Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Summary of Retention Offers

4/3/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $37.50 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/21/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $75 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/22/2013
Spend: 35-40k annually; Retention offer: APR reduction, AF refund, 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

11/29/2013
Spend: $3K annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Conversion to Bank Americard Travel Rewards card.

11/25/2015
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

8/4/2016
Spend: $2,800 annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

10/15/2016
Spend: $1,100 in 11 months; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

01/03/2017
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

01/03/2017
Spend :$15K annually; Retention offer: Convert to BA Travel Rewards Card; Result: Closure.

09/04/2020
No Retention offer: Result: Closure

9/25/2020
Spend $700 annually. No retention offer. Result: Uncertain, may close.
Print Wikipost

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
Just to follow up on my posts from yesterday...

I called BofA this evening and explained the entire situation to the rep. She seemed very sympathetic and apologized multiple times. She was able to see that I did indeed call in on February 2, and explained that many of their processes were backlogged due to a huge system upgrade they underwent in mid-February (I do recall seeing something to this effect around that timeframe when attempting to log into their site). She also told me that my downgrade request was still showing "pending".

She took it upon herself to place me on hold and speak to a supervisor to expedite my request since it has been 5 weeks now. She also said that she would overnight my card once she could confirm that the request was complete. ^ In addition, She told me that she would call me herself to let me know when to expect my card (should be Wednesday or Thursday).

Probably the nicest BofA rep I've ever spoken with. It's almost like they knew I was calling in to cancel the account outright

Good luck with getting your card as well ucfzf10.
Thanks for the update. This is helpful.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:05 am

Just tried conversion..no go

Just tried converting my very long-standing Alaska card to any no fee card. Rep said my account doesn't qualify for conversion and my only option is to cancel my account if I don't want to pay the fee.

I guess I'll try calling tomorrow and see if I have any different luck.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AS
Called B of A Alaska Visa as AF was coming up next month. Spoke to Lynn who said they cannot waive fee. She offered to downgrade to travel rewards Visa . I said I would research that product and call back. Lynn said it would be noted in file.
Called back next morning and spoke to rep in Pasadena. Said I wanted to avoid another AF and within 10 seconds I was told, " I am closing your account, OK, your account is closed". Whoa.....I said I wanted to downgrade to travel rewards card and he said it was too late.since he closed the account, there was no account to downgrade. So....
Applied online for $100 statement credit with spend Alaska Sig and immediate approval. 25,000 miles and companion certificate posted to account next day.
Win-Win. Hoping card arrives soon, one of my 4 companion certificates expiring in 2 weeks and it would be nice to put spend on new card.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There is never any reason to pay the annual fee on the regular AS card since you can cancel at the 11th month and reapply for a new card that has a $100 statement credit to cover the annual fee and give you $25....not to mention the fact that you get another 25,000. There is no point in begging them to downgrade the card or waive the fee when it is such an easy card to churn....and who doesn't want 25,000 extra miles every year??
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AS
Update: card arrived in yesterday's mail. Yea!!
One week and 1 day after online approval...excellent work.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
New user here. Just wanted to share my experience. My goal was to convert my Alaska signature VISA to the BankAmericard Travel Rewards card (I need a no foreign tx fee card).

Called the customer service number, and the rep (who was very nice) tells me conversion is no longer available due to a policy change. I told him that I have heard otherwise and I would like to speak with the retention department. I was transferred to a really nice lady who tells me she can convert the card no problem, and it would take approximately 2-4 weeks.

Pretty painless process; I was expecting a lot more of a headache. Just remember, don't listen to the customer service rep, and instead ask to speak to the retention department.

Good luck.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: SPG, Southwest, Aadvantage
Called regarding the business version of the card. No problem waiving the annual fee one time as a goodwill gesture. Sounded very YMMV, but success on the business product here.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Both cards getting 2500 free points for keeping the card open. AF not due until May 2016.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Called today about an annual fee that will be posting imminently. Offered 2500 miles to keep the card open. Asked him to check for anything else in his system and he said he couldn't find any "quarterly offers." He tried to sell me on the downgrade; I said I'd think about it and call back later - which will probably be the moment that the 2500 miles post
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: I've lost count
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There is never any reason to pay the annual fee on the regular AS card since you can cancel at the 11th month and reapply for a new card that has a $100 statement credit to cover the annual fee and give you $25....not to mention the fact that you get another 25,000. There is no point in begging them to downgrade the card or waive the fee when it is such an easy card to churn....and who doesn't want 25,000 extra miles every year??
Doesn't that mess with your credit score (average age of accounts)? Are the bonus miles and statement credit worth the hit one's credit score would take from the annual churn?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlove
Doesn't that mess with your credit score (average age of accounts)? Are the bonus miles and statement credit worth the hit one's credit score would take from the annual churn?
I can only speak for my credit score (and my wife's) but yes, the extremely small hit to the FICO score (maybe 2 or 3 points??) is definitely worth the yearly bonus miles and statement credit. As I said before, there is no reason you should ever have to pay the annual fee with this card.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: I've lost count
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I can only speak for my credit score (and my wife's) but yes, the extremely small hit to the FICO score (maybe 2 or 3 points??) is definitely worth the yearly bonus miles and statement credit. As I said before, there is no reason you should ever have to pay the annual fee with this card.
Thanks! My worry about impact to credit score is the only reason I've never churned a card. Perhaps I've placed too much importance on the wrong things.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Platinum,
Back to Back Retention Bonuses

Called about 40-days prior to annual fee hitting, asked for retention offers and was quickly offered 2,500 miles, which I accepted. The miles posted in about two weeks. The day after the 2,500 miles hit my account, I called to cancel and was again offered (without asking) another 2,500 miles not to cancel. Again the bonus miles were credited to my account within two weeks.

Note: Account had zero spend after the first $1000 when I opened the account.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageCapt
Called about 40-days prior to annual fee hitting, asked for retention offers and was quickly offered 2,500 miles, which I accepted. The miles posted in about two weeks. The day after the 2,500 miles hit my account, I called to cancel and was again offered (without asking) another 2,500 miles not to cancel. Again the bonus miles were credited to my account within two weeks.

Note: Account had zero spend after the first $1000 when I opened the account.
Is this new, these 2,500 miles retention offers?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Is this new, these 2,500 miles retention offers?
Seems like a new development.

My AS card is my oldest card and AF should post in a few weeks. My plan was to convert it to better balance or travel rewards for account age purposes and then reapply for another AS card for the bonus and companion fare. Now I'm considering keeping the current one and applying for a second card. Especially if there's a retention offer. I could use two companion fares to book on within the next few months. Good idea, or should I just convert it now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.