Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
You can thank jetBlue for getting that fare on AS.
Yep, thus the noticeable difference in fare between the $121 SEA-ANC fare and the much higher fare from PDX-ANC...too bad the SEA-ANC cheapo fare doesn't seem to allow connections or you could book via PDX and throw away the SEA flight.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yep, thus the noticeable difference in fare between the $121 SEA-ANC fare and the much higher fare from PDX-ANC...too bad the SEA-ANC cheapo fare doesn't seem to allow connections or you could book via PDX and throw away the SEA flight.
I'd book this to earn more miles
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:20 pm

Sorry to resurrect a 4yo thread. Didn't want to start another thread, but I'm curious to see how others feel about this topic more recently.

I'm based in SEA, but i don't fly that much domestically... maybe 5-6x a year. But AS was rarely the cheapest option on the routes I either flew or was looking to book all throughout last year (LAX, HNL, OGG, PHX, BOS... they did tend to be competitive for SEA-SFO). I'm comparing them to the likes of AA, DL and Jet Blue. I ended up flying DL more often than AS last year, even though DL's services out of SEA are more limited and I would've chosen AS had the price difference been close (since I check bags for free with AS and collect AS miles). I kept looking for the opportunity to use companion pass for family trip to Hawaii or Arizona, but AS' fares tended to be so much higher for those destinations that I actually never came across a scenario where the companion pass would've made up for the fare difference. So I had to let it expire. Have a couple of domestic trips lined up over the next couple months... neither one on AS, again due to cost factors.

Maybe my observation is not based on enough data points. But I would find it difficult to believe that DL's average fares aren't overall cheaper than AS' on same routes out of SEA. And service is no better on AS than DL. The only thing where AS has a leg up on is their MP, imo.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:26 pm

Hi -

My general impression is that AS is competitive on West Coast and Anchorage routes. And a few times a year they have good fare sales across their network. Your basic 2-3 week in advance is usually not so good except at odd times.

Last edited by Orwaid; Feb 5, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Living in SFO, for a lot of trips my main choices are often AS/VX and UA. They seem to be about the same on average -- sometimes one is cheaper, sometimes the other is.

Anything with an AA codeshare always seems to be ridiculously priced... like, 3-5x what it would be on another airline (or on AS metal). Does anyone buy these things?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: MVPG
AS summer fares not competitive SEA-Ord

Ive been shopping for 4 seats on Aug 10th, one way Sea to Ord. The last 4 years Ive bought award seats at 12500, but this year there were no supersaver awards. Since Im flying with kids, I stick with morning/ early afternoon nonstop flights. Alaskas fare is $293 for flights 34 or 22. Delta flight 2338 Is $188; American flight 1624 is $225, flight 1017 is $164; all fares are for main cabin.
Still waiting for SWA to release their schedule.

I might spend the extra if I was buying one ticket, but not 4. Most likely will fly SWA is fares are under $200.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
My AS experience from SAN to Hawaii and transcons is that prices are generally on the high side more than 90 days out, become quite volatile 45 - 60 days out. Have been quite successful using the Alaska Low Fare Guarantee website to obtain refunds, securing the lowest fare, using the credits for future travel. Yapta is a great tool for notification of price changes, useful as drops are often short-lived, for a limited number of seats.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:23 am

Hi -

No doubt that MVPG and Yapta together make it less aggravating to buy tickets. Never really have to wonder if you are getting the best fare.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:14 am

I think one of the main problems I've noticed after years of alaska price tracking through yapta/google-flights, its that alaska really doesn't release the cheaper seats till ~2 months out (often when within the 60 day no-change-free time). But as I typically buy flights long before it (I prefer to plan long time out, much longer than 2 months), it a disincentive to book alaska.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Chugach
AS is probably betting that they can command a premium on their nonstop flights to OGG with their large FF base in SEA. For a MVPG, flying HA means losing out on roughly 10,000 RDM's. That's a decent chunk of mileage to skip out on.
Not to mention that's a good place to redeem companion certificates.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:41 am

I don't fly a lot since my flying is always personal travel, but PSC to SEA is absolutely never on sale and is often more expensive then flying SEA to LAX! I know it's a strong route that doesn't have to work very hard for business, but Alaska has never tried to run sales or anything on this route, and of course Delta was perfectly happy sliding in and offering the same flight for basically the same cost.

When looking at mid range flights (SEA/PDX to LAX/BUR or LAS) then Alaska usually is "cheap" far in advance (months) but sometimes ~4 or 5 weeks out they're more expensive then the other guys, and First Class is ALWAYS more expensive when I look, usually by a couple hundred bucks! I almost always fly Delta from SEA to LAX in F because of the cost compared to AS. I guess AS likes to hold onto their F fares for upgrades for elites or last minute business bookings or something, but if they offered one or two single seat discounted F fares I think they would find they sell them a lot, at least I know I always go to AS fist to check F fares and then wander over to Delta to give it a look...

EDIT: And of course as soon as I say that I see that Alaska is cheaper then Delta by ~$50 or so on a one way F ticket SEA to LAX in F. I swear every fall when I usually take a trip down to LA Alaska is $50 to $100 more expensive! (And I usually book at least 60 days out, often more due to hotel's booking up) I wonder if AS dynamically adjusts their pricing upwards more during the summer months, even for travel deep into the fall (usually mid October or first week November)

Last edited by acarney; Feb 6, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:37 pm

As of last night, SEA-HNL over Memorial Day weekend (morning westbound, afternoon eastbound) was $695 on HA & DL, $1020 on AS. I've been looking ever since last fall, but the relative pricing between those three has been more or less the same everytime I've checked. For the same weekend, SEA-LA (morning southound, afternoon northbound) was $300 on Jet Blue & DL, whopping $400 on AS.

I'd like to be able to use the companion cert for our Oahu trips, but it's been useless for me recently. I always either travel alone or with 3 others. At those price differences, obviously not worth it. With expensive fares and airlines dropping off AS' partners list one after another, AS Visa is really losing its value (at least for me). I may cancel the card.

Have work travel coming up, going to BOS. On Kayak, Jet Blue was >$150 less than AS. DL also cheaper. We're supposed to book on our corporate booking site. For some reason, AS and its expensive fare came up first as "preferred". Jet Blue didn't appear as an option.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying OAK - OGG - SFO, all in F. AS there, VX back. Fare was ~$1000 RT. Cheapest all-F (not mixed cabin) on UA for the same dates is >$2000 RT from bay area to OGG.

It really depends on the dates and routes. Although the cheapest I've ever seen a weekend bay area - hawaii first class round trip on UA is about $1300 in F.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by erika33
Been shopping around a lot recently for flights out of Seattle. Longtime loyalty member with Alaska but very disappointed recently. Most of the searches I've done lately have put other airlines ahead of Alaska on both price and flight duration.

Anybody else notice this or is it just me, my dates, and destination.

Honestly considering switching loyalty programs.
AS has always been more expensive. The really uncompetitive things is the first class pricing. Lots of times it's 3.5x the coach fare whereas Delta is 1.5-2x
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ou81two
AS has always been more expensive. The really uncompetitive things is the first class pricing. Lots of times it's 3.5x the coach fare whereas Delta is 1.5-2x
Yes and this is only getting worse if you look ahead at the combined schedule with the integrated pmVX flights. The F pricing 3-11 months out is consistently more than UA/DL and is sometimes beyond ridiculous at 2-3x UA/DL. Also very few MVP75 upgrades available on any day at all for SFO-NYC/SFO-WAS and mileage F is 120K RT. This was the real killer with the loss of DL as a partner. Clearly AS management doesn't care about this. And I don't care to pay that much of a premium over competitors so will fly layflat at much less cost.

I will easily requalify for MVP75 with int'l travel. Rather than my "west coast airline" perhaps AS will become my "mileage bank for int'l flights" and I will just go back to flying cheapest discount F for domestic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.