Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CZBB
Originally Posted by Lunamoth
On a recent flight, a FA stated "that within the next year, AS is changing its name." Management, according to the FA, doesn't want to be called "Alaskan" on the East Coast.
That's OK, they're not called "Alaskan" on the west coast either
Agreed.

That's like being called AK
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS,UA
I could seem them merging with Delta or another airline before they changed names
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Well i do think people up in Alaska would be happy if it were called Seattle Airlines. They say so all the time on the facebook page
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BearX220
S

It's not "Alaskan" anyway, BTW...

You and I know the name. But we are not typical consumers. We are discussing this in a forum dedicated to AS on flyertalk. A consumer form of the 1%...

The FA's point was that on the East Coast, AS is mistakenly referred to as "Alaskan" and that irritates management as much as it did you.

Now let me go rinse your condescending tone off...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
totally unrelated to missy's thoughts, but code share whore might be a good one.

There's a reason the eskimo is smiling.

Maybe it just needs a little ad campaign.

There is no R in Washington, and there is no N in Alaska. N-less since 1932.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I'm pretty sure they are renaming the airline after me
Bodacious Tatas?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
I heard similar 'galley talk' two months ago. It kinda scares me
How much would your life change if they renamed your beloved?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I'm pretty sure they are renaming the airline after me
I wouldn't mind "Ask Jenn" to be renamed "Ask Missy".
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:43 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by dieselbear
Bodacious Tatas?
^^
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
DL's not doing anything with the Western name these days.. It's nicely generic :P
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Well i do think people up in Alaska would be happy if it were called Seattle Airlines. They say so all the time on the facebook page
Yeah, and as soon as they change the name to something other than AS airlines then the people there get irritated because "they made AS what it is" and "how dare AS take that away from them...". The AS people very much have a love/hate relationship with AS. Always have, always will. The cold hard fact is that if AS were to change the name, the state of Alaska would probably never find another major airline to represent them in the way that AS has.

I'm sure the name is going to stay the same. I don't think it's any big secret that the company is currently undergoing a whole branding reassessment. What that means for anything, nobody really knows. Everything, from what I understand, was on the table for discussion. I think management knows that, for AS to continue to be successful, they really have to find a way to broaden their market awareness. I think management would be thrilled if people on the east coast referred to the company as "Alaskan" because at least they would be referring to the company at all. The problem is there is very little brand awareness outside of the pacific NW. There is slightly better brand awareness in California but even there, AS could do with a slightly higher profile. I think AS wants to be a major west coast airline, much in the same way Jet Blue is on the east coast. In order to do that they have been taking a close look at how they can change the perception of AS being a "small botique airline up in Seattle." In the end I think there will be some major changes but I don't think that the name is going to change and I don't think the smiling Eskimo will completely disappear. Later this year I think the planned changes will be rolled out so stay tuned...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Yeah, and as soon as they change the name to something other than AS airlines then the people there get irritated because "they made AS what it is" and "how dare AS take that away from them...". The AS people very much have a love/hate relationship with AS.
I think you meant the AK people very much have the love/hate relationship....

I'm sure the name is going to stay the same. I don't think it's any big secret that the company is currently undergoing a whole branding reassessment. What that means for anything, nobody really knows. Everything, from what I understand, was on the table for discussion. I think management knows that, for AS to continue to be successful, they really have to find a way to broaden their market awareness. I think management would be thrilled if people on the east coast referred to the company as "Alaskan" because at least they would be referring to the company at all. The problem is there is very little brand awareness outside of the pacific NW. There is slightly better brand awareness in California but even there, AS could do with a slightly higher profile. I think AS wants to be a major west coast airline, much in the same way Jet Blue is on the east coast. In order to do that they have been taking a close look at how they can change the perception of AS being a "small botique airline up in Seattle." In the end I think there will be some major changes but I don't think that the name is going to change and I don't think the smiling Eskimo will completely disappear. Later this year I think the planned changes will be rolled out so stay tuned...
Crazy as this may sound, I think that the proliferation of Alaskan beer to points east will help. The brewery has applied for the vacation of a street that separates their operation and the word I have heard in town is that they will be vending their wares on the east coast within two years. They're already in the Midwest. I expect there will be some plant expansion. It's only going to get bigger.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dave1013
Crazy as this may sound, I think that the proliferation of Alaskan beer to points east will help. The brewery has applied for the vacation of a street that separates their operation and the word I have heard in town is that they will be vending their wares on the east coast within two years. They're already in the Midwest. I expect there will be some plant expansion. It's only going to get bigger.
Apparently Alaskan Brewing Company is popular in Texas. Now AS serves 4 cities in Texas (3rd largest state )

Coincidence?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 98103
totally unrelated to missy's thoughts, but code share whore might be a good one.

There's a reason the eskimo is smiling.

Maybe it just needs a little ad campaign.

There is no R in Washington, and there is no N in Alaska. N-less since 1932.
and Oregon never left (as in: Or eh gone)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:25 pm

There is slightly better brand awareness in California but even there, AS could do with a slightly higher profile. I think AS wants to be a major west coast airline, much in the same way Jet Blue is on the east coast. In order to do that they have been taking a close look at how they can change the perception of AS being a "small botique airline up in Seattle." In the end I think there will be some major changes but I don't think that the name is going to change and I don't think the smiling Eskimo will completely disappear. Later this year I think the planned changes will be rolled out so stay tuned...
I agree that the Alaska name will not change. Seattle Airlines or West Coast Airlines would just offend Alaskans, and that's the wrong thing to do with more competition on flights up there.

What AS really needs to do is refresh its in-flight product, and they already have rolled out some conceptual plans to do this with the new seats and IFE server. Overall, they need to somehow come off as being a bit more "hip" to compete with the likes of B6, VX and even DL to some extent. Don't get me wrong, I love AS, but AS hasn't had a new livery or corporate logo since 1990 and who knows, maybe they will even decide its time to replace the triangles on the bulkheads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.