Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
It's encouraging that there are others who believe that is the only acceptable answer.
And, btw, a truthful answer of $0 works (at least for a brand-new "business").
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And, btw, a truthful answer of $0 works (at least for a brand-new "business").
thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
If multiple personal cc's are active under same AS ffn, does each card get a companion fare benefit? Or only one since there is only one AS ffn associated to them?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
If multiple personal cc's are active under same AS ffn, does each card get a companion fare benefit? Or only one since there is only one AS ffn associated to them?
Yes. No.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by jeepie
Yes. No.
I had called in to cancel one of the cc's BoA CSR gave contrary information. Acc to her, if the cards are tier to one AS membership there is only one companion fare given out.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I noticed that the terms for the card now say that the companion cert is issued after spending $1k in the first 90 days after opening. When I opened cards last year the cert posted roughly 20 days after approval. Has anyone received a cert under the new terms, and did it post after the close of a statement, or did it still post on its own? $1k spend isn't a big deal, but I'm debating whether to try to get another cert now when it could take 6-8 weeks to actually receive it.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:44 am

I had an AS Visa with a $17K credit limit. Before I applied for a second personal card, I lowered my credit limit to $7000. I applied for the second personal card, and did not get approved on the spot. About two weeks later (why so long?), I got a letter from BoA saying that I was approved, but they were lowering my credit limit on card #1 to $5K and that my credit limit on new card #2 would be $17K. I now have 2 cards and was able to get the bonus on both.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I had an AS Visa with a $17K credit limit. Before I applied for a second personal card, I lowered my credit limit to $7000. I applied for the second personal card, and did not get approved on the spot. About two weeks later (why so long?), I got a letter from BoA saying that I was approved, but they were lowering my credit limit on card #1 to $5K and that my credit limit on new card #2 would be $17K. I now have 2 cards and was able to get the bonus on both.
how recent was this? is it in the month of October 2016?

i presume you didnt call up BOA Recon at all.

the BOA DP on approval of AS cards are really all over the map, just like what a FT poster had said
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
how recent was this? is it in the month of October 2016?

i presume you didnt call up BOA Recon at all.

the BOA DP on approval of AS cards are really all over the map, just like what a FT poster had said
This is all within the last two weeks. I didn't call recon; it all go approved on its own.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:09 am

i assume this was already answered, but can you apply directly for the platinum visa or does bofa assign who gets it. I got a signature about 6 months ago and want to apply for another card
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bernyx
i assume this was already answered, but can you apply directly for the platinum visa or does bofa assign who gets it. I got a signature about 6 months ago and want to apply for another card
You are applying directly for the Signature. But if BofA deems you not worthy of a minimum $5k credit limit, you are then issued a Plat instead. It states it right on the application:
The benefits above apply to Visa Signature accounts and different benefits apply to Platinum Plus accounts. Card type is determined by creditworthiness.

There is a workaround after the fact that others have detailed in this thread and linked in the wiki at the top, but basically you don't get a say in which card they decide to give you at the time of application.

Last edited by Finkface; Nov 11, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I applied for an AS Visa recently (great FICO, no debt) and while I usually get instant approval, I got the message about needing more time for review--same thing happened when my wife applied....hopefully this still remains an easy card to churn.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:42 am

So my statement closed on the 8th and it shows where the bonus was earned. However, it hasn't made it to Alaska yet? Any idea how long it takes once the statement closes to get into my Alaska Account? Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Finkface
You are applying directly for the Plat. But if BofA deems you not worthy of a minimum $5k credit limit, you are then issued a Signature instead.
The other way around -- you apply for the Signature (the better card) and if they don't deem you worthy, you get stuck with the Platinum card instead.

I don't know why anyone would want to apply for the Platinum card.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The other way around -- you apply for the Signature (the better card) and if they don't deem you worthy, you get stuck with the Platinum card instead.

I don't know why anyone would want to apply for the Platinum card.
Sorry, yes, you're right, that is what I meant. I'll edit. I got it right in the quote from the app but mixed it up when I was typing as I was basing it on what the OP wrote.

So OP, did you get a Signature 6 months ago? And you now want to apply for a Plat? That doesn't make any sense as notquiteaff says. Or did you actually get a Plat 6 months ago and now want a Sig?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.