Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Allianz coverage not available in your state

Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

So, booking a ticket today, which Alaska was happy to charge me a travel insurance premium, I clicked through to the T&C, and coverage is not available in my state (OR). Odd, so I select Washington, not available. Alaska, not available. California, not available.

Anyone actually purchase this insurance and be able to see the terms?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
State specific requirements make trip insurance sold by airlines and other travel providers not available to residents of certain states, WA being the most common state to be excluded. The insurers usually have a separate plan for residents of those excluded states available for the same price, but the travel providers themselves may not carry it. Some providers, such as Costco, do offer such plans, but oftentimes one will need to go to the insurers website to purchase the specific insurance plan for residents of ones state.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
State specific requirements make trip insurance sold by airlines and other travel providers not available to residents of certain states, WA being the most common state to be excluded. The insurers usually have a separate plan for residents of those excluded states available for the same price, but the travel providers themselves may not carry it. Some providers, such as Costco, do offer such plans, but oftentimes one will need to go to the insurers website to purchase the specific insurance plan for residents of ones state.
I have had this same frustration. Why would AS choose an insurance carrier that does not have insurance available to residents of WA or AK? Would it not stand to reason that the bulk of their customers live in those two states?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:06 am

I'm an AK resident and have purchased trip insurance through Allianz and AS multiple times. Had to use it at least once and had no problem at all. Was very impressed actually.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:38 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am also an resident of Alaska- have purchased many times- Also have traveled with friends that are residents of Oregon- they used it while we were all in Mexico- he got prompt reliable service and he was pleased the coverage. Has purchased it for all his trips since. So do not understand the problem.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Since my agency sells Allianz, I've gotten pretty familiar with their limitations. I can not sell to Washington residents, but can to every other state and some Canadian provinces as well.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
By any chance did your itinerary begin in another state. For example, I see the insurance which isn't available to WA residents offered when booking PSP-SEA, but not when booking SEA-PSP as WA residents will usually book itineraries starting in WA or an airport close to the WA border.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.