Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS issues travel advisory for Sequestration

AS issues travel advisory for Sequestration

Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Interesting situation this AM on AS 136 out of ANC. Scheduled departure was 10:30 AM, we pushed back shortly after that time, then sat like a rock on the tarmac while another plane pulled in to C1.

Captain came on several times to report we hadn't been released by air traffic control for take-off. No other details were given. Finally started rolling out toward the runway just after 11 AM.

But the oddest part? The AS app and FlightStats both show the official take-off as 10:34 AM. Ummm ... we were doing the equivalent of treading water at that point.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
But the oddest part? The AS app and FlightStats both show the official take-off as 10:34 AM. Ummm ... we were doing the equivalent of treading water at that point.
FlightStats and AS use the gate departure time as the start time for the flight. FlightStats will, however, show the actual take-off time in the extended details section. FlightAware uses the actual take-off and touch-down times for their stats.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jackal
FlightStats and AS use the gate departure time as the start time for the flight. FlightStats will, however, show the actual take-off time in the extended details section. FlightAware uses the actual take-off and touch-down times for their stats.
Ah ha! THAT'S how folks can fudge some good stats. Just push back and then sit a spell. Minutes can turn into hours ...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Ah ha! THAT'S how folks can fudge some good stats. Just push back and then sit a spell. Minutes can turn into hours ...
Departure time only counts for internal metrics at AS. The DOT cares only about arrival time (a flight is considered "on time" if it arrives within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival). The on-time stats you see are based on arrival time, not departure time. Even if a plane's door closes right on time and you sit for an hour, there's no way the arrival time can be fudged to show an on-time arrival, and the DOT will count it as a late flight.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
It's happening.

From the Dallas Morning News:

Senate passes bill to end FAA furloughs for air traffic controllers

The Associated Press

Published: 25 April 2013 08:04 PM

WASHINGTON -- With flight delays mounting, the Senate approved hurry-up legislation Thursday night to end air traffic controller furloughs blamed for inconveniencing large numbers of travelers.

A House vote on the measure was expected as early as Friday, with lawmakers eager to embark on a weeklong vacation.

It's good for the air traffic controllers (and, presumably, other employees with safety-related duties) but the other FAA'ers will still be subject to furlough.

Last edited by dave1013; Apr 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reason: New info
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
The House just passed the bill and the President said he would sign it!

Originally Posted by dave1013
It's happening.

From the Dallas Morning News:

Senate passes bill to end FAA furloughs for air traffic controllers

The Associated Press

Published: 25 April 2013 08:04 PM

WASHINGTON -- With flight delays mounting, the Senate approved hurry-up legislation Thursday night to end air traffic controller furloughs blamed for inconveniencing large numbers of travelers.

A House vote on the measure was expected as early as Friday, with lawmakers eager to embark on a weeklong vacation.

It's good for the air traffic controllers (and, presumably, other employees with safety-related duties) but the other FAA'ers will still be subject to furlough.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Is AS just using the sequester as an excuse

I've been watching the flights in and out of PDX all week. AS seems to be cancelling far more (through QX) flights than any other carrier. Are they just engaged in demand management or are they really having to re-accomodate all of these people? If so, how are they going to manage? FlightStats says:

QX AS

Wed 8 1
Thurs 9 0
Fri 22 1
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
I've been watching the flights in and out of PDX all week. AS seems to be cancelling far more (through QX) flights than any other carrier. Are they just engaged in demand management or are they really having to re-accomodate all of these people? If so, how are they going to manage? FlightStats says:

QX AS

Wed 8 1
Thurs 9 0
Fri 22 1
Perhaps they have a couple Q400's undergoing MX? On QX later tonight myself.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer

QX AS

Wed 8 1
Thurs 9 0
Fri 22 1
To be honest, Alaska and Horizon are really still two different operations. Alaska hardly ever cancels flights. Horizon is a bit different. I have seen on multiple occasions where two SEA-GEG flights on QX are rolled into one mainline AS 737. I have no inside info here, but I strongly suspect that Horizon is short on aircraft right now, and I could surmise that it's due to planes not coming out of heavy maintenance checks on-time. I really can't imagine how the sequester would be affecting QX operations to that degree. Since you posted, I decided to look on flightstats myself, and it would appear mainline AS is operating as per usual this week, apart from a few late evening flight delays into LAX.

Also, keep in mind that flightstats also picks up cargo, positioning and maintenance ferry flights, so sometimes massively delayed or canceled flights that show up on flightstats are not actually scheduled passenger operations. But, if 22 flights were cxld Friday on QX, there is definitely either a weather or operational issue somewhere in the system.

Last edited by EIPremier; Apr 27, 2013 at 12:14 am
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by EIPremier
To be honest, Alaska and Horizon are really still two different operations. Alaska hardly ever cancels flights. Horizon is a bit different. I have seen on multiple occasions where two SEA-GEG flights on QX are rolled into one mainline AS 737. I have no inside info here, but I strongly suspect that Horizon is short on aircraft right now, and I could surmise that it's due to planes not coming out of heavy maintenance checks on-time. I really can't imagine how the sequester would be affecting QX operations to that degree. Since you posted, I decided to look on flightstats myself, and it would appear mainline AS is operating as per usual this week, apart from a few late evening flight delays into LAX.

Also, keep in mind that flightstats also picks up cargo, positioning and maintenance ferry flights, so sometimes massively delayed or canceled flights that show up on flightstats are not actually scheduled passenger operations. But, if 22 flights were cxld Friday on QX, there is definitely either a weather or operational issue somewhere in the system.
Its interesting to see what is happening with QX. They've been getting new a/c it sounds like to try to increase reliability. They even ditched the Chinese Q400's... sounds like they had a few 'bugs'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.