Wiki Posts
Search

We should count our blessings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

We should count our blessings

Hi -

Yeah, AS does not have lie-flats on Transcons. And a smaller domestic route network than the other carriers. And Digeplayers that seem to take forever to get new content.

But by and large, aren't you reasonably satisfied with your AS experiences?

I only say this because every time I look here at what is going on with other airlines, there is a lot of whining, complaining, threatening to leave, rants, apologists for airlines slamming FT posters.

The AS board seems like a calm oasis by comparison.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Honestly I agree. Yes AS is not perfect but when you compare it stacks up pretty well against even the largest airlines. It isn't a Delta, American or United with all the very big airline routes and amenities but then again but it does offer an overall better experience and hands down the best frequent flyer program.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I suppose

I am thankful for Alaska Airlines because every time I fly with somebody else I can't believe how nice the AS people are by comparison. Seriously, from the people on the phone to the FA's to the gate agents, everybody. AS has good people.

They also have the best website in the biz.

Now if they would just avoid the industry-standard "it's just a glorified bus trip" tendencies and quit trying to squeeze more rows and fewer amenities onto flights, all would be well in the world. ^
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Bethelite
I am thankful for Alaska Airlines because every time I fly with somebody else I can't believe how nice the AS people are by comparison. Seriously, from the people on the phone to the FA's to the gate agents, everybody. AS has good people.

They also have the best website in the biz.

Now if they would just avoid the industry-standard "it's just a glorified bus trip" tendencies and quit trying to squeeze more rows and fewer amenities onto flights, all would be well in the world. ^
Not that its really going to really happen, but I wish AS expanded aggressively from the Bay Area. I would love to give all my business to AS. Unfortunately AS doesn't fly nonstop Bay Area-------->ORD/JFK/MIA...
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have been an occasional AS flyer over the past 10 years or so, because I live in PHX. I must say that I generally enjoyr AS flights -- at least the GA's and FA's are nice and friendly. The boarding process is predictable (unlike WN).

I expect to travel on AS more frequently in 2014 because of the new ticket change policy and the general rise in WN fares. All things being equal, I would rather give money to my hometown (Seattle) airline.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
AS is the best of the domestic airlines. Good CS, good FFP and good amenities for their size. It would be great if AS would upscale dramatically and acquire tons of 787s and attack the supposed big girls in their own markets...but instead we have the Jeff Robbo style pantomime...
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As the old saying (ok, my old saying) goes, "Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side, sometimes it is dead." I remind people of this when they try and find greener pastures than Alaska Airlines.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:42 pm

Folks, let's remember this is a business. "Blessings"? AS is not anywhere near as generous as they were two years ago, let alone prior to that. As a business plan, it's hard to fault their reversion to the mean. It's simply a strategy of sucking less than the competition. I won't start listing all of the reductions in benefits we've experienced in the past two years as there's already a thread for that.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orwaid
But by and large, aren't you reasonably satisfied with your AS experiences?
Yes.

Surely F seating and mid-con meals (!) could be better and the route network could be larger, but I find employees largely helpful and courteous. Overall, I find it a low-stress air travel experience, which is probably the best we can hope for these days.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Folks, let's remember this is a business. "Blessings"? AS is not anywhere near as generous as they were two years ago, let alone prior to that. As a business plan, it's hard to fault their reversion to the mean. It's simply a strategy of sucking less than the competition. I won't start listing all of the reductions in benefits we've experienced in the past two years as there's already a thread for that.
+1

And being "reasonably satisfied" is likely to keep that reversion coming.

But OTOH I am not content when my customers are merely "reasonably satisfied", and AS management should not be either, though one gets the sense that they are less paranoid than they should be.

More than anything, AS needs to recognize that having added so many 3+ hour flights over the last few years the F product is rather weak on those longer flights. In-seat power is a good first step, but not nearly enough.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Hi -

I am not developing a man-crush on AS. And I agree that they are in the business of taking my money for air transportation.

What I notice is that the whining on this Board is virtually non-existent compared to the others. And there seems to be more reasoned, rational thoughts and opinions here.

And yes, the travel experience is better, thanks mainly to the employees.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi -

I am not developing a man-crush on AS. And I agree that they are in the business of taking my money for air transportation.

What I notice is that the whining on this Board is virtually non-existent compared to the others. And there seems to be more reasoned, rational thoughts and opinions here.

For years, my proposed slogan for this airline is "For the same price, we don't suck as much."
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Hi -

And I'm not developing a bromance with our mods, but the AS board is the way it is because of effective moderation. IMHO
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:13 pm

"Okay guys, hug it out"

Seriously!?!?! I travel on AS because I get the best experience for my dollar. That doesn't mean that their board room (the one where decisions are made not the one where they server free bottom shelf liquor) wouldn't murder me and sell my kidneys if they thought they could get away with it.

I "like" AS as much as I like any large company, but I'm not "blessed" to get to travel on them?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE

I "like" AS as much as I like any large company, but I'm not "blessed" to get to travel on them?
Exactly, as the blessings went away with the prayer cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.