American Airlines Fare Class O

Old Mar 1, 14, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Question American Airlines Fare Class O

I recently flew on an AA flight from LAX to BNA. Noticed that I haven't been credited my miles to my AS Mileage Plan account and noticed on my boarding pass that the fare class was O. There was a thread from a while back that discussed the AA fare class O issue here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...s-service.html. But, according to the information on the AS site, it seems like AA fare class O does not accrue miles at all: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx. Has anyone out there in the past few months flown on AA fare class O and been credited miles to their AS Mileage Plan? Is it worth reaching out to someone at AS to see if I can get my miles credited?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ NW69 ~
Old Mar 2, 14, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K
Originally Posted by NW69 View Post
Has anyone out there in the past few months flown on AA fare class O and been credited miles to their AS Mileage Plan? Is it worth reaching out to someone at AS to see if I can get my miles credited?
I flew American in O multiple times last year, most recently in October. All flights credited properly to AS without having to Request Mileage Credit or Contact Mileage Plan, but from what I remember, they all credited on the Wednesday over a week later. So if you had a flight last Friday 02/28/14 for example, I wouldn't expect credit next Wednesday 03/05/14, but the following Wednesday 03/12/14.

O is eligible for mileage credit on AS, but only on flights within North America which is why they don't bother adding O to the list of eligible fare classes.

Last edited by jaloola; Mar 2, 14 at 6:57 pm
Old Mar 3, 14, 12:49 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jaloola View Post
O is eligible for mileage credit on AS, but only on flights within North America which is why they don't bother adding O to the list of eligible fare classes.
I'm not so sure, I believe the website used to specifically state that O was not eligible for flights to/from South America. The fact that this verbiage is now completely gone, and O is not listed anywhere makes me wonder if O is no longer eligible.

This post has the terms as of 5/30/13. They no longer appear as such on the website. The question is whether the earning for "O" has actually changed, or whether there was an error in the most recent edit and it simply got omitted.

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Mar 3, 14 at 12:56 am
Old Mar 3, 14, 1:42 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
It should be an error. I flew on an "O" fare back at the beginning of Jan. and the mileage posted fine about two weeks later.

I had asked the same question somewhere here on the AS forum at the time before I flew since I had no idea as well. The AS page really should post that "O" is only ineligible on South America flights.
Old Mar 3, 14, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
I believe the website used to specifically state that O was not eligible for flights to/from South America. The fact that this verbiage is now completely gone, and O is not listed anywhere makes me wonder if O is no longer eligible.
Looking at the Wayback Machine, O was never listed in the list of eligible fare classes since they started using it some time between April and May 2012. Where there is an asterisk that leads to a note now, it used to only say "Flights taken in O class between North America and Central or South America aren't eligible for mileage accrual" in addition to what is now there. In fact, I actually prefer the way they said it back in 2011 when it was first archived. https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/.../american.aspx

Originally Posted by TheChallenge View Post
The AS page really should post that "O" is only ineligible on South America flights.
I agree, but O is used by AA for Consolidator/Unpublished Fares not just in South America but internationally. I don't remember who exactly, but I clearly remember a prior thread on FT where someone much more qualified to answer on the AS forum than myself mentioned that AS doesn't bother adding O to the list of eligible fare classes because of the confusion it has created in the past.

Pure speculation, but the removal of O from the website completely may mean that AA is now using O for Consolidator/Unpublished Fares domestically as well, or planning to for something similar to E on DL - Basic Economy. Or, if I'm not mistaken, O is used by US for Elite Upgrades, the equivalent of U on AS. In other words, it could be interpreted as a sign of changes in fare classes to come at the new AA.

Last edited by jaloola; Mar 3, 14 at 5:15 am
Old Mar 5, 14, 12:11 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Alaska has officially confirmed with me that fare class O is not a valid routing. I wrote about this in detail here if you'd like to read more. It is not a consolidator fare, it's a regular paid fare bucket so you need to be careful!
Old Mar 5, 14, 8:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
I flew to Chicago last labor day from San Jose, Ca and was credited miles. Can't remember how long it took to post but it wasn't quick.
Old Mar 5, 14, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
I should've mentioned the other complication...

Originally Posted by TProphet View Post
Alaska has officially confirmed with me that fare class O is not a valid routing. I wrote about this in detail here if you'd like to read more. It is not a consolidator fare, it's a regular paid fare bucket so you need to be careful!
I should've mentioned the other complication associated with this particular ticket I bought going from LAX to BNA a few weeks ago.

I bought the ticket on US Airways' website.

This ticket was odd. On aa.com, the flight I flew on (AA 1360 on 02/22/14) wasn't available for purchase, but on US Airways' site, it was being sold for $123.00. This was a good deal, in my eyes, as I bought the ticket literally the day before my departure. The boarding pass I got says on the bottom, "Sold As US Airways," which I'm assuming is the reason why AS isn't crediting my miles for the AA 1360 flight, even though it was on AA metal and my AS MVP status was recognized and I was allowed to sit up in MCE without paying the extra fee.

Wish I had paid a little more attention to the fare class I was booking this ticket in before clicking on "Purchase." Lesson learned!
Old Mar 5, 14, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Yeah, something just doesn't make sense here. The other fare classes listed as not eligible for mileage accrual are an employee travel class and mileage award fare classes. This would be the equivalent of AS not allowing accrual on T fares. I don't think this adds up and I wonder if the website is in error. It's possible the social media folks simply referenced what's published on as.com.
Old Mar 5, 14, 5:13 pm

Miles may not be earned for tickets flown in E, O, T, U or Z classes of service.
As of today, it appears they've updated the website once again. If it doesn't credit automatically, it appears you're out of luck when it comes to requesting Mileage Credit unless you use the argument that it was not the case on the Activity Date. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

Is the relationship with DL as bad as it seems considering that E on DL is still eligible for mileage credit?

Originally Posted by NW69 View Post
I bought the ticket on US Airways' website.
You may not get mileage credit on AS regardless of fare class if your ticket was purchased through US Airways.

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
In other words, even though the flight number may be the same due to the alignment of flight numbers at the new American unlike with most codeshares, the flight is still technically marketed by US Airways with a US Flight Number. In your case, AA 1360 LAX-BNA is also marketed as US 1360 LAX-BNA.
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:25 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by SOCguy View Post
Yeah, something just doesn't make sense here. The other fare classes listed as not eligible for mileage accrual are an employee travel class and mileage award fare classes. This would be the equivalent of AS not allowing accrual on T fares. I don't think this adds up and I wonder if the website is in error. It's possible the social media folks simply referenced what's published on as.com.
I just purchased my 1st AA flight in 10 yrs. It's in the 48 states (midwest to florida) so I used my AS FF#. Looking today I see it's coded O. If I don't get any credit I may as well credit it to my AA account? Thanks for any help or opinions I'm new to AS.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Mar 6, 14 at 10:30 am
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jjmiller69 View Post
If I don't get any credit I may as well credit it to my AA account?
If you have no AS status then I don't see any reason to credit it to AS.

(If you have AS status you can potentially get MCE seats and so it becomes a tradeoff)
Old Mar 7, 14, 12:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If you want credit at all, then you need to credit it to your AA account.

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 View Post
I just purchased my 1st AA flight in 10 yrs. It's in the 48 states (midwest to florida) so I used my AS FF#. Looking today I see it's coded O. If I don't get any credit I may as well credit it to my AA account? Thanks for any help or opinions I'm new to AS.
Old Mar 8, 14, 10:27 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K View Post
If you have no AS status then I don't see any reason to credit it to AS.

(If you have AS status you can potentially get MCE seats and so it becomes a tradeoff)
Originally Posted by TProphet View Post
If you want credit at all, then you need to credit it to your AA account.
Thank you both, this answers all my questions. As a long time NWA/DL traveler I need to learn more about the other airlines. I'm done with them and need to learn more about what else is out there. Thanks for your patience and help I feel like a newbie. lol
Old Mar 9, 14, 11:57 am

for the O fare class, do you at least earn AS EQM? Or is there no benefit of flying AA O fare as a MVP gold other than free checked bags and seat selection?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: