think it will, generally. Save for SEA, there is very little overlap between DL and AS's network. Hard to see how an ATL/JFK/DTW/MSP/SLC based DL elite is going to be competing with me for upgrades.
I think you're right. I think it will mean a few more AS customers but I think AA and UA will see the most new customers. I'm in the Midwest but think AS is the best airlines out there.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Delta's "enhancements" make me think twice about booking them for trips that will be later in the year for fear that I won't get AS mileage for those DL flights.

Instead, I'm looking more at AA flights than I would have in the past.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
AS must have had an inkling that changes were coming to SkyPesos.

This massive change might just keep AS from offering some ridiculous DEQM promotion for the rest of the year since many could jump ship in 2015 anyways.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm curious to see how this shakes out as I'm probably one of the few who will actually benefit from the change. I ran the numbers and since my Delta flights are always full-fare J to Europe I wind up with more miles than before... if I credit to Delta. Which I don't.

The questions for me are: what will the mile per dollar earning rate be on DL for an MVPG, and how do those miles convert back to AS miles?

Neil
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by missamo80
The questions for me are: what will the mile per dollar earning rate be on DL for an MVPG, and how do those miles convert back to AS miles?
Yes and it is not a good sign that DL wont release their "new" awards charts until fall. This perhaps does not bode well for the mileage conversion.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
To me the changes are pushing me out the Delta door after many, many years with them. That AS has recently begun offering service from my home airport COS only makes my choice easier. I've flown AS many times before when I was traveling to PDX and ANC more often and wished they'd come back to COS. Now that they have, and are partnering with AA I plan to switch to AS for Western US travel and AA traveling East. From what I gather of my fellow Delta medallion coworkers they will do likewise.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Wink Totally and absolutely 100% with you

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Delta's "enhancements" make me think twice about booking them for trips that will be later in the year for fear that I won't get AS mileage for those DL flights.

Instead, I'm looking more at AA flights than I would have in the past.
Booked SEA-AUS the other day on AA for precisely this reason. A pity AS only flies this route once a day of course.

Not that DL care of course. Till they next do Chapter 11. Which they will, as all these airlines except AS play this game on their shareholders, vendors and bankers - but hopefully not on their mileage members!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman
To me the changes are pushing me out the Delta door after many, many years with them. That AS has recently begun offering service from my home airport COS only makes my choice easier. I've flown AS many times before when I was traveling to PDX and ANC more often and wished they'd come back to COS. Now that they have, and are partnering with AA I plan to switch to AS for Western US travel and AA traveling East. From what I gather of my fellow Delta medallion coworkers they will do likewise.
I'm sure AS will be glad to have a few COS based FF'ers onboard ^
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Booked SEA-AUS the other day on AA for precisely this reason. A pity AS only flies this route once a day of course.
Well AS does have flights to SAT and IAH as well... SAT is a quick drive (except with construction *mad*)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I though the following quote in one of the latest news releases was interesting:

With Mileage Plan, there is no minimum spend requirement to achieve elite status, and customers enjoy generous availability on award redemptions, one-way travel awards, and combination miles-and-money award redemptions.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i just hope AS/DL partnership holds on until end of year so that i can credit all those December 26th specials to AS without issue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.