Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How long to transfer SPG points to Alaska?

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

I made a request yesterday to transfer SPG points to Alaska miles, and really need to grab two award seats while they are still there, but the transfer is obviously not instant.. does anyone know how long it takes? I read conflicting answers, some 48 hours, some saying they transfer only on the 1st and 15th of the month, some say it takes 2 weeks to 4 weeks.. if much longer, I would rather just purchase instant miles.. thanks for any insight.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
I hate to do this to you but....I have done two SPG=>AS transfers in the last 6 months (one just this month). One took 15 days, the other took 2 days.... I also read about the 1st and the 15th logic, and my transfers did not sync up with those days. The AS awards are so tantalizing, and for me, the waiting was agony. Good luck
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
This is a strike against SPG's program, IMO. It is attractive, because they have so many transfer partners. The problem is, usually once you decide which partner you want to use, you need the transfer to be pretty instant...waiting 2 weeks is not very helpful. Makes the other transfer currencies out there (namely Chase UR and AMEX MR) more attractive, of course they don't transfer to AS

Good luck!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I called and asked SPG about this and they said the request gets sent to Alaska within 24 hours and then it's it their hands.

She said sometimes it's fast and sometimes it just sits in a queue. After it's sent by SPG, they can't do anything to help you, it's in AS hands.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Two transfers in the last 2 weeks, and both completed in 36-48 hours. If you look at the SPG forum thread regarding transfer times, it appears something might have changed late last year? Good luck...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

It took about 48 hours. I was able to get my seats. Today I initiated another transfer and I am hoping it takes about the same.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:55 pm

Any updates on this? Anyone transferred SPG points to Alaska recently and have it processed in a timely manner (24-48 hours)? Need to fly from Dubai to Boston and there is business class seat I want but need I another 16K miles in my Alaska account.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AndrewRyan10
Any updates on this? Anyone transferred SPG points to Alaska recently and have it processed in a timely manner (24-48 hours)? Need to fly from Dubai to Boston and there is business class seat I want but need I another 16K miles in my Alaska account.
Sounds like EK... beware of phantom EK seats.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific-Asia Miles, Starwood
My transfer took <48 hours last week.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
Thumbs up

Then something has definitely changed recently. For me, it use to take on average 2-3 weeks. This is a welcome change.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Slightly off topic but is transfering SPG - Alaska worthwhile?

based on CC posts SPG is worth a lot more than alaska? so instead of moving 20K of SPG to get 25K alaska.. isn't it better to get someone to book you a 25K award, and then give that person say 15K of SPG? (or whatever ratio works).

Thinking/wondering out loud.. not trying to get or give points here.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz GPC
Originally Posted by adela77
I made a request yesterday to transfer SPG points to Alaska miles, and really need to grab two award seats while they are still there, but the transfer is obviously not instant.. does anyone know how long it takes? I read conflicting answers, some 48 hours, some saying they transfer only on the 1st and 15th of the month, some say it takes 2 weeks to 4 weeks.. if much longer, I would rather just purchase instant miles.. thanks for any insight.
I did my SPG points xfer this week and it took 3 business days.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
My SPG transfer from Saturday showed up in my Alaska account today.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AS gold
Two weeks ago, I requested a transfer on a Tuesday and it went through on Friday afternoon
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Initiated a transfer on Monday early evening (1730 eastern) and they credited to my AS account late Friday evening sometime around midnight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.