FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   No more ANC-DEN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1536340-no-more-anc-den.html)

Chugach Dec 31, 2013 11:38 am

No more ANC-DEN?

According to the OAG thread on that blue-themed aviation website, AS has deleted the seasonal ANC-DEN flight. Unfortunate if it turns out to be true. I've taken that flight on AS quite a few times and it is always packed. I actually just flew it on UA a couple of days ago.

beckoa Dec 31, 2013 11:45 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

:(

They need to get the planes for the SLC buildup somewhere I guess.

I'm glad I have that line on my flightmemory...

Chugach Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 22057339)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

My thought as well. Or they're getting ready to announce ANC-SLC.

beckoa Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Chugach

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 22057339)

My thought as well. Or they're getting ready to announce ANC-SLC.

I'd be ok I think with this swap.

Its interesting to see the drawdown of ANC-midcon flights, specifically ANC-ORD once a day summer vs two, ANC-LAX iirc is once a day summer vs two, and no more ANC-SFO or ANC-YVR. Sure ANC-PHX/LAS is back on but longer lift is reduced with the increased competition from other carriers.

Chugach Dec 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 22057424)

I'd be ok I think with this swap.

Its interesting to see the drawdown of ANC-midcon flights, specifically ANC-ORD once a day summer vs two, ANC-LAX iirc is once a day summer vs two, and no more ANC-SFO or ANC-YVR. Sure ANC-PHX/LAS is back on but longer lift is reduced with the increased competition from other carriers.

If AS gets closer with AA, I wouldn't be surprised to see ANC-ORD go back to daily year round. Geographically, ORD is a better connection point for going to the east coast than SEA is. Also, UA is up to 2x ORD-ANC, plus ORD-FAI, in summer and has been running ANC-ORD this winter although I think it goes away in January/February, along with AS.

I think ANC-LAX is still 2x daily in summer.

Eastbay1K Dec 31, 2013 12:18 pm

I'd be seriously concerned booking anything far in advance that contained any other airline/transit connections, multi-segment mileage run-type trips or anything else that I couldn't be flexible with. I think this is going to be a bumpy-schedule-change-ride for the foreseeable future.

beckoa Dec 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 22057554)
I'd be seriously concerned booking anything far in advance that contained any other airline/transit connections, multi-segment mileage run-type trips or anything else that I couldn't be flexible with. I think this is going to be a bumpy-schedule-change-ride for the foreseeable future.

Some of these though can be changed for the better if we increase segments ;)

But would rather see addition over subtraction with route options.

ChugiakAk Dec 31, 2013 7:44 pm

I was surprised that AS, Frontier, and UA all ran nonstop schedules on the ANC-DEN route within two hours of each other and all were evening and/or return red-eyes. Something apparently had to give.

formeraa Dec 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ChugiakAk (Post 22059693)
I was surprised that AS, Frontier, and UA all ran nonstop schedules on the ANC-DEN route within two hours of each other and all were evening and/or return red-eyes. Something apparently had to give.

But you have to remember that UA and F9 are primarily carrying connecting passengers through DEN, whereas AS had to rely on local demand (and is not as well-known in DEN).

Often1 Dec 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Like many of these iffy routes, loads may have been high, but that doesn't say anything about yield.

beckoa Dec 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22059825)
Like many of these iffy routes, loads may have been high, but that doesn't say anything about yield.

I haven't seen this as a good sale in a while :(

beckoa Apr 5, 2020 12:08 am

BobW, too early to dream about this restarting for Summer 2021? Would be nice...

Chugach Apr 5, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 32265267)
BobW, too early to dream about this restarting for Summer 2021? Would be nice...

At this point I’d be dreaming about ANC-SFO coming back.

That said, it ANC-DEN should theoretically be back on the AS radar now that F9 isn’t trashing yields on the route. It’s a pretty good seasonal O&D route. UA does it year-round because of their hub, but seems like there would be room for AS to skim some cream off the top in the summer.

Legend717 Apr 5, 2020 2:29 pm

Why are we resurrecting a dead zombie thread from seven years ago, asking whether Alaska will reinstate a route that didn't work for them IN THE BEST OF TIMES, during the year when we're going to be lucky if Alaska can even make ANC-SEA sustainable?!?!!?

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 32266155)
At this point I’d be dreaming about ANC-SFO coming back.

That said, it ANC-DEN should theoretically be back on the AS radar now that F9 isn’t trashing yields on the route. It’s a pretty good seasonal O&D route. UA does it year-round because of their hub, but seems like there would be room for AS to skim some cream off the top in the summer.

F9 hasn't flown to Anchorage in YEARS of summers... it's not like this year is the first opportunity.

Eastbay1K Apr 5, 2020 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 32267065)
Why are we resurrecting a dead zombie thread from seven years ago, asking whether Alaska will reinstate a route that didn't work for them IN THE BEST OF TIMES, during the year when we're going to be lucky if Alaska can even make ANC-SEA sustainable?!?!!?

Why? It is an activity these days, first, by searching for the old thread, and then, replying. Clarin, a major (non-tabloid) newspaper in Argentina had an article about activities during the pandemic.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/arge...l#post32266361 (Link is to another FT post, not to the article link, which you may or may not choose to open.)

It looks like many of us are just posting here on FT instead of heeding Clarin's advice.