Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Nice Gesture - Captain goes and says thank you to everyone in FC individually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold

On Flight 473 (11/25/13) LAX-SEA. Just before the takeoff the captain comes, introduces himself and thanks everyone sitting in FC individually. What a nice gesture. I ahve flown AS for 16 years, first time I have seen this. His name is Captain Dillon (spelling?). Keep it up
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I've had this happen twice, but never on AS. Once was several years ago on a CO ANC-IAH flight. The second was just this summer on DL, FAI-MSP. It's a very nice gesture.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:54 pm

Ooh! Yah! He was the CA on one of my flights out of BUR last year. Really cool for him to come by and say hi. .
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by magiclamp
On Flight 473 (11/25/13) LAX-SEA. Just before the takeoff the captain comes, introduces himself and thanks everyone sitting in FC individually. What a nice gesture. I ahve flown AS for 16 years, first time I have seen this. His name is Captain Dillon (spelling?). Keep it up
You didn't happen to catch his first name, did you? It wasn't Del/Dell/Dale or something like that, was it? I knew the family and knew that the dad was an AS pilot but never managed to fly with him.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've had this happen twice on Alaska -- although one time it was during a weather delay. CA came out and spoke to us individually in First, and then used the PA for everyone in steerage. The other time was after boarding - I guess we got on board VERY quickly & early.

Back in my days as a United Premier Exec & 1K, and of course before 9/11, I had a few United captain's write a personal note of thanks on their business cards and hand them out during the flight.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Have had it happen before on AS and a nice touch. Sometimes just a verbal announcement in F, and once a seat by seat thank you ^
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Ag
I had it happen on an AS flight from FAI -> SEA last year. I did not catch the pilot's name, but it was a very nice gesture indeed.

-JimG
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
^Absolutely a great gesture, indeed. Did you return the favor in kind through an Expression of Thanks or otherwise give him recognition for his gesture?

If we as flyers have any power, beyond voting with our wallets, it's by telling employees of the airline (and thus, the airline itself indirectly) that this service IS appreciated, sets AS apart from the competition and creates tremendous goodwill that can only add to their favor from a loyalty perspective.

It's not too late to send something into Customer Care, especially since you have all the data you need (Date, Flight number/route, and name) to insure he gets recognized.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There are a couple that regularly do it. See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...rst-class.html
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
I was on this flight as well, 2D, and thought it was a nice gesture. I think I've only seen that on one other AS flight before.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
On a related note, I once saw a pilot take his bag out of the closet, so that a (First Class I think) passenger wouldn't have to check theirs, saying something like "You pay my salary."
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:49 pm

Had the same thing happen on AS454 SEA-LAX yesterday. I think it was the same name, but I don't remember exactly.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Similar good experience by AS crew...
Arriving at OAK from Hawaii at 11pm we were waiting for the Marriott airport shuttle with the AS crew from our flight.
The shuttle arrived, and the driver told us (myself and wife) that this bus was just picking up the crew and that we would have to wait for the next bus.
The captain took it upon himself to decide that we could all fit in and told us to get on board with the crew!
I thought that was a great example of the spirit that I see in AS over other airlines.
^^^^^
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Have had it happen a few times on AS.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:52 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
just recently from MSP-SEA had it happen. Possibly the same guy? He also said he used to thank everybody after the flight when they were getting off the plane but now by the time the new lengthy post flight checks are over everybody was already at baggage claims. ( I do recall when they used to be there to say thank you as you get off). He also proceeded to go through the entire coach cabin thanking everybody, not one on one like in F but nonetheless made the trek all the way to the back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.