Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone notice big price jumps overnight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Anyone notice big price jumps overnight?

I've been watching several BLI to LAS flights for the end of May as we haven't yet firmed up our dates. I noticed a huge price jump (in some cases close to double) from what the prices listed were yesterday. Has anyone else noticed similar price changes today?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:38 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
havent really poked around but there were a few new year and end of year sales going on
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC
havent really poked around but there were a few new year and end of year sales going on
Thanks for your comment. However, I don't think this is it because I've flown these flights many times before and never paid close to $500 return. I've been watching these particular flights for close to a couple of months already - no real fluctuation out of the ordinary until now.

Edit: I just notice flights for these particular time frame from SEA to LAS are $700!

Last edited by prmetime; Jan 5, 2014 at 11:42 am Reason: Additional info:
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
I noticed the same. In some cases, they tripled. Checked Expert Flyer for a variety of dates, and all of the lower fare buckets had been zeroed out. In some cases fares tripled!

Does this, I wonder, have anything to do with the schedule change glitch overnight as well as the sudden release of award space? All three happening overnight seems a little more than coincidental.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yep, same thing. I got emails from lmflighttracker that all the prices on my booked trips have gone way up.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Huge EWR/SEA fare jumps

Noted it here earlier today for EWR/SEA routings (either direction):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-morning.html

"I received notice of five (different) flights from ExpertFlyer which said U space was suddenly available. All are EWR-SEA or SEA-EWR, from now into late April. But the cheapest fare for either a Gold or Gold Guest Upgrade was $389 one way. That's remarkably high, and that was the lowest fare listed for any of those five flights, period, in any fare class."

Not sure what the heck is going on. Wonder if last night's schedule changes accidentally wiped out lower fare buckets.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:34 pm

Flights I have already purchased are showing increases of 40%+ this morning. The one purchased yesterday was up almost double. Good timing for me, I guess.

Also got lots of ExpertFlyer messages regarding award availability opening up (w) overnight.

Something tells me it's all related.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I've been looking at a trip to Vegas in March - gold UG fare is unchanged, but U space now zeroed out after being wide open.

Agree that it looks like something changed across the system....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
..."I received notice of five (different) flights from ExpertFlyer which said U space was suddenly available. All are EWR-SEA or SEA-EWR, from now into late April. But the cheapest fare for either a Gold or Gold Guest Upgrade was $389 one way. That's remarkably high, and that was the lowest fare listed for any of those five flights, period, in any fare class."...
Sounds like a good time to use a companion certificate (if the U space is indeed genuine, that is.) Not an easy route to upgrade 2 people on at time of booking.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Just last week I got in on some great LAX-CLT fares going for about $155.00 each way, routing through SEA and ATL. Mere hours after I'd bought four roundtrips, the fare jumped to $218.00 and later to over $250.00 each way.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Sounds like a good time to use a companion certificate (if the U space is indeed genuine, that is.) Not an easy route to upgrade 2 people on at time of booking.
The high-priced U space went away later the same day (and the minimum fare has returned to more reasonable level). Since these were solo trips, no reason to use a companion certificate in my own case, though that would have been a good idea for others.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Seems that something is going on

It looks like something is happening with there programming. Just not sure if it's error or change in policy. Was looking at some HI flights that had at least 2 U and now they only have 1 (hadn't booked because return sate hadn't opened). Be interesting to see if things change back. If this is indeed new policy (maybe having to do with the new lower F fares) then it will mean that I probably get rid of the CC as the companion cert will no longer be attractive. If I have to play wait list for upgrades I'd rather do it on UA as I'd rather fly in coach (E+) if upgrades don't clear on widebody than worry about getting stuck the back of an AS 737. That along with the no longer having daily flights from each Bay Area Airport to HI is making AS rather unattractive. Too bad if this holds true.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
It looks like something is happening with there programming. Just not sure if it's error or change in policy.
Don't assume any of yesterday's changes are more than a glitch. The higher "lowest" prices on my EWR routes were all reversed (they'd jumped from $159 OW to $358 OW, now back to $159) and all the U and F saver award availability that suddenly appeared on this route and others I checked at the same time went away, very quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.