Search

Will AS match DL DEQM SEA promotion??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Will AS match DL DEQM SEA promotion??

Wow...it looks like DL is going to play hardball in SEA and now has a double EQM promotion for ALL non-stop SEA flights ALL year....will AS match??? My guess is they will by the end of today or tomorrow...

http://www.frequentflier.com/blog/de...iles-all-year/
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
All I have to say is... "Um. WOW."
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Why does DL seem to have disdain for AS these days?
Relationship seems to have soured a lot lately.

Last edited by apodo77; Feb 20, 2014 at 8:10 am
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:20 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Don't think so, DL has MQD, AS doesn't.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I don't think they need to match any more than they have already done.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Hope not
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have an AS segment ATL - SEA next month, so would be ok with me if they DEQM all SEA routes flown by both AS and DL, though I can't see giving DEQM on (QX) SEA - PDX!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
All this would require AS doing is extending their current promos (since they are all DL-facing), plus adding promos on SEA-ANC/JNU/HNL/PDX. I'd say there's a decent chance of this happening.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Already being talked about in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...thread-46.html

Little late to the game...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Even with DL DEQM the AS plan remains the better value proposition with better bang-for-buck redemption and the new EQM deal on overseas partners. But I agree this is a serious problem for AS because many won't see it that way.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
This is a good point...and one of the main reasons us former UA folks moved over to AS....with UA & DL, it doesn't matter how many EQMs you rack up...if you don't spend the minimum amount, you could be at 50K and still only end up as Silver or nothing
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Looks like they're (DL) not getting the advance bookings on their new domestic SEA flights that they'd hoped? Honestly I don't think the DL SEA hub will survive and will most likely go the way PDX did. Too much competition already from SEA. In a couple years i'd expect DL to pull the plug and move everything to LAX where the services can be supported.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Looks like they're (DL) not getting the advance bookings on their new domestic SEA flights that they'd hoped? Honestly I don't think the DL SEA hub will survive and will most likely go the way PDX did. Too much competition already from SEA. In a couple years i'd expect DL to pull the plug and move everything to LAX where the services can be supported.
I as well feel there is no way the DL SEA hub will survive short of DL gutting the SLC hub and moving all traffic through SEA. In comparisons to the East Coast and Midwest there just simply isn't enough DL loyal flyers on the West Coast to support operations at SEA, SLC, and LAX.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:31 pm

well, in their annual report Alaska mentioned increased costs for the Mileage program due to competition from Delta so I would expect that they will end up matching eventually.

That or they are going to do something like triple EQM's from SLC when all those routes get off the ground.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LAStoFAI
well, in their annual report Alaska mentioned increased costs for the Mileage program due to competition from Delta so I would expect that they will end up matching eventually.

That or they are going to do something like triple EQM's from SLC when all those routes get off the ground.
Increased costs will be derived from the liability of having all those miles on the books. Coupled with people starting to spend those miles in 2014/2015 and impairing revenue from seats that could be sold to revenue customers, the LAST thing AS wants to do is match DL in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.