Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Power

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
Ouch!, I exclaim, as someone who spent 34 years with the agency.

Sure, we had our setbacks (the Advanced Automation Program of the 90's is a good example that came immediately to mind) but I take exception to the sweeping indictment you have made here.

I think you should remember your judgment on FAA's perceived lack of progress the next time the plane you fly on successfully executes a GPS approach in poor weather. The technology was pioneered here in the Alaska Region and with cooperation from industry (most notably, AS) is now in place. It's one of many examples where FAA embraced technology and led the way to a safer NAS.
Obviously, there's perfectly reasonable people at the FAA (although they all seem to be retiring).

I've been on the other side of this (trying to get avionics approved and 337s for flight testing). My own experience with the FAA is if it advances the state of the art, they don't like it. And if you finally get them to accept it they do it grudgingly and with the greatest amount of delay possible (even when there's no need for the delay).

I once spent hours talking to someone at the FAA about a piece of autopilot software. They wanted "proof" that a particular piece of software would eventually reach a certain state. I pointed out that this is mathematically proven to be impossible to prove (see "Halting Problem"). In FAA land, such fundamental laws of logic apparently don't apply.

In fairness, I will say that aviation in the US has been exceedingly safe in the past decades. Nonetheless, my own experience is that the FAA has significantly delayed a number of advances for no appropriate reason.

On the other hand, with the recent ruling that the personal electronics may be used during taxi, takeoff and landing, maybe the Grinch has finally found the true meaning of Christmas?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
... the plane you fly on successfully executes a GPS approach in poor weather. The technology was pioneered here in the Alaska Region and with cooperation from industry (most notably, AS) is now in place. It's one of many examples where FAA embraced technology and led the way to a safer NAS.
One more point. RNAV/VNAV and LPV approaches finally made it out. But as far as I know RNP approaches are still restricted to operators with a LOA from the FAA. Equivalent circuitry to what's in a modern smartphone is many times more powerful and reliable than what's required for RNP and similar approaches. Unfortunately, the cost of going through approval means that this technology cannot be effectively developed iteratively. I've had probably a dozen or more smartphones in the time that I've had one upgrade in my panel GPS.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Seat Power

Thank you for your perspectives. I realize there are always two sides to a story. The purpose of my post was to share the other side, because there most certainly is one.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:58 am

The plane is in GSO for heavy maintenance, seat replacement and the seat power mod. There can be many reasons the plane has been delayed, issues with the FAA is probably the least likely. Should be in service late next week.

Next plane is N584AS. I believe it is also getting a new style of overhead bin that are similar to the ones in the Sky interior, but with 42 to 46 greater carry on capacity.

Last edited by Putzy; Dec 7, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:00 pm

Better late than never. The first plane with seat power is on property and scheduled to fly this afternoon.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
First photos are on FB.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Am interested if the USB ports are 5W (normal phone charging) or 10W (iPad-strength charging).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Saw the release this morning ^

'bout time
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
Am interested if the USB ports are 5W (normal phone charging) or 10W (iPad-strength charging).
It would be nice if they are the latter, as they also charge some phones faster.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jackal
It would be nice if they are the latter, as they also charge some phones faster.
It'd be nice, but I'm betting on the former rather than the latter.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
Can't wait to see someone try to use a curling iron...

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. Yes, I've seen someone try before on a 777...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kermee
Can't wait to see someone try to use a curling iron...

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. Yes, I've seen someone try before on a 777...
I've seen on separate occasions someone attempt to use a hair dryer, and one of those small portable mixers (magic bullet or similar). FA stopped those stunts fairly fast.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:41 pm

Each seat row has 110VAC/325W shared between the three seats. Couldn't find any info about the USB port output. If you really have to know, you could try contacting the manufacturer.
http://www.astronics.com/index.asp
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
Originally Posted by Putzy
Each seat row has 110VAC/325W shared between the three seats. Couldn't find any info about the USB port output. If you really have to know, you could try contacting the manufacturer.
http://www.astronics.com/index.asp
"Up to three +5VDC outputs at .5 amps each for in-seat USB power applications." -- "Provides up to three USB 4.75-5.25VDC @ .5A each."

Looks like 2.5W (5VDC@500mA) per USB port so if you wanted the faster charging (ie 10W), going to need to bring your iPhone/iPad/Android AC-USB adapter.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
So, from the photo it seems each passenger has an AC socket and a USB connection? Wonder what happens to bulkhead people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.