Search

Thank You Miles - to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, SPG Gold, MR Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thank You Miles - to buy or not to buy?

Hey folks,

I've got a LOT of travel with Alaska coming up this year, and I was wondering - do you normally buy the 'thank you miles' that are offered in the checkout process for purchasing tickets?

Last I calculated I think they come to roughly 1.9c per mile, which makes for a pretty fantastic deal if you're planning on business / first class international travel with one of Alaska's partners.

I worry a little about exchanging money now for something which could be devalued down the road arbitrarily.

What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I haven't.

I'd rather fly and earn the miles for around the same price (plus travel to some fun places!)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Vanessa Howell
Hey folks,

I've got a LOT of travel with Alaska coming up this year, and I was wondering - do you normally buy the 'thank you miles' that are offered in the checkout process for purchasing tickets?

Last I calculated I think they come to roughly 1.9c per mile, which makes for a pretty fantastic deal if you're planning on business / first class international travel with one of Alaska's partners.

I worry a little about exchanging money now for something which could be devalued down the road arbitrarily.

What are your thoughts?
Depends on what you may use the miles for

Use them for for first class redemptions on Emirates or Cathay, or even business class on either one of those-worth a lot more than the 1.9 cents you pay to buy the miles. That is unless you have hundreds of thousands of miles from Alaska anyways, in which case may be the value per mile is less.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75K
2.0425c/mile after taxes if I remember correctly.

Similar to beckoa, I personally found flying fares at <5cpm to be a better way to get miles. If you need more miles than you can get via flying or you need them more quickly then the purchase is a fairly reasonable price. I believe there's also a purchase bonus going on where you get miles for a similar rate (like 2.1c/mile or something - link is here) but you don't have to book a ticket to get that offer.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
you can also take advantage of the Up to 40% Bonus Offer going on right now
Old Feb 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Hi -

+1.

My general rule of thumb is go on a MR when EQM<.05 or RDM<.02 (including elite, route, cc bonuses), then I pull the trigger.

If you are planning to redeem miles for F/J International, buying them for .02/mile is a very reasonable idea, either as an add-on when purchasing a ticket or buying them at 40% off.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, SPG Gold, MR Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks folks,
5cpm is a very aggressive target. The best I've found so far is 6cpm. I'll think about that - mileage runs, or at least, going to new exciting places to accrue miles instead of buying them is a great idea
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:36 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

- do you normally buy the 'thank you miles' that are offered in the checkout process for purchasing tickets?

?
no, never have
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks folks,
5cpm is a very aggressive target. The best I've found so far is 6cpm. I'll think about that - mileage runs, or at least, going to new exciting places to accrue miles instead of buying them is a great idea
Check out http://www.theflightdeal.com/categor...-flight-deals/. AS doesn't come up as often as some other airlines (the last AS fare was SEA-BOS in January at 4.2cpm), but some of AS's partners (mostly DL) show up fairly regularly.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Depends on what you may use the miles for

Use them for for first class redemptions on Emirates or Cathay, or even business class on either one of those-worth a lot more than the 1.9 cents you pay to buy the miles. That is unless you have hundreds of thousands of miles from Alaska anyways, in which case may be the value per mile is less.
This my situation I have a son in SIN & another in DEL. I couldn't fly enough to earn the 280K miles (140x2) to fly CX F.So took advantage of the 40% miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.