Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by ExecTraveler
If you're just in it for the miles and companion cert, and nothing else, then I suppose the Signature Card may be worth it.

However, I would rather get a root canal without any novocaine than deal with Bank of America. Just sayin'
I may not want to "bank" with BOA but they have done me right with this card. From no hassle negating fraudulent charges to covering damages on a rental car. Granted there were a few hoops on that but they came through in the end.
Old May 1, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Southwest-Companion Pass, Hilton - Gold, Hyatt - Diamond
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'll be honest. When I said "couldn't find much on it"--I had looked on Miles Buzz, Credit Card Programs, Credit Card offers. Then, just to make sure, I looked at the first three pages on the Alaska Air forum. I guess I missed it all around.

Are you so down on the Alaska card because you knew what it once was? I already have the SPG card. I'd go to Chase Sapphire/Ink, but I'm not in the place right now to hit the $3k/3 mos. yet.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the companion class ticket was also good for First Class ....
Old May 1, 2013, 2:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rickjanak
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the companion class ticket was also good for First Class ....
It was. Starting 1 Aug 2012, all new companion certs are valid for Coach class only. See this thread for discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ugust-1st.html
Old May 1, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by rickjanak
Was until July 2012 when it was changed to Y only. I just redeemed my code for F last night as it was about to expire. Ditching this card as soon as the points from this statement post.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
My wife and I have had this card (actually two accounts) for a number of years. Then again, we bank of B of A and have for years. We're in the Phoenix area (and also have the USAirways B of A cards.

The companion tickets work for us because we've good friends in Portland. This year we will be using the companion ticket deal (1st class leftover) for a RT Portland/Kona (we've a timeshare there).

In theory we could have used the companion ticket for PHX/Portland/Kona and back with layovers in each direction (Alaska is good about the layovers with the companion tickets). However, while the outbound flight (Phoenix to Portland) is at a decent time, Alaska currently only has one Portland/Phoenix flight and we're not going to get up that early in the morning for it.

Then again, we can use our USAirways companion ticket for the Phoenix/Portland RT.

One thing I'd note to the nay sayers regarding the Alaska companion ticket -- not only can you use it for trips flights to Alaska and Hawaii -- you can't do that with most of the other companion ticket setups and certainly not with USAirways), but also, taking advantage of the companion ticket with Alaska is a piece of cake.

With USAirways, you MUST handle the reservation by phone, and then you need to send the certificate in. That is one pain of a way to handle this compared to Alaska where you can handle the entire transaction online.

Since both USAirways and Alaska are set up with Bank of America -- it is NOT the bank that's getting in the way of a rational way to handle the companion ticket, it is USAirways. Personally, I'd love to see that change with the merger -- we shall see.
Old May 11, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
I received my new Alaska Signature card today and wanted to ask if anyone reading this can tell me
how long it took for the bonus miles to post to their account? There is one award ticket available
for the flight I am interested in. Also, the details for the card stated that you'd receive 25000 miles
upon approval. Do you feel I still need to use the card before miles would be in the queue for posting?

Thanks to those to take the time to reply.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
You are kidding, right? Of ALL of the threads on Alaska Airlines on flyertalk, read the "$110 companion ticket valid for COACH only...."which at present has 859 "replies" and 71,453 "views"-which means the thread is one of the top 3 or so in Alaska's FT history. Many of us, me included, used to love this card! However, Alaska and BofA has so diminished the value of the card that a lot of us have cancelled our accounts. I cancelled 4. Tread very slowly!. There are WAY better cards out there than Alaska's-keep an eye out on www.boardingarea.com for suggestions. In my view, Alaska's present offering is a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 point scale. Check out Chase Sapphire, AMEX Starwood, Chase Ink amongst others. All get you WAY more bang for the buck! good luck.
I agree...the B of A Alaska Visa is really one of the lower end cards now...25K is about as low as they go now...I got the card (and later cancelled) a few years ago for the 40K bonus they were offering...THAT was worth the $75.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by atanac
I received my new Alaska Signature card today and wanted to ask if anyone reading this can tell me
how long it took for the bonus miles to post to their account?
I think that I got the bonus miles a few days after calling to authorize the card. I did not spend anything before the miles posted.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by atanac
how long it took for the bonus miles to post to their account? There is one award ticket available
for the flight I am interested in. Also, the details for the card stated that you'd receive 25000 miles
upon approval. Do you feel I still need to use the card before miles would be in the queue for posting?

Thanks to those to take the time to reply.
I applied at the beginning of Feb. and the miles were in my account Feb. 18. I hadn't even received the card yet at that point. I didn't call to activate the card until mid April and still haven't used it yet. So the miles should post as soon as you are approved. You don't have to activate or use the card to get the bonus.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
It's a good card for me

This AS BofA Visa works for me. I like flying on AS, first of all. Have been flying AS since the 1980's with very few inconveniences or complaints. I'm not a fan of BofA at all, but it's a necessary evil in this case. While comparing this cc with other lucrative cc's out there is a valid consideration, I'm perfectly happy simply comparing a RT fare between city pairs against the annual fee of this card. I have no problem just isolating what this AS cc can do for me regarding upcoming travel in 2013/14. Bonus miles upon approval? I mean, why would I pass on that? Equally applicable to my desiring this card is, I live in FL and using AS to fly to the west coast nonstop from here beats the DL ATL headaches or AA xcns by a mile!
Old May 14, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Did a few searches, both via Google and FT, and don't see much on this card. I've seen a few places (Million Mile Secrets, Points Guy, etc) write about it as an "underrated gem"...yet it doesn't get much love from the MilesBuzz forum. Why?

Current offer:
1) Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval.

2) Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110(USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary).

3) Earn 1 mile per $1 on all purchases

4) Earn 3 miles per $1 on Alaska Airlines tickets/vacation packages/cargo purchases

5) Earn up to 5 miles per $1 at partner hotels and restaurants

6) Enjoy no mileage cap. There's no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.

7) Go far and wide with points redeemable on over a dozen airlines. Visit the Alaska Airlines website for the airline partner list.

Numbers 1, 2, and 7 make this a very attractive offer. Especially #1, "25,000 miles upon approval"--no spend required.

The only negative I see is the $75 annual fee. This is not waived the first year.

So FT: any luck with this card? Reviews? Positives/negatives? Luck with getting approved? Recon?

Thinking about getting it just for the 25k, which I'll eventually transfer over to AA, DL, BA, Emirates, Qantas, etc....

Looking at straight numbers, I do believe 25,000 miles is "worth" $75. What about you?
No referral fees for this card, so it's not promoted on blogs
Old May 16, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Received an offer for 30000 AS miles. Doesn't seem targeted.

1) Up To 30,000 Total Bonus Miles. Earn 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Bonus Miles upon approval and an additional 5000 Bonus Miles as a "Thank you" from Bank of America for being a customer.

2) Coach Companion Fare every year from $118 USD

3) Earn 1 mile per $1 on all purchases

4) Earn 3 miles per $1 on Alaska Airlines tickets/vacation packages/cargo purchases

5) Enjoy no mileage cap. There's no limit to the number of miles you can earn with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:11 am

I read somewhere that it should show up right after approval. I was waiting to buy 2 tickets for my parents to come visit me and I signed up with this card thinking I would get the companion ticket in time to use on my parents. Well now it has been like a week and a half, and I already got the card, activated, used it once and still no bonus mile or code. what the hack? is there anything I can do besides waiting?

BTW, just want to make sure I am looking at the right place, when it show up it should be under Discount Codes right?

Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dealhound123
I read somewhere that it should show up right after approval. I was waiting to buy 2 tickets for my parents to come visit me and I signed up with this card thinking I would get the companion ticket in time to use on my parents. Well now it has been like a week and a half, and I already got the card, activated, used it once and still no bonus mile or code. what the hack? is there anything I can do besides waiting?

BTW, just want to make sure I am looking at the right place, when it show up it should be under Discount Codes right?

Thanks
I'd call the bank & ask them when the miles will post. The CP code should be available as soon as miles post.

[Edit: here's the fine print-
Bonus Miles Offer. You will qualify for 30,000 bonus miles upon approval of a Visa Signature® account, 10,000 bonus miles upon approval of a Platinum Plus® account or 8,000 bonus miles upon approval of a Preferred account. Bonus miles and applicable card benefits will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ account approximately three to four weeks after approval. Passenger is responsible for all taxes and fees, including U.S. Security Fee of $5.00 per enplanement and applicable checked baggage fees. ] Might want to give the process 3 to 4 weeks.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 28, 2013 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:12 am

25K miles bonus is one among the lowest for most cards, any better offer right now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.