Earning miles on Dragon Air?

Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Earning miles on Dragon Air?

Hi,

Can I earn miles on Mileage Plan on a Cathay Pacific flight operated by DragonAir?

The fare class is (V).

I am at a loss to find a mileage program that I can earn miles on a Cathay flight operated by Dragon Air at a (V) class fare.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is a naive question, I'm still a little new at this!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/fr...rogrammes.html

Don't think so --- (how's that for a definitive answer?)

The Dragon Air website would suggest "yes", but the AS website is a bit more difficult to understand what does and doesn't count since it doesn't mention Dragon at all.

What's the CX flight number? Is it in the range that AS gives credit for?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ity-f-j-5.html in posts 63 and 65 suggests that you can't redeem on Dragon --- if that's the case you probably can't earn either.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
CX is an AS partner for earning. KA is not.

You can put the miles into AsiaMiles (CX/KA's program). Possibly other oneworld programs too... but not AS.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A "V" fare won't earn on AA or BA either. AsiaMiles might be your best (and maybe only) option.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:59 pm

what about redemption on Dragonair? I know I can use AA miles for KA flights? Can I use the AS miles for KA flights? If so, is it considered as the same airlines as Cathay or a different one?

Thx!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dingalpha
what about redemption on Dragonair? I know I can use AA miles for KA flights? Can I use the AS miles for KA flights? If so, is it considered as the same airlines as Cathay or a different one?

Thx!
AS does not have a mileage agreement with KA.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
For sure I have never received AS miles on my KA flights. I usually just book the miles to Asia Miles and in a couple years when they expire I buy magazine subs with them.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS does not have a mileage agreement with KA.
Thanks for the update. Seems the two cities in Mainland China that Cathay flies are Beijing and Shanghai. All other cities are operated by KA....
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by dingalpha
Thanks for the update. Seems the two cities in Mainland China that Cathay flies are Beijing and Shanghai. All other cities are operated by KA....
Those are all pretty short hops which is why they're KA in the first place, so it's not a huge loss on the earn side. I know every bit helps, but it's not really the end of the world as far as accrual goes.

On the redeem side, if you can get your hands on some BA Avios those short distances start to look pretty good for you.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Those are all pretty short hops which is why they're KA in the first place, so it's not a huge loss on the earn side. I know every bit helps, but it's not really the end of the world as far as accrual goes.

On the redeem side, if you can get your hands on some BA Avios those short distances start to look pretty good for you.
I understand that. BA avios comes really handy. OW has the rule that one's separate tickets will be automatically linked as long as they are for one itinerary. I was wondering if that applies to KA flights? In particular, if I booked US-Hongkong on Cathay with Alaska miles and then Hongkong-Mainland China on KA with Ba avios, does the luggage checked all the way to the destination ?

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:31 pm

Yes, at the airport ask the agent to do a split-onward check-in for your KA flight. Please have the details handy. Paper copy of your itineraries should suffice.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Yes, at the airport ask the agent to do a split-onward check-in for your KA flight. Please have the details handy. Paper copy of your itineraries should suffice.
Thank you so much for your information!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Hi guys, I searched the forum thoroughly and did not find an answer to my question, this post seems quite relevant to my situation.

I bought a return ticket on KA/CX from China to SFO via HKG recently. Ideally, I would like to credit the segments of China-HKG operated on Cathay Dragon to British Airways for Avios, and the segments of HKG-SFO to Alaska. When I go to Manage My Flights on CX website, it gives me an option to fill in my FFP to each segment. It states if I want to use the same frequent flyer programme for all flights. Then I filled in each leg with different FFP number as mentioned above. It is excellent if CX allows passengers to credit miles to different FFP segment by segment.
My question is how reliable this options are? Is there anyone had previous experience that it worked? I am worrying CX will credit all miles to either British Airways or Alaska, as I do not need more tier points for BAEC this year, but Alaska do not credit for KA flights.
I am not sure if the safe option would be leaving the field blank, and do a retro claiming after all of my flights are completed.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by roy2016
Hi guys, I searched the forum thoroughly and did not find an answer to my question, this post seems quite relevant to my situation.

I bought a return ticket on KA/CX from China to SFO via HKG recently. Ideally, I would like to credit the segments of China-HKG operated on Cathay Dragon to British Airways for Avios, and the segments of HKG-SFO to Alaska. When I go to Manage My Flights on CX website, it gives me an option to fill in my FFP to each segment. It states if I want to use the same frequent flyer programme for all flights. Then I filled in each leg with different FFP number as mentioned above. It is excellent if CX allows passengers to credit miles to different FFP segment by segment.
My question is how reliable this options are? Is there anyone had previous experience that it worked? I am worrying CX will credit all miles to either British Airways or Alaska, as I do not need more tier points for BAEC this year, but Alaska do not credit for KA flights.
I am not sure if the safe option would be leaving the field blank, and do a retro claiming after all of my flights are completed.

Many thanks in advance.
Safest option is to leave it blank and send in boarding passes later. It leaves you in control of where the information goes.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GOLD
thanks a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.