Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I see this mention of "signature card". What are the different levels and why would anyone want one over the other?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And, what is the Platinum card?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I see this mention of "signature card". What are the different levels and why would anyone want one over the other?
And, what is the Platinum card?
the three "levels" of the card are signature, platinum, and classic. they come with different award mile signup bonuses. only the signature card comes with the benefit of a discount for board room membership, and the companion fare. in other words, most here believe that the signature card is the only one worth having, and most will not accept platinum/classic approvals. i trust that the forum experts on the cards will correct any misinformation in my post.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the posting. If someone is only looking for miles and not Boardroom discount, or companion fare,then no big deal. Just looking to earn miles to use for partner awards.

Just found this page that indicates only the Signature gives the 25,000.

http://www.comparecards.com/blog/ala...t-card-review/

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the three "levels" of the card are signature, platinum, and classic. they come with different award mile signup bonuses. only the signature card comes with the benefit of a discount for board room membership, and the companion fare. in other words, most here believe that the signature card is the only one worth having, and most will not accept platinum/classic approvals. i trust that the forum experts on the cards will correct any misinformation in my post.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the posting. If someone is only looking for miles and not Boardroom discount, or companion fare,then no big deal. Just looking to earn miles to use for partner awards.
well, still sort of a big deal, because the signature card earns 3x miles on certain purchases, while the platinum and classic cards only earn 2x/1x respectively. the sign up bonuses are also dramatically different. of course, if you are not planning to fly AS at all and just pile up miles to burn, then fine...but you should also be aware that AS doesn't take too kindly to this practice and you risk having your account closed and losing your mileage balance based on some recent reports here. particularly true if you're churning multiple AS visas over a short time.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:09 am

I am out of the USA and new with BOA- "all" the banks will send me my cards overseas - anyone have any experience ith BOA

also below posted " I have not been able to pay it via any kind of autopay,-" others had same problem???????

Originally Posted by pashber
I know this is an old comment, but I wanted to mention my experience. I recently received the Alaska Air VISA Signature credit card, and my first bill came out. I have not been able to pay it via any kind of autopay, because I keep on getting a message saying that, due to the status of my account (I guess because it's new), I cannot pay the bill. I did "chat" with BofA and was able to sign up for autopay (go to www.bankofamerica.com/choosedirectdebit) but was told it could be 1-2 billing cycles before it would be "effective." And no, I still cannot pay "manually" on line, although the customer service person said I could.

I am using a third party bank account to pay, as I don't have a bank account with BofA. Considering the primitive state of their payment system, I don't expect to ever give BofA any of my future business. I've had no problem with Amex, Chase or Barclay setting up auto payments. Heck, even my storage facility (where I have a $35 a month cube) allows me to change my credit card autopay every month!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
I applied for this card while recently making some AS ticket purchases, but I did not receive instant approval via the online app. About a week later I got a snail mail informing me I was approved, and the card arrive about a week after that (the Visa Signature version, with a $15K+ credit line).

I called the 800 number on the back of the card to confirm I was eligible for the 25K miles bonus, and to my pleasant surprise the CSR informed me I would be getting the 25K AS miles "upon approval", which are usually deposited 6-8 weeks after sign up, and I'm eligible for an additional 25K miles after a $2K spend within the first 90 days. Has anyone else received this similar offer?

The only hangup is that the AS Mileage Plan number on my card is a new, different number than my existing Mileage Plan number. The CSR will have it changed, but that could take another 6-8 weeks to receive my card, and any miles accrued before then will be deposited into this new account number. He could not guarantee that BoA nor AS could transfer those miles (as well as the 25K sign up bonus miles) to my existing MP account in the future.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and can comment on the best way to resolve this?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpIntheError
About a week later I got a snail mail informing me I was approved, and the card arrive about a week after that (the Visa Signature version, with a $15K+ credit line).

I called the 800 number on the back of the card to confirm I was eligible for the 25K miles bonus, and to my pleasant surprise the CSR informed me I would be getting the 25K AS miles "upon approval", which are usually deposited 6-8 weeks after sign up, and I'm eligible for an additional 25K miles after a $2K spend within the first 90 days. Has anyone else received this similar offer?
i have not, but i would love to know if this is true. my recent application came back with a similar credit limit and i'd be happy to spend $2K for an additional 25K miles.

my "upon approval" miles were deposited 5 days after my application was approved, along with my companion fare, which i already spent
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Really? 50,000 miles? I have never seen that, but I'd be all over it, too, for a second card. Tell us again how you got this offer?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP
Yes i have never heard of this spend 2k to get 25k more miles offer. please keep us posted. i am very interested.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Really? 50,000 miles? I have never seen that, but I'd be all over it, too, for a second card. Tell us again how you got this offer?
I've never seen it either. In fact, the offer I responded to when I applied for the card via the AS website when booking tickets said nothing about the additional 25K. So I'm a little skeptical - maybe the rep I talked to had bad information? I'll try and get the offer in writing from BoA before I go spending $2K on this new card. I'll report back when they confirm or provide a reply.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never seen it either. In fact, the offer I responded to when I applied for the card via the AS website when booking tickets said nothing about the additional 25K. So I'm a little skeptical - maybe the rep I talked to had bad information? I'll try and get the offer in writing from BoA before I go spending $2K on this new card. I'll report back when they confirm or provide a reply.
thanks i have already spent close to $1K on mine and had it for only 2 weeks so making $2k would be easy peasy at this point.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I've never seen it either. In fact, the offer I responded to when I applied for the card via the AS website when booking tickets said nothing about the additional 25K. So I'm a little skeptical...
I'm pretty skeptical, too. I've been watching AS card offers for more than a few years, and I've never heard of any offer at all like this. I suspect someone (probably the agent) was simply confused, but time will tell.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'm pretty skeptical, too. I've been watching AS card offers for more than a few years, and I've never heard of any offer at all like this. I suspect someone (probably the agent) was simply confused, but time will tell.
Here's the official response from BOA. This matches the offer I signed up for - 25K miles upon arrival, and $100 statement credit after meeting the spend requirement. No 25K additional bonus MP miles sadly, but not surprising. At least they are honoring the $100 statement credit offer, which you only get if you apply for the card while purchasing an AS ticket, as I understand.

Still, that more than takes care of the first $75 annual fee. Can't say I'm too disappointed all things considered.

One final note - this is the 3rd AS Visa from BoA I've signed up over my lifetime (I've previously canceled the card twice before), so the sign up offer is churnable.

---
Dear [],

Thank you for your email dated 10/XX/2015 regarding your Alaska Airlines Signature Visa ending in XXXX. I will be happy to provide information in regards to the matter.

I understand the importance of ensuring the correct Mileage Plan number is listed on the account. Please allow me to inform you that after review, I see that research has been submitted to update the mileage plan number for the account. I kindly ask that you please allow 10-14 business days to receive a letter by mail with the results of the request.

Please allow me to inform you that after review, I see the account is eligible for a $100.00 statement credit for spending $1000 within the first 90 days from their open date. The account was rewarded the 25,000 enrollment points on 09/XX/2015.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you online today. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX, Bank of America
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:27 am
Suspended

I got a 114 miles "ticket purchase bonus". Anyone else see this on his/her statement?

Edit: seems to be bonus for buying award tickets.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Oct 5, 2015 at 10:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.