Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Summary of Retention Offers

4/3/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $37.50 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/21/2013
Spend:?; Retention offer: $75 + 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

7/22/2013
Spend: 35-40k annually; Retention offer: APR reduction, AF refund, 5,000 miles; Result: Keep.

11/29/2013
Spend: $3K annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Conversion to Bank Americard Travel Rewards card.

11/25/2015
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

8/4/2016
Spend: $2,800 annually; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

10/15/2016
Spend: $1,100 in 11 months; Retention offer: None; Result: Closure.

01/03/2017
Spend :$1K annually; Retention offer: 2,500 miles; Result: Keep.

01/03/2017
Spend :$15K annually; Retention offer: Convert to BA Travel Rewards Card; Result: Closure.

09/04/2020
No Retention offer: Result: Closure

9/25/2020
Spend $700 annually. No retention offer. Result: Uncertain, may close.
Print Wikipost

AS Bank of America (BofA) Visa: Retention/Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Yes, you keep all the miles that have been moved into your acct. I wouldn't cancel though. Call and ask if you can PC to a different card.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wenglish98
If one cancels the card, does one retain the accumulated miles (subject to the usual "use some or lose them" rules)?

Even without COVID it was looking like we wouldn't use our companion fare this year (it originally expired late June, and the extension to the end of 2020 may not be far enough out for us).

Rather than outright cancel we would probably switch to a different no-fee BofA card to avoid losing the long-term credit history (this is currently our most-used, oldest and biggest (credit limit) card).

Thanks.
Just to note! The companion certificate expiry date is the last date you can use it, not the date you must complete travel by. You can apply your extended companion certificate to flights up to Nov 26, 2021. That will be the end of the booking calendar on December 31st, 2020.

James
Old May 20, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by philemer
Yes, you keep all the miles that have been moved into your acct. I wouldn't cancel though. Call and ask if you can PC to a different card.
Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, we would replace it rather than cancel it (not sure what "PC" stands for but I think that's what you mean).
Old May 20, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just to note! The companion certificate expiry date is the last date you can use it, not the date you must complete travel by. You can apply your extended companion certificate to flights up to Nov 26, 2021. That will be the end of the booking calendar on December 31st, 2020.

James
Good point, thanks. I didn't realize the travel-by date was that far into the future (meaning it could be used for spring/fall 2021 travel).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by wenglish98
Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, we would replace it rather than cancel it (not sure what "PC" stands for but I think that's what you mean).
Product Change. Usually occurs when someone wants to move to a no annual fee card.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Product Change. Usually occurs when someone wants to move to a no annual fee card.
Got it, thanks!
Old May 29, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
what was your spend on this card?
not much, just initial spend to meet the bonus requirement.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Looking for any other recent data points on this. I called BoA and requested a product change to BoA Cash Rewards (did not mentioned wanting to cancel AS card). I had inquired several times in the last few months and each time was told it was allowed, etc. I was told they would submit the request. A week later I called back to check status and the rep said product changes were not allowed on AS cards, also told official reply could take 4-5 weeks. Rep was very clear that this was not allowed. Has any one else been able to do this recently?
Old May 31, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I did it 2 months ago when my annual fee was charged (converted to Travel Rewards not Cash Rewards, due to no FTF).

It took a few weeks to even process and then I still had call back to have them manually refund the annual fee after it converted but I got it all done.

The account number changed.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84
I did it 2 months ago when my annual fee was charged (converted to Travel Rewards not Cash Rewards, due to no FTF).

It took a few weeks to even process and then I still had call back to have them manually refund the annual fee after it converted but I got it all done.

The account number changed.
I will hope I just had a poorly informed rep. Either way I will post what happens after this gets sorted out. Thanks for the data point.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by airride
called to cancel; was offered $100 statement credit for $1500 spend in 3 months.
I got this card in May 2019, and the annual fee posted a few days ago. I called to cancel and received the same offer. I didn't put any real spend on this card except to get the sign-up bonus.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by G2244
Looking for any other recent data points on this. I called BoA and requested a product change to BoA Cash Rewards (did not mentioned wanting to cancel AS card). I had inquired several times in the last few months and each time was told it was allowed, etc. I was told they would submit the request. A week later I called back to check status and the rep said product changes were not allowed on AS cards, also told official reply could take 4-5 weeks. Rep was very clear that this was not allowed. Has any one else been able to do this recently?
Following up with success! It two weeks from my original request and when I logged into my BoA account this morning my AS card now shows as the Cash Rewards. Glad to have just had a mis-informed rep.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Poor, neglected thread.

Called in to today and was denied any retention offer or product change offer. Didn't feel like HUCA so moved my credit line and closed account.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:24 am

Retention on Alaska

Got the same $1500 spend/3months $100 statement credit retention, interestingly they noted it could be on any of my BofA personal cards. Also offered PC to Cash or Travel Rewards on top of the statement credit. Took both, and may consider MSing $1500 spend for $100, but might not be worth the hassle lol
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The BofA CSR and supervisor basically lied to Mrs. B and me when we called for a retention offer. We escalated and the supervisor reiterated that BofA does not waive the annual fee and does not provide any points as an incentive. She said this is standard policy for all customers but I do not believe that is true as I tend to trust the posts above from my fellow FTers and I let her know that. We complained bitterly about the inability to use the $99 companion certs and other benefits and were told to call Alaska.

I asked her what most customers do and she said they cancel their cards. I don't know if this was a HUCA situation but I doubt it as I assume the CSRs all see the same account info and presumably no offer for this account. This account is at least 10 years old and we buy tickets every year but no additional spend.

Didn't cancel today as we still hope to use the companion certs if it becomes safe to fly to Hawaii or possibly Mexico. However I will definitely be dumping my own personal card in December after I get a business card. Can't justify paying $75 a year for no benefits and no bonus.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 25, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.