Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 1:33 pm

Talked out of 20k miles?

Greetings. Long time lurker, first time post. New to the miles game. Last week I applied for the Alaska visa signature. I was approved for the platinum with $4600 CL. I read that people have had luck calling reconsideration. I was prepared to reallocate $400 from my cash rewards card. However, the credit rep told me I would have a better chance by having a zero balance on the cash rewards card.

I wanted to consider what she said and after researching decided to go ahead and submit the request. I was approved, asked to upgrade to the visa signature. B of A said it will be 45 days before that happens and another 2-3 weeks before the miles and companion cert post. The 5k miles already posted.

Question is, did I botch this application by not having the credit rep run the request same day? I've been reading through looking for an answer. Has anyone been able to get the 25k bonus this way?
Old May 25, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look in the BofA Alaska Airlines thread in the credit card forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ss-25k-up.html
Old May 25, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Have a look in the BofA Alaska Airlines thread in the credit card forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ss-25k-up.html
Thank you Jerry. I have seen that. it's a long thread with several discussions. I'm hoping someone share their experience with me.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:29 pm

Thank you Jerry. I understand that the best way to go about this is to create a duplicate application and get approved over the phone for the second one, then cancel the platinum.

However, I didn't do this because I just learned about it. That is why I am asking if anyone has had success doing it the "wrong" way. Worst case for me is I wasted a hard-pull and reallocated part of my existing CL for 5k Alaska miles. I am using this as a learning experience for my next application which I hope will be much smoother.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SDtravel619
Thank you Jerry. I understand that
Jerry was also subtly reminding you and others that it's best for (and a rule) one to search for a similar thread before starting a new one, especially for obviously popular topics like credit cards.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:32 pm

Thank you dayone. I have read through that thread and did not find the answer. That is why I posted a new topic. It is possible however that the answer is somewhere in the 100+ pages and I didn't notice it.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Perhaps too subtle.

Even if the thread lacks an answer, it's still the best place to pose the question.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by SDtravel619
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time post. New to the miles game. Last week I applied for the Alaska visa signature. I was approved for the platinum with $4600 CL. I read that people have had luck calling reconsideration. I was prepared to reallocate $400 from my cash rewards card. However, the credit rep told me I would have a better chance by having a zero balance on the cash rewards card.

I wanted to consider what she said and after researching decided to go ahead and submit the request. I was approved, asked to upgrade to the visa signature. B of A said it will be 45 days before that happens and another 2-3 weeks before the miles and companion cert post. The 5k miles already posted.

Question is, did I botch this application by not having the credit rep run the request same day? I've been reading through looking for an answer. Has anyone been able to get the 25k bonus this way?
I don't know why people are giving you a hard time for not being an instant expert on AS apps. It doesn't sound like you exactly "botched" anything. You could have done it better, had you known what to do, but what you did was ok.

If you had done a second app the same day, you would be getting the second card in the mail in 2 weeks, with only one HP. Instead, going the way you did, you will be getting the useless Plat card in 2 weeks (just shred it and toss it out), then the replacement card in 2 months, with almost certainly a second HP. In my experience you will still get the full 25K miles, and if your app included a statement credit after completing a min spnd, you will probably get that as well.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I just got an offer to spend $250 on my Alaska Airlines Visa card in the month of June and receive a $50 flight discount towards any Alaska Airlines flight. I had a question on this I was hoping others can help me out with. Would I be able to apply this $50 flight discount in conjunction with my yearly companion certificate?
Old May 26, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I just got an offer to spend $250 on my Alaska Airlines Visa card in the month of June and receive a $50 flight discount towards any Alaska Airlines flight. I had a question on this I was hoping others can help me out with. Would I be able to apply this $50 flight discount in conjunction with my yearly companion certificate?
Can't combine any codes when using the companion cert.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
You have the signature or the plat?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I don't know why people are giving you a hard time for not being an instant expert on AS apps. It doesn't sound like you exactly "botched" anything. You could have done it better, had you known what to do, but what you did was ok.

If you had done a second app the same day, you would be getting the second card in the mail in 2 weeks, with only one HP. Instead, going the way you did, you will be getting the useless Plat card in 2 weeks (just shred it and toss it out), then the replacement card in 2 months, with almost certainly a second HP. In my experience you will still get the full 25K miles, and if your app included a statement credit after completing a min spnd, you will probably get that as well.
Thanks for your response Robert. Based on what I read in this thread and what you've written, it seems that I will eventually get the 25k miles. How much headache I'm willing to endure to get those to post is up to me. I'm not happy about the 2nd hard pull but nothing I can about it now. I'm still learning this miles and points game and will certainly stick around the forum a whille.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:36 am
Suspended

It's up on the website: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/

30,000 bonus miles offer

• Annual companion fare from US$121 ($99, plus taxes and fees from $22) after you make $1,000 or more in purchases within the first 90 days of your account opening. There are no blackout dates.
  • Free checked bag for you and up to six other passengers on the same reservation.
  • 3 miles for every $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, vacation packages, cargo and in-flight purchases.
  • 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
What is "Up to 5 miles per $1 spent using Mileage Plan Dining." supposed to mean? Is this different than being a VIP member of the dining program? Getting 5mi/$ has nothing to do with the CC you use.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AS
Still no mention of No Foreign Transaction Fees on updated Alaska Visa /BOfA
Card features page.
Why have they not added this ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.