FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Pre-Boarding for Not Using Overhead Space (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1468094-pre-boarding-not-using-overhead-space.html)

jsguyrus May 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Pre-Boarding for Not Using Overhead Space

Yesterday I flew AS 773 from DCA to PDX and after First Class and Gold's had boarded they announced, "anyone who would not be using the overhead bins could board at this time, oh and MVP's too".

As is the norm for DC flights, the flight was full, but I was a little disappointed that one of the small perks of being an MVP just went "poof".

Later that same day I flew from PDX to SEA on QX and they did the same thing which is even more strange considering the ala carte option.

Its been a few weeks since I have flown but did I miss something?

Often1 May 17, 2013 8:02 pm

How did anything go poof? Presumably the sole reason to board before the next guy is so that you get OH space. If you don't need OH space, why would you even want to board early and how does it affect somebody with a shiny plastic card saying he's "elite"?

In the good old days, F boarded last.

mbluecpa May 17, 2013 8:06 pm

This has been going on a while, possibly as a test for some of that time (I recall hearing it in PHX for the first time about a year ago), but I have not heard it on shuttle flights.

I'm not sure if it's to speed boarding or to encourage bag or gate checking, but I'm amazed at the people who get excited to take advantage of this offer. If I don't need overhead space, my goal is to be the last one on before the door closes.

jsguyrus May 17, 2013 8:10 pm

One of the perks of being an elite (even a lowly MVP) was pre boarding so you don't have to get stuck in the aisle while people are wandering around trying to find their rows and perhaps give you a moment or two to get settled before your seatmate shows up. While not every elite may want to take advantage of that perk I do.

It also seemed to me since the flight attendants don't know who is boarding and who isn't that they have no way to keep people who have boarded early saying they would not use the overhead from actually using the overhead.

Eastbay1K May 17, 2013 11:06 pm

I do not know why people want to get on board early if they do not need overhead space (or WN, where there is open seating). But if they do, good for them. The "perk" for elites isn't diminished in that no overhead space is used, and your plane takes off at the same time. The elite also sits in the uncomfortable seat a 2 or 3 (or 1) less minute(s).

MSObelle May 18, 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 20769392)
One of the perks of being an elite (even a lowly MVP) was pre boarding so you don't have to get stuck in the aisle while people are wandering around trying to find their rows and perhaps give you a moment or two to get settled before your seatmate shows up. While not every elite may want to take advantage of that perk I do.

It also seemed to me since the flight attendants don't know who is boarding and who isn't that they have no way to keep people who have boarded early saying they would not use the overhead from actually using the overhead.

I see you are getting some people not feeling that this is a perk. I'm with you. I like this perk. I have also wondered how they keep people from using the overheads. I've noticed it is more for people with roller-bags only...but does that stop the person from putting a coat or a "large personal item (backpack)" in the overhead?

I like to get on board early because I like to get situated too. So I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you that this perk is a perk.

slopeboy40 May 18, 2013 7:21 am

I just read that AA was going to implement this policy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/amer...rhead-luggage/

I was surprised to read it as I thought their group numbering system worked.

jsguyrus May 18, 2013 8:56 am

I guess "perks" are an eye of the beholder kind of thing. I prefer to board early although it is clear some people prefer to board last. My point is simply if you allow everyone without a large bag to "pre-board" with MVP's it isn't really pre-boarding anymore. In a situation like terminal B at DCA in the afternoon there is not a seat to be had, the Sky Club is full, and there is almost no standing room in the gate area, why not pre-board and at least be able to sit down.

Often1 May 18, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 20771254)
I guess "perks" are an eye of the beholder kind of thing. I prefer to board early although it is clear some people prefer to board last. My point is simply if you allow everyone without a large bag to "pre-board" with MVP's it isn't really pre-boarding anymore. In a situation like terminal B at DCA in the afternoon there is not a seat to be had, the Sky Club is full, and there is almost no standing room in the gate area, why not pre-board and at least be able to sit down.

That is a function of the fact that AS hands out status like penny candy. Raise the qualifications, include a $ spend minimum and there will be fewer "elites". Then cater to those folks.

fti May 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 20771254)

You should fly Delta sometime. "Zone 1" is actually the fourth group to board - pre-boards, First Class, Sky Priority (elites) then finally "zone 1." Among other things, Delta can't count :D

PDX973 May 19, 2013 10:22 am

Ive mostly heard it when leaving from PHX

slopeboy40 May 19, 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20771416)
....include a $ spend minimum....

Booooo. Dislike that idea on every level. :td:

MonThruThurs May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

That is a function of the fact that AS hands out status like penny candy. Raise the qualifications, include a $ spend minimum and there will be fewer "elites". Then cater to those folks.

Couldn't agree with this more. Today on AS 460, F went out full and there were ~9 on the upgrade list. There were probably 35 or more people who rushed the podium when the GA called for F and MVP Golds. The GAs should be doing a better job at policing the line and only let people board with their assigned groups.

I haven't noticed this at other stations, but it is becoming an increasing problem at SEA.

Eastbay1K May 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Really, they don't. What we are experiencing is a hub concentration and combined with smaller aircraft and limited frequencies, things that most other airlines don't experience to the same magnitude.

What % of AS passengers hit SEA or ANC as an O/D or connection point on a trip? 75%? More? I don't know the answer, but it is not insubstantial. Some of AS' most lucrative pax have a hard time making top status, i.e., the last-minute West Coast and regional hops. The MVP/G qualifying levels are no easy feat for these folks.

I have no problem with adding a spend component as an additional qualifying method but not as another overlay component to the program, i.e. so the poor passenger that is spending $800 a pop for a last minute regional hop once a month has at least the same status as someone who is doing $250 RT transcons once a month.

slopeboy40 May 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 20776410)
I have no problem with adding a spend component as an additional qualifying method but not as another overlay component to the program, i.e. so the poor passenger that is spending $800 a pop for a last minute regional hop once a month has at least the same status as someone who is doing $250 RT transcons once a month.

I disagree. It's a frequent flier program. Your status should be a direct result in how much flying you do, not how much money you are spending. You can spend $$ and get elite benefits simply buy purchasing an F fare. That $800 should cover it.