Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

So why am I not on the airport upgrade list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi -

So I go to check in for a flight. My reservation says First Class Waitlisted. I go to the airport upgrade list on AS.com, and I am nowhere to be found. Oh great, I though, I cleared the list.

When I call into the 75K desk, they say I am #2, still waitlisted. Then why am I not on the airport list on the website?

Silence.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Related to the update glitch perhaps?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:59 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
At least they knew how to look it up. I feel like the last 2 times Ive called that I was qued into the general lines. Neither time was I thanked for my business and the CSAs werent all that swift when it comes to upgrades. A 3rd time I called I think I was also put into general lines as it took 20 minutes to handle changing a fare to H from Q to do a mileage upgrade for someone. Then she goes ohhhh lets see here if there are enough miles...oh ok I guess you wont even miss 15,000. I thought she was being funny so I laughed. The response was crickets chirping . Only 1 of those 3 calls did they mention who they even were answering the phone for, instead it was "this is mary"
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
2 of the last 3 flights on AS I've been first class waitlisted and then disappeared when I got to the airport.

I've written to customer care to ask what's up - not a great experience, this is a top reason why I moved away from UA (as a 1K) was upgrade shenanigans.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
2 of the last 3 flights on AS I've been first class waitlisted and then disappeared when I got to the airport.

I've written to customer care to ask what's up - not a great experience, this is a top reason why I moved away from UA (as a 1K) was upgrade shenanigans.
Edit: it's early, and I read that wrong.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
This seems very short sighted and makes me think your move to UA is based on other factors.
Indeed, I didn't say it was the sole reason, I said it was a top reason. I'm not sure what you consider short-sighted in that?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So what was the ultimate resolution of the AS glitch? DID they put everyone back into the upgrade order according to status then date of purchase within each category?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Had this happen to me on Sunday, then got back on the list at the gate. Unclear if it was related to the recent glitch; I thought those had all been fixed by then.

Once back on huge list, wife and I were #1 and 2, with sold F but 2 not checked in. Boarded and sat in row 6, hoping for "the call" - which never came. Into the flight, discovered that it flew with the two F seats open!

Was not a happy camper on that flight. Good thing it was the relatively short LAX-SEA...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So what was the ultimate resolution of the AS glitch? DID they put everyone back into the upgrade order according to status then date of purchase within each category?
I know Missy was looking into it. She asked for my PNR so she could see what happened. It sounds like maybe it didn't get fixed for those who were booked before the glitch. I have 2 trips coming up next week. Hopefully I am back on the list where I should be (at the bottom, below all you Golds )
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:54 am
Original Poster

So #1 got the last seat.

Interestingly enough, I checked the online list after my flight left to find my name at #2. even though it was not there at t-20.

So I am more confused than ever now. Did they just manually insert my name? And if so, why was it put there?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by Orwaid
So #1 got the last seat.

Interestingly enough, I checked the online list after my flight left to find my name at #2. even though it was not there at t-20.

So I am more confused than ever now. Did they just manually insert my name? And if so, why was it put there?
A similar thing is happening right now to me. Last night at 2200, I check-in for my Y seat (me MVPG can companion on same PNR is QF Gold and switched to an earlier flight. We were not on the AS app upgrade list.

I called AS Gold desk. She said she placed us in the upgrade list. She also said we were now not on the return flight upgrade list. I'm pissed that we lost our position on the return.

We still are not on the AS app upgrade list. However, on line it says we're first class waitlisted.

Another thing... I tried to change seats. The app and the website wouldn't let me. I called the Gold desk again and the agent said he couldn't change the seat even thought there's open seats. He sighted that it's closed even though it's 20 hours to departure.

I called another agent who change the seat. Normally AS phone agents agree good. What I can't figure out is why there was any issue to begin with.

Why don't we show on the app upgrade list?
Why could we not switch seats when there's still open seats?
Why we were not placed into the new flights upgrade list?
Why we're we removed from the return flight upgrade list?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:03 pm

Here's my story from last week.

We both are just MVP, not Gold.

All our upcoming flights show "First Class waitlisted", so we "thought" we were fine after the glitch about a month ago. Silly us.

No upgrade cleared on Saturday outbound, all F seats taken, that's fine, so 24 hrs before I looked at the fight status to see where we were on the list. Not there.

Called the MVP desk. She first says "you're on the waitlist". I said "I don't see us", she then says "oh, you're right, I think you were bitten by the (glitch) bug". She said I'll have them manually go through your upcoming reservations and put you back. I said what about order...we made many of these reservations months ago. She said not sure but she'll see what she could do.

When we got to the airport on Saturday we were on the list, but didn't clear.

Return flight Tuesday we were upgraded.

When we got home we had an e-mail from AS saying that they went through and made sure we were properly waitlisted, but said they could NOT put back to original position. E-mail went on to say that "we" should have called back when glitch happened.

I e-mailed back saying I was very disappointed in this policy, ESPECIALLY since we were never told to call in, but rather were clearly told "there were no schedule changes, you don't have to do anything" (this was the message that was on their website right after the glitch happened).

I have not heard back regarding my "disappointed" response e-mail, and don't expect to.

As an MVP I don't expect to get upgraded all the time, but I certainly want the fact that we buy our tickets quite far ahead to be recognized (putting us in a higher slot against other mvp's). I know when my ticket purchases were made (cc and e-mail info), why could they not have tweaked their software to fix this?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Hi -

So what was this glitch? And how was it communicated to customers?

BTW, I have yet to receive my 75K card and my 4 Board Room Passes. Is this also glitch-related?

The 50K bonus and guest MVP did post.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jan 31, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I consistently get dropped off the upgrade lists when I SDC. I just kind of and figure that AS hasn't figured out how to make their stone knives and bearskins Sabre IT work right.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:45 am

The "glitch" happened I believe at the beginning of January. I was never personally notified (not sure if higher than our MVP was). I saw it when I happened to be looking at my upcoming trips. It said something like "there has been a schedule change, you must click (here) to reconfirm all your flights." I did that. No mention of upgrade problems. (BTW, there were NO schedule changes, everything I clicked was the exact same time and flight number I had before).

Then the message changed to something like: "This was a mistake, there are no schedule changes, you do not have to do anything".

So, I did not do anything (like call AS), I believed everything was fine, until my flight last week.

If I were you I'd call AS and make sure your reservations are in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.