Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Upgraded at T-1 (YAY!) -- But flew in Y :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded at T-1 (YAY!) -- But flew in Y :(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Unhappy Upgraded at T-1 (YAY!) -- But flew in Y :(

Do you think this incident is complaint worthy? If so, what sort of compensation should be given?

First off, I'm MVPG. I purchased LAX-SEA Flight 459 08:10 DEP for today, October 7. I purchased the flight just over three weeks ago and my reservation said waitlisted to first class. At T -72 hours there were 4 or so F seats and no U availability. In the next 70 hours leading to departure it appeared that no U seats became available and 3 seats in F were available.

At two hours before departure I attempted to check in. Both my phone app and web check-in stated that I needed to call reservations (this is highly unusual). It also showed that I no longer had a Y seat. I opted to not call reservations and instead check-in in person as I needed to check bags.

While in the hotel shuttle - one hour prior to departure - I got an automated phone call from Alaska Airlines informing that I have been upgraded to F. I was then able to check in online; however, I did not have a seat assignment. I dropped off my bags. Nor I of the bag agent discussed my seat assignment (later my phone boarding pass showed my original seat).

When I was walking up to the gate, I heard my name called - thinking it was for my new F seat. However, they handed me a boarding pass with my original seat assignment. The supervisor said that I was upgraded, but there were no seats, so I had to go back to Y. But, she said with a smile, we were able to get you your old seat (exit row).

I'm interested in insights on what triggered my inability to check in online and why I got the upgrade phone call and then got no upgrade. Also, I noticed that I was not on the upgrade list after T-1 hour.

Thanks All

PS on top of that I ended up on one of three AS aircraft without GoGo And yes, the aircraft, as far as I know, was always scheduled with just 12 seats in F.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd send your info to AS CS so they can investigate. The sooner the better as the essential data does purge.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
Do you think this incident is complaint worthy? If so, what sort of compensation should be given?
You booked Y, you flew Y. In what way were you wronged by Alaska that would warrant some sort of compensation?

If you want to fly F, buy F. Otherwise you ought to expect nothing.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
You booked Y, you flew Y. In what way were you wronged by Alaska that would warrant some sort of compensation?

Your participation doesn't offer any helpful information. Better to just not place a reply here.

People that earn status (as the OP has) and then have a privileged monkeyed with, want to know what's going on, and this is a great forum for that. I would recommend sending a note to AS to see what happened..
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I have no problem with questioning what happened and letting Alaska CS know.

However the OP asked " what sort of compensation should be given?". steadyASshegoes was just answering the question. Why should anyone expect to be given compensation when they got the seat they paid for?

Everyone loves complementary upgrades but they should never be expected.

Let Alaska know so if there is a glitch they can fix it. But asking for compensation seems ridiculous since you got what you paid for and your original seat reservation.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you have a confirmed seat in F on LAX-DCA and are involuntarily downgraded to a middle aft seat due to a 'system glitch' I'd say something's due. I'm curious what happened in this case though.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa

If you have a confirmed seat in F on LAX-DCA and are involuntarily downgraded to a middle aft seat due to a 'system glitch' I'd say something's due. I'm curious what happened in this case though.
If it were United it would be a few hundred $ credit. I got $200 for BOS-EWR downgrade. Then again i'm pretty sure United started the whole trail of how much money can i get out of anything that doesn't go in travelers favor. Maybe AS will send some miles your way? It doesn't hurt to complain, it insures job security for customer care agents.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum

It's attitude just like that as the reason I stopped flying as much anymore. Thanks for reminding me that the cranky "if you want an upgrade you should pay for it" attitude is still out there.
First, since the 24 hour upgrade thing has been so glitchy for so many years I would never ignore an upgrade message and go out of my way to confirm a seat.
With the first upgrade message you had already changed the course of your trip from how much time you allowed to not eating or drinking before the flight. And this alone caused you undue stress and headache during your flight. The fact, that you were confirmed the upgrade and were essentially downgraded means you are morally due some kind of compensation. Sounds like AS may not feel the same way but most of the bigger airlines would.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
It's attitude just like that as the reason I stopped flying as much anymore. Thanks for reminding me that the cranky "if you want an upgrade you should pay for it" attitude is still out there.
First, since the 24 hour upgrade thing has been so glitchy for so many years I would never ignore an upgrade message and go out of my way to confirm a seat.
With the first upgrade message you had already changed the course of your trip from how much time you allowed to not eating or drinking before the flight. And this alone caused you undue stress and headache during your flight. The fact, that you were confirmed the upgrade and were essentially downgraded means you are morally due some kind of compensation. Sounds like AS may not feel the same way but most of the bigger airlines would.

Don't forget the PTSD after the whole event and the psychological counseling needed to overcome the distress you felt having been downgraded.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Quote:

Originally Posted by westcoastman

Don't forget the PTSD after the whole event and the psychological counseling needed to overcome the distress you felt having been downgraded.
Hahaha! Perfect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.