Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Summary of Retention Offers

4/3/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $37.50 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/21/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $75 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/22/2013
Spend: 35-40k annually; Retention offer: APR reduction, AF refund, 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

11/29/2013
Spend: $3K annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Conversion to Bank Americard Travel Rewards card.

11/25/2015
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

8/4/2016
Spend: $2,800 annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

10/15/2016
Spend: $1,100 in 11 months; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

01/03/2017
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

01/03/2017
Spend :$15K annually; Retention offer: Convert to BA Travel Rewards Card; Result: Closure.

09/04/2020
No Retention offer: Result: Closure

9/25/2020
Spend $700 annually. No retention offer. Result: Uncertain, may close.
Print Wikipost

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This account is at least 10 years old and we buy tickets every year but no additional spend.
Depending on how much ticket spend you put on it, that could very well be why you're not getting a retention offer.

I'd personally see if the product change to the no annual fee Cash Rewards mentioned in the post above yours is possible instead of cancelling, if you want to retain the card history/limits long term. I don't blame you for wanting to cancel, though, if there's no retention offer for you and the phone reps are leaving a bad taste in your mouth. If you can't use the benefits like the companion cert, the AS co-brand card is weaker on earning than any number of travel cards (save for perhaps buying AS tickets), even free no annual fee ones.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by 12changk2
Got the same $1500 spend/3months $100 statement credit retention, interestingly they noted it could be on any of my BofA personal cards. Also offered PC to Cash or Travel Rewards on top of the statement credit. Took both, and may consider MSing $1500 spend for $100, but might not be worth the hassle lol
I got the same offer today. $100 statement credit after $1500 spend across ANY of my Bank of America cards.
Allowed to PC and receive the statement credit.

Interestingly, he literally recommended to PC, so I quote, "when you're ready to travel on Alaska again, you can sign up for the card again and receive the bonus miles". Never heard a rep advocate churning before. 🤣
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by burningflames
I got the same offer today. $100 statement credit after $1500 spend across ANY of my Bank of America cards.
Allowed to PC and receive the statement credit.
I’m glad you got the offer but I wish I had a recording so I could play it for the lying “supervisor” who told me BofA does not make retention offers.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I’m glad you got the offer but I wish I had a recording so I could play it for the lying “supervisor” who told me BofA does not make retention offers.
Sometimes, their legacy systems are so siloed they don't have the information another department does. I know Citi is TERRIBLE at this, they play telephone transfer games with me every time.
For this BofA offer, I got transferred to a different rep (I don't remember the exact department, I assume it's retention).
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:08 pm

Apologies, but does anyone have the phone number for the retention line? Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by hbcobra
Apologies, but does anyone have the phone number for the retention line? Thanks!
There isn't one available externally, you have to be transferred.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
There isn't one available externally, you have to be transferred.
Thanks. Any magic language to reach that department or group? In my last interaction with them, the agent for not offer to transfer me anywhere.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Last talk of retention was back in October.
Any further updates on what folks are being offered?
Annual Fee is due.
Have the AS card and no travel projected at all - will PC to a Cash Rewards with no fear if not.
But may keep the AS if they choose to, in some way, give back the $75.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Last talk of retention was back in October.
Any further updates on what folks are being offered?
Annual Fee is due.
Have the AS card and no travel projected at all - will PC to a Cash Rewards with no fear if not.
But may keep the AS if they choose to, in some way, give back the $75.
Sorry, I forgot to report back. I had to try twice but eventually someone offered me a $100 statement credit for a $1,500 spend in 90 days. I accepted.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
I have tried 3 times to PC to Cash Rewards with no luck. They said I can't PC to anything, only way to avoid AF is to cancel the card. No $100 SC/$1500 spend retention offer either, even when I specifically asked about it; they said they had never heard of such an offer.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:43 pm

No retention or PC was offered to me. I closed my card.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta, American Express, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Alaska
Anyone with an Alaska Air branded Bank of America card might be interested in my experience on rention offers.
I have contacted BA (via phone 3 different times, Twitter, and by phone, BA's rention supervisor) no less than a dozen times to request a fee waiver for 2021 due to the fact that I will not be flying until Covid safe (vaccine and proof it's working). I know someone who got a waiver and told me to keep trying, to keep calling.
My reason for the waiver? Mostly Covid and a downturn in work. But I have increasingly found it difficult to use basic mileages (25K rt) award flights (jacked up to 40-75k requirements on short run flights) on Alaska, and the companion fare perk or baggage perk are mostly useless to me.

Each time I have been told, they can't waive the fee and the only way to get the waiver is to cancel my card. They say this is a contract dictate from Alaska Airlines and they (BA) have a no say or leeway in providing waivers. They tell me I will lose my Alaska miles within a year of closing this account and then they try to swing me over to a Bof A non-branded card.

I have had my Alaska card for 18 years and have only used the companion perk 2 times. I usually have a carry-on so that perk isn't a huge winner for me either. But I do use Alaska routes more than any other so that's why I kept the card. But even at $75 annual fee, this is of low benefit to me.

In any case, I finally contacted Alaska Air and let them know I was bailing on their AA Signature card and would be directing all my card purchase capture to Delta branded cards I have also had for 25+ years. They responded and told me it was simply NOT TRUE that they have any contract with BofA that precludes a waiver or mileage bonus (Rention). That is totally up to the bank.

The whole game stinks. If I cancel my card I lose the credit history and credit extension that buoys FICO scores (mine is currently 850 but!). If I pay the $75, I am basically throwing money away. It's like putting money in a savings account paying under .5% interest right now; you lose money saving money. I'd love to see someone in Congress deal with this kind of credit card thievery. I am literally a captive consumer caught in a Mobius circle of credit card pain. But hey, I have learned my lesson.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by Jostgarden
Anyone with an Alaska Air branded Bank of America card might be interested in my experience on rention offers.
I have contacted BA (via phone 3 different times, Twitter, and by phone, BA's rention supervisor) no less than a dozen times to request a fee waiver for 2021 due to the fact that I will not be flying until Covid safe (vaccine and proof it's working). I know someone who got a waiver and told me to keep trying, to keep calling.
My reason for the waiver? Mostly Covid and a downturn in work. But I have increasingly found it difficult to use basic mileages (25K rt) award flights (jacked up to 40-75k requirements on short run flights) on Alaska, and the companion fare perk or baggage perk are mostly useless to me.

Each time I have been told, they can't waive the fee and the only way to get the waiver is to cancel my card. They say this is a contract dictate from Alaska Airlines and they (BA) have a no say or leeway in providing waivers. They tell me I will lose my Alaska miles within a year of closing this account and then they try to swing me over to a Bof A non-branded card.

I have had my Alaska card for 18 years and have only used the companion perk 2 times. I usually have a carry-on so that perk isn't a huge winner for me either. But I do use Alaska routes more than any other so that's why I kept the card. But even at $75 annual fee, this is of low benefit to me.

In any case, I finally contacted Alaska Air and let them know I was bailing on their AA Signature card and would be directing all my card purchase capture to Delta branded cards I have also had for 25+ years. They responded and told me it was simply NOT TRUE that they have any contract with BofA that precludes a waiver or mileage bonus (Rention). That is totally up to the bank.

The whole game stinks. If I cancel my card I lose the credit history and credit extension that buoys FICO scores (mine is currently 850 but!). If I pay the $75, I am basically throwing money away. It's like putting money in a savings account paying under .5% interest right now; you lose money saving money. I'd love to see someone in Congress deal with this kind of credit card thievery. I am literally a captive consumer caught in a Mobius circle of credit card pain. But hey, I have learned my lesson.
This seems like mostly you are complaining about them not giving you a retention offer, which they are under no obligation to do. But you are not a captive consumer. You can either close the card completely that you don't seem to get value out of (so don't consume it!) and take the hit on your credit history or you can "swing over to a Bof A non-branded card", which will not have an annual fee and will retain your credit history and your credit utilization. Calling this thievery is laughable.

If you are just ranting on an internet forum, I get it, it can be cathartic. Good luck with the decision.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
No retention offer on my AS card third year (did not receive retention for second year). Cancelled the card. Was disappointed since I am Platinum Honors.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Jostgarden
... They tell me I will lose my Alaska miles within a year of closing this account...
I'm curious if anyone knows if the above is accurate.

If you keep the mileage account active via one of the usual methods (take a flight, buy a magazine subscription with miles, get miles credited via a rental car or hotel, transfer or gift miles) would you still lose the miles that had been earned through purchases on the credit card? I would hope not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.