Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:25 am

Just recently approved for my first AS visa. Looking through the paperwork, I was surprised to see it still has forex fees.

In any case, I didn't see anything documenting the specifics of insurance coverage. Can I find this on BOA's website somewhere?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nall
Just recently approved for my first AS visa. Looking through the paperwork, I was surprised to see it still has forex fees.

In any case, I didn't see anything documenting the specifics of insurance coverage. Can I find this on BOA's website somewhere?
No, there are no specifics anywhere on their site regarding insurance coverages. I recently messaged them asking about insurance coverages and they refused to give me the specifics, saying I had to phone in and speak to an agent. I messaged back that all I wanted to know was the amount of baggage insurance the card provided (I was checking a stand up paddleboard on an AS flight and wanted to know what the coverage was if it was stolen or damaged) and they said they do not give that information out online. The only way to find out is to call. I couldn't be bothered calling in so I never did find out.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Signed up for the card on 10/1 and when I checked my mail today it was here. I didn't have an AS account so I had BofA create one for me. When I received the card I went to AS.com and set up an account. I'm very happy to see the 25,000 miles have already been deposited ^
My experience was slightly different, but faster. I applied on Oct 11 and was approved instantly. I got the CC info and used it to purchase an AS ticket. I haven't received the physical card yet, but the 25K miles appeared in my account today.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
My experience was slightly different, but faster. I applied on Oct 11 and was approved instantly. I got the CC info and used it to purchase an AS ticket. I haven't received the physical card yet, but the 25K miles appeared in my account today.
You got the CC info before the actual CC arrived?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nall
You got the CC info before the actual CC arrived?
I did as well. It showed up in my online account right after approval so I got the card number from there. Activated it online. Educated guess as to the expiry and I was good to go. Booked a ticket on AS that day. You don't need the CVV number to buy a ticket on the AS site.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Just received a targeted offer via e-mail. 50K miles in total. 25K once approved and 25K after spending $2K within the first 90 days.
Few months late on this, but what was the title of this email?

I'm on the lookout for a 50k offer, and totally regretting all the Alaska/BofA mailings that I instantly shredded without opening these past few months.

Alternatively, does BofA Preferred Gold status confer any special access to a 50k signup offer?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have the personal and biz cards. The 25k for personal posted quickly.

A few weeks have gone by, with lots of spending on the biz card, but nothing has posted to Alaska yet.

What is the normal timing? Should I be concerned they are playing games with my account? I need those miles to book a trip.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How to get $60000 Emirates First Class with $300

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...NzgzNjE4ODQ3S0

No wonder AS / BofA now become much more hostile.

Dont understand these bloggers' mentality and this guy is not even the more well-known one.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 29, 2015 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
How to get $60000 Emirates First Class with $300

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...NzgzNjE4ODQ3S0

No wonder AS / BofA now become much more hostile.

Dont understand these bloggers' mentality and this guy is not even the more well-known one.
His mentality is wanting to get lots of publicity for his booking service:

"I have a separate online business that pays the bills".
"We help compare different frequent flyer programs, and based on your preferences, we recommend which program to use."

But I wish him luck getting that business going. What I know from experience is that maybe 1 in 1,000 people who read that series of posts will even seriously contemplate trying to do the same thing. Even without seeing this in his Q/A page:

"Can I still book the trip you took?

Unfortunately, the loophole was closed a couple of months ago. A milder version still exists, though."

We have dozens of acquaintances that see us take off on FC trip after FC trip. They seem to get a vicarious thrill from hearing about our latest exploits. But not one person has seriously tried to learn how we do it. It just doesn't seem to sink in that they could possibly do it themselves.

And of course, for the average newbie who reads that article, and applies for an Alaska card, getting approved for a Platinum level card with a 1K mile sign up bonus will pretty much end the quest anyway. Now if the article had linked to this thread, that might have been different. But still, only that scant 1 in 1,000 would have made the effort to study this thread enough to master the process.

The article was great inspiration for me though. Every time I read something like that it's like a kick in the pants. Yes, we are booked SQ Suites Class FRA-SIN-HKG next August, and after a stopover there we're coming home JAL FC. But we've yet to fly Emirates, and we're taking the 'easy to book' Western Europe option again next Summer. Australia stills seems like a distant mirage. But since I am one of those 1/1,000, that sort of encouragement helps to raise my expectations.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, AS, Good food in distant places
Quick BOA AS Credit Card Questions: Searched the thread 1st, but couldn't find exactly what I was searching for. In May I let some friends use 1 of my companion certificate codes & it worked no problem. I gave another 1 to another friend a few days ago & the T&C say it either has to be my name or cc to use on the reservation.

So, #1, When was the change?
#2, Any workarounds?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Hey FOEDogg,

You don't have to be flying but to my knowledge your card does have to be used to purchase the tickets.

The easiest solution would be to book the two tickets yourself with your credit card for the two friends flying. Just enter their information as the travelers and send them the confirmation. Then have them pay you via check/paypal or something.

We did this when a colleague of my friend was having her pass expire that same day. We gave her our info, she booked the tickets, we paid her back and even gave her a gift for the savings Companion pass gets used, and she got "free" points on her AS credit card.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:41 pm

When applying for the personal card, how does BOA determine which card you will get? I see 3 diff ones(signature, platinum, classic). Can I get a signature and a platinum personal card and get both bonuses? Or I would have to apply for the personal and the biz card if I want the double bonus?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
See post #724. I think only one gives the 25,000 bonus.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Eonflux
When applying for the personal card, how does BOA determine which card you will get? I see 3 diff ones(signature, platinum, classic). Can I get a signature and a platinum personal card and get both bonuses? Or I would have to apply for the personal and the biz card if I want the double bonus?
The second is correct. The Platinum and Classic have significantly lower bonuses.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, AS, Good food in distant places
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Hey FOEDogg,

You don't have to be flying but to my knowledge your card does have to be used to purchase the tickets.

The easiest solution would be to book the two tickets yourself with your credit card for the two friends flying. Just enter their information as the travelers and send them the confirmation. Then have them pay you via check/paypal or something.

We did this when a colleague of my friend was having her pass expire that same day. We gave her our info, she booked the tickets, we paid her back and even gave her a gift for the savings Companion pass gets used, and she got "free" points on her AS credit card.

Thanks, we were planning on doing just that but didn't know if there were an easier way without us having to actually send one another some other form of payment. Appreciate the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.