Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:22 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
SEA-MCO

AS $689
DL $199

Painful.

Nearby dates not much better.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
also Bay Area - DEN in F is almost always higher than the others. AS pricing for this route was quite competitive just last year.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by gdam22
Good to know(Generally). Doesn't seem like they are opening up those lower brackets at all right now, however as I'm seeing the same for April/May.

The odd thing is it's not the usual 20 bucks here or there, it's like flights for 89 or 150 on Delta are going for like 169 or 229 on Alaska. The Delta prices are about what they've been in past years on the same routes, but the Alaska prices are what's significantly higher, so wondered what was up.
Noticed the same. Trying to book Companion Code and finding prices much higher for markets we usually fly, for this coming year. Feels like AS is getting greedy .
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by _fx
SEA-MCO

AS $689
DL $199

Painful.

Then buy it on DL and enjoy almost $500 in your pockets. Consider this your excuse to be a free agent.

Originally Posted by vudoosj
also Bay Area - DEN in F is almost always higher than the others. AS pricing for this route was quite competitive just last year.
They aren't flying SFO-DEN any more (and losing their shirt doing it, which is why they cut the route). Why would they want connecting traffic SFO/SJC/OAK-SEA-DEN to compete with nonstops (so already nobody wants to fly on a routing that's actually a backtrack, unless the flight's super cheap, so even cheaper than the nonstop), and get into another slugfest?
JacksonFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by _fx
SEA-MCO

AS $689
DL $199

Painful.

My trip, ANC-SEA-MCO on Feb. 24 was only $227.59 when I bought it in late October. I think this is one reason AS dropped their best price guarantee. Prior to the change, if you bought months out and the price dropped, you were credited the difference. Now, you are stuck with the ticket unless you are MVPGold or 75K. Perhaps we should all stop buying far out if AS only offers lower prices 3 months or less from the flight date.

The return on March 4, FLL-LAX-ANC was only $270.70.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by _fx
SEA-MCO

AS $689
DL $199

Painful.

Date?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:36 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by Calculon
Date?
March 27th: https://shorturl.at/abgxC

Fortunately I purchased this fare when it was less expensive, but I checked back later (because I was thinking of making a change), and was shocked to see this difference.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by _fx
March 27th: https://shorturl.at/abgxC

Fortunately I purchased this fare when it was less expensive, but I checked back later (because I was thinking of making a change), and was shocked to see this difference.
UW Seattle Spring Break is March 21-29. That's a B fare AS is selling in your example. As in "One of the most expensive coach fares AS files in a market, so expensive we'll instant upgrade MVPGs on it to F and award 125% EQM". If the only fares AS is offering are B fares, they're pretty much convinced that plane is going out full, probably because they sold everything that wasn't a B fare. DL probably isn't selling their plane as well, because, oh hey, they're second banana in SEA.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:13 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UW Seattle Spring Break is March 21-29. That's a B fare AS is selling in your example. As in "One of the most expensive coach fares AS files in a market, so expensive we'll upgrade MVPGs on it and award 125% EQM". If the only fares AS is offering are B fares, they're pretty much convinced that plane is going out full. DL probably isn't selling their plane as well, because, oh hey, they're second banana in SEA.
Thanks for the explanation. I do know how the fares work. I just posted this because I thought it was a good example of the subject of the thread.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Im genuinely curious how many people (and also how many FTers) compare prices on flights.

It seems like people check prices months before they book, and then keep checking after?

Im not crazy wealthy or something - but I just find the fastest flight to my destination at the best times for me, book it whatever it costs, and never think about it again.

If there are two airlines that fly a route nonstop - times are similar, I guess ill pick the less expensive one. But, its not something I stress about.

Maybe I am minority here. Why stress about it?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Im genuinely curious how many people (and also how many FTers) compare prices on flights.

It seems like people check prices months before they book, and then keep checking after?

Im not crazy wealthy or something - but I just find the fastest flight to my destination at the best times for me, book it whatever it costs, and never think about it again.

If there are two airlines that fly a route nonstop - times are similar, I guess ill pick the less expensive one. But, its not something I stress about.

I keep checking on AS because I get free changes so if the fare drops I save money. I don't check every day but I do check a few times, especially if I booked a higher fare class or I have some other reason to think that the fare has room to drop.

It's not a massive amount of money but it will save me a few hundred a year.
tatterdema and _fx like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: HH Silver

I take the same flights yearly at about the same time, so yeah, I check after to see if the price drops. I like to know what the low price is for my flight for the following year, or if I want to book it again.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,

I make a RT transcon once a month on SAN - BOS which was only have one AS flight, though thankfully many B6 and shockingly season WN flights are carried on this route to drive down price. This makes it pretty easy to track flights using google alerts since the lowest fares are always 149 MC. Unless its like the Sunday after thanksgiving, a low bucket fare almost always pops up a random times.

Off topic, but strategies for getting that last 15k/30k partner EQM? As the name implies, your resident Gen Z FT so not much disposable income yet for long haul partner J/F. Try SDC to route through SFO/SEA? MRs to JFK on X?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:41 am

PDX-BOS in summer over the past few years i have generally found AS about 20-30% higher for day time flights. It sucks when you are trying to maintain gold and those trans flights always hit the wallet harder
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm curious how much of an effect the companion ticket has on pricing, especially for summer and leisure routes. I imagine that on those routes/times that a non-insignificant portion of the passengers used companion tickets. Perhaps they factor that into the pricing. I certainly notice it whenever I try to use my companion fare - AS is higher than the competition, which reduces (but not usually eliminates) the benefit of the companion ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.