Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Cannot Set Up Autopay for First Payment

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Too late for your situation, but there's a "Manage Pay To/Pay From accounts" tab under Bill Pay that you can use to set up another account to use to pay your BoA cards. Or at least it works that way for me, and is as easy or easier than Chase, Citi, or Amex. BoA may have issues, but online payment isn't one of them.
I know this is an old comment, but I wanted to mention my experience. I recently received the Alaska Air VISA Signature credit card, and my first bill came out. I have not been able to pay it via any kind of autopay, because I keep on getting a message saying that, due to the status of my account (I guess because it's new), I cannot pay the bill. I did "chat" with BofA and was able to sign up for autopay (go to www.bankofamerica.com/choosedirectdebit) but was told it could be 1-2 billing cycles before it would be "effective." And no, I still cannot pay "manually" on line, although the customer service person said I could.

I am using a third party bank account to pay, as I don't have a bank account with BofA. Considering the primitive state of their payment system, I don't expect to ever give BofA any of my future business. I've had no problem with Amex, Chase or Barclay setting up auto payments. Heck, even my storage facility (where I have a $35 a month cube) allows me to change my credit card autopay every month!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1P
I applied for a business card three weeks ago, and made a first purchase two weeks ago. However, the 25k bonus still has not shown up in my account. Is it normal? How long should I wait?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kgkg
I applied for a business card three weeks ago, and made a first purchase two weeks ago. However, the 25k bonus still has not shown up in my account. Is it normal? How long should I wait?
For the business card, it posts after first purchase AND payment of the annual fee.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by vhrum
For the business card, it posts after first purchase AND payment of the annual fee.
Thank you! I will pay the fee now.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Does anyone not use their AS Visa not much or not at all, but just keep it for the companion fare? I used to use if for all my AS tickets, but I've got another card where I now prefer to put those, so I guiltily buy a little something every few months just to keep it active (usually if we have to buy something on board). Do I even have to do that?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Does anyone not use their AS Visa not much or not at all, but just keep it for the companion fare? I used to use if for all my AS tickets, but I've got another card where I now prefer to put those, so I guiltily buy a little something every few months just to keep it active (usually if we have to buy something on board). Do I even have to do that?
I have pretty specific uses for mine (tickets on Alaska, mainly), but I know people who never use theirs. It's fine - BofA won't do anything to you if you don't spend, as long as fee gets paid every year.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't fly AS often - signed up for the card for the miles to use on AS' partners, and I live on the East coast so it can be difficult to use AS - but I would put air tickets on my AMEX gold anyway for 3x points. I do like to share the love between my cards, and I spend on my AS card sometimes. I also MS on it a bit.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jchilders
I have pretty specific uses for mine (tickets on Alaska, mainly), but I know people who never use theirs. It's fine - BofA won't do anything to you if you don't spend, as long as fee gets paid every year.
Anyone never spend on their AS card/s, and still get approved for another AS Sig card? I never fly AS, in fact I haven't bought a ticket from any airline in years, but I do want to get more AS sign up bonuses.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Anyone never spend on their AS card/s, and still get approved for another AS Sig card? I never fly AS, in fact I haven't bought a ticket from any airline in years, but I do want to get more AS sign up bonuses.
Shouldn't be a problem based on all the reports I've read, as long as everything else is in order with respect to credit history, income, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by vhrum
Shouldn't be a problem based on all the reports I've read, as long as everything else is in order with respect to credit history, income, etc.
^
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:03 pm

^
Brugge, just thought you should hear what happened to me last month when I tried to apply for my 2nd AS Personal Visa sig (1st was opened June 2014, closed July 2015) after putting little to NO spend on the 1st AS visa sig last year (<$150)

Applied at the end of July, got instant approved...for only 2k credit limit Visa Plat. You're well aware of the hassle that I was then faced with. Tried calling in to have it reconsidered for a Visa Signature with $5k CL, the CSR specifically mentioned that I had only spent about $100 on the card last time I had it, and that was a specific reason for the reduced credit limit this time around. After being shut down multiple times, I told her that the card was useless to me unless I had a $5k limit to put an upcoming large purchase on the card, so since they refused to increase the CL, I had her close the card immediately, which she did.

I turned around and applied for the business AS visa last week, and am still waiting to find out the result of that app.

Just wanted to point out that the CSR could see exactly how much (or little, in my case) I had spent on my past AS card, and said that this definitely affected my most recent application/credit limit.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Thefirst
Brugge, just thought you should hear what happened to me last month when I tried to apply for my 2nd AS Personal Visa sig (1st was opened June 2014, closed July 2015) after putting little to NO spend on the 1st AS visa sig last year (<$150)

Applied at the end of July, got instant approved...for only 2k credit limit Visa Plat. You're well aware of the hassle that I was then faced with. Tried calling in to have it reconsidered for a Visa Signature with $5k CL, the CSR specifically mentioned that I had only spent about $100 on the card last time I had it, and that was a specific reason for the reduced credit limit this time around. After being shut down multiple times, I told her that the card was useless to me unless I had a $5k limit to put an upcoming large purchase on the card, so since they refused to increase the CL, I had her close the card immediately, which she did.

I turned around and applied for the business AS visa last week, and am still waiting to find out the result of that app.

Just wanted to point out that the CSR could see exactly how much (or little, in my case) I had spent on my past AS card, and said that this definitely affected my most recent application/credit limit.
Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to post that. Very helpful... ^
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i just applied for the signature visa, and the online application page told me i was approved with a $1xxxx credit limit. does that mean that i'm getting the signature card w/ all associated benefits, or that a platinum/classic card might show up in the mail?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS
$5,000 and up usually is for Visa Signature Card.
Our daughter tried to get one earlier this summer. Approved for $4,000 which was for Plat.Visa. Would not budge on reconsideration, account cancelled.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
$5,000 and up usually is for Visa Signature Card.
Our daughter tried to get one earlier this summer. Approved for $4,000 which was for Plat.Visa. Would not budge on reconsideration, account cancelled.
Sorry, but less than $5K is not a Sig....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.