Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Is Flying Alaska Airlines Getting Expensive?

Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I've had several recent flights on which a week before the flight Premium is 100% full with people who have paid for the upgrade, and there is no one in First. I know it's not 75Ks because none of them are getting upgraded up from Premium.

It's a little weird to not be able to find a seat in Premium when my upgrade window opens but know with near certainty I'll wind up in First.

Strange times.
As a 75K I get to book directly to PC but just recently flew my son to Hawaii (where I live) and it was interesting to watch the seating chart. At the time of booking PC was $120 add-on. About a week out it dropped to $90 and two days before the flight it dropped to $67. I was set to pull the trigger to get my tall kid (6'6") some legroom but it let me put him in an exit row at around T-36 hours. I'm still not clear on how/why it let me do that since I thought it was T-24 hours at best.

Fwiw, I've been seeing quite a bit of PC availability on PDX > OGG routes and also lots of upgrades.... even some GGU opportunities.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mtofell
As a 75K I get to book directly to PC but just recently flew my son to Hawaii (where I live) and it was interesting to watch the seating chart. At the time of booking PC was $120 add-on. About a week out it dropped to $90 and two days before the flight it dropped to $67. I was set to pull the trigger to get my tall kid (6'6") some legroom but it let me put him in an exit row at around T-36 hours. I'm still not clear on how/why it let me do that since I thought it was T-24 hours at best.

Fwiw, I've been seeing quite a bit of PC availability on PDX > OGG routes and also lots of upgrades.... even some GGU opportunities.
I have recently been on HNL flights with empty seats in first, even after buy-ups by some pax at the gate. 🥂🤞🏻
mtofell likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 22, 2021 at 11:40 pm Reason: grammar (too many mai tais)
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:09 pm

DC to SF J in September: AS prices one way at $800-1000 with recliner seats, $500 for econ with GGU upgrade. United Polaris lie flat for $450.

I mean I want to fly AS but United got my bookings.

Edit: Single passengers might do better as AS has come down on many dates, but 2+ passengers on a booking and prices go way up.
anteater and Mahogany like this.

Last edited by olouie; Aug 24, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Ive been monitoring some routes i constant (JFK/BOS - California) and J fares are through the roof, like $1000$+ one way and its been like this for a while. Im not opposed to paying a J premium but 10x the prices of MC is absurd. However, when I look business class seats are almost empty! Who in the world are paying AS these absurd J fares right now?
The final or first leg of international OneWorld travelers.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mahogany
The final or first leg of international OneWorld travelers.
The schedules aren't well aligned for that currently. Seems mostly like insane AS pricing due to less frequency of flights.
mildfrequence likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.