Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

red eye transcon/Hawaii F service changed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm on the re(re) start of AS24 SEA-BOS redeye on Monday. I'll report back, but sounds like a nice start to the flight. ^
I was rather happy to have this as an option vs. a scone thing as I was zonked out until we got to the gate- rarely do I miss a landing.

SEA-BOS was the same BBQ pork sandwich as on ANC-PDX lunch flight, but small enough I wanted another one There was a cheese platter later on (I secured from the Northern Bites program) but this sandwich was better to BOS vs. PDX.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:16 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is definitely a very good change! ^

Food and a glass or two of red wine magically puts me to sleep The portions sound just right, not too heavy (you don't want to sleep with more than just "hitting the spot" amount of food in your tummy) and not too light causing our bellies to growl endlessly when waking up after landing.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Standard redeyes (ie ex-ANC) are the same... Warmed nuts upon takeoff, and warmed Danish/Scone shortly before arrival. Lots of folks seemed to accept the pastry- but it was delivered a bit late in the flight (fine by me as more zzzz's, but more folks were awake)
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
So are the transcon and Hawaii red-eyes still 1/2 sandwich and salad for the snack (and no more pastry)?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So are the transcon and Hawaii red-eyes still 1/2 sandwich and salad for the snack (and no more pastry)?
As of November yes. Had a 1/2 sandwich/salad ANC-ORD...
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:42 am

Did HNL-BLI red-eye twice in the last month and the snack was a cheese plate.

Wasn't much to it.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAStoFAI
Did HNL-BLI red-eye twice in the last month and the snack was a cheese plate.

Wasn't much to it.
And no pastry, right? Perhaps the Hawaii flights have switched back to the old red-eye snack (cheese plate) and the 1/2 sandwich and salad is only on the transcons now.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Better to just play it safe and bring your own on board anymore. Sad but true.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

And no pastry, right? Perhaps the Hawaii flights have switched back to the old red-eye snack (cheese plate) and the 1/2 sandwich and salad is only on the transcons now.
This seems to be the case. Not sure why the difference, but the transcons have a little heartier food offering than the red eye Hawaii - west coast flights.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This seems to be the case. Not sure why the difference, but the transcons have a little heartier food offering than the red eye Hawaii - west coast flights.
Higher fares?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Delta serves a whole sandwich on its red-eye hawaii flights.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing
Delta serves a whole sandwich on its red-eye hawaii flights.
A rather substantial heated sandwich with one of those dancing deer cookies and a bag of Cape Cod chips. There is also the snack basket.

Can't recall if there was a bowl of fruit or not. Maybe that was on the following breakfast flight.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
A rather substantial heated sandwich with one of those dancing deer cookies and a bag of Cape Cod chips. There is also the snack basket.

Can't recall if there was a bowl of fruit or not. Maybe that was on the following breakfast flight.
I think there was fruit as well but i was half asleep when it was offered. I believe its was also the lunch meal on my DTW-LAX flight. I ordered special meal on that one but vaguely remember the same sandwich option.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold

I would like to wake up to more than a pastry as well.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Better to just play it safe and bring your own on board anymore. Sad but true.
Agreed. I'm in the minority, but I often don't sleep well on the redeye transcons and end up hungry halfway through with very few options, even for purchase.

I just flew Delta's BizElite JFK-SEA transcon yesterday (banking the miles to Alaska, of course) and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.