Find J flights OZ to Canada or USA

Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Find J flights OZ to Canada or USA

Have AK miles, would like to go from any port in Australia (prefer CNS) to any port in Canada or USA in J (2 pax) for close to 3 weeks in May or June or July or Sept to early Oct, I can't find any on QFF or CX FF sites. I know I can call AK but thought a FF guru here may be able to help.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
You can search for them right on the Alaska Airlines website. Check the "use miles" box. It will show options on Qantas ( CNS to BNE, MEL, or SYD, then to LAX). If you specify start in SYD it will also show options on FIJI Airways. Qantas flights in J are very hard to get with Alaska miles as Qantas FF members get to book award seats 25 days earlier. I did see some availability in J for October when I looked 330 days out. Booking one way at a time is easier.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K
One note: Can't find CX on the AS website.

The real problem with AS for QF/FJ is that it's easy to get one (usually shorter) leg in business and very hard to get the longer leg but the AS site doesn't have a way to filter out mixed itineraries (which would be particularly useful on the calendar view).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
One note: Can't find CX on the AS website.

The real problem with AS for QF/FJ is that it's easy to get one (usually shorter) leg in business and very hard to get the longer leg but the AS site doesn't have a way to filter out mixed itineraries (which would be particularly useful on the calendar view).
For CX bookings, you must call. Don't worry, the agents are very friendly and happy to search all sorts of options for you.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
How is the availability on CX for seats in J with Alaska miles, going LAX-HKG- SYD? Will they allow a stopover of several days in HKG to break up the long journey? Are the CX award seats released 330 days in advance like Qantas seats?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

To get J seats SYD/LAX/SYD on AK is virtually impossible using miles.

We have friends in HKG plus its so easy getting back to Cairns direct from there and its only 7 hour flight so these are the reasons we prefer to go that way.

I've checked out CX award availablity and also via the QFF site CNS/HKG to/from all USA ports they (CX) fly to with an approx. 3 week gap with short stopovers in HKG, all to no avail, so if I can't see any how can AK. It is a pity that CX awards can't be found on the AK site, I guess their systems are different?.

enzian, I'm told yes one stopover is allowed in HKG.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

CX Flights from OZ with miles

I've had a good look on CX Marco Polo Award site for 2 x J using AK miles from all departure cities in Australia as CNS, BNE, SYD or MEL to HKG return, can only get 1 x J for departing flight (return no problem for two), does this mean if not available on CX site then AK would not have them either?.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:33 am

Unfortunately business class seats on CX can be very scarce, depending on dates. On also check on JAL website, or BA website.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Limewood
To get J seats SYD/LAX/SYD on AK is virtually impossible using miles.
Hmmmm. I didn't think AirAsia was a partner:

Search results for "ak"

Airline name 2-letter code Accounting code (PAX) Airline prefix code
AirAsia Berhad dba AirAsia AK 807 807

I've heard it's difficult to get J seats via AS Mileage Plan as well.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Limewood
I've had a good look on CX Marco Polo Award site for 2 x J using AK miles from all departure cities in Australia as CNS, BNE, SYD or MEL to HKG return, can only get 1 x J for departing flight (return no problem for two), does this mean if not available on CX site then AK would not have them either?.
Nope. It's not like AS has a magic source of CX award seats that's better than CX's.

Also, AK- state of Alaska abbreviation, or Air Asia IATA code. AS = Alaska Airlines IATA code. I'm pretty sure you can't book CX award seats through Air Asia.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for info & correct IATA code.

The wife and I will be going on trip, I found 1 x J & 1 x PE on CX, she says doesn't mind the latter and its a 7hour daylight flight, did this once before and she received a free upgrade to J as it turned out.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The wife is going in the lower cabin? You indeed have a keeper. Usually domestic harmony is kept by putting the wife in the higher cabin...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The wife is going in the lower cabin? You indeed have a keeper. Usually domestic harmony is kept by putting the wife in the higher cabin...
Last trip to Hong Kong she in Y me in J, reckons she would spend the balance shopping and that she did, however, she received a J upgrade at gate both ways!!, CX either thought we should be together or it was my QF Plat. status, of course I said it was the latter!.

As the CNS/HKG is a daylight flight of just 7 hours will go together in PE unless AS can find one more J.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thought I'd call back here because today calling AS on the toll free No. they found the seats and dates I wanted, but most of all was the top class service from the operator, she checked names fully and provided all the info we required, I'm mighty impressed and understand why AS have such good reputation.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Using AS Miles on CX Available Seats

Looked up 2 x J seats on CX Marco Polo site CNS/HKG and both available, few mins later called AS to book with miles, they say they don't have them what gives?, should I try another operator?.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.