Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

One-way and partner awards now bookable online [consolidated master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
The following changes to partner awards have been made:

-One way awards are available on all airlines except Delta Airlines and Korean Air at 1/2 the round trip redemption level. (partner booking fee still applies, but is now $12.50 each direction)
-Delta Airlines, American Airlines, and Alaska Airlines can be mixed/matched in round trip awards. E.g., you can do DEN-SLC (on DL) - ANC (on AS) and then return ANC-LAX (on AS) - DEN (on AA). Total cost 25K miles. You cannot mix AA and DL on one direction.
-One way awards on Delta Airlines and Korean Air are possible, but only at the full round trip mileage redemption level.
-Era Alaska and PenAir awards can now be booked online, one way and round trip. It can be combined now with some AS awards.
-Stop-overs are bookable on international one-way partner awards.

As of 2/14/14 only LAN and Cathay Pacific cannot be booked online.

Unanswered questions (feel free to update the wiki if you know the answer)
-it is unclear if other carriers can be mixed/matched on round trip awards

For historical discussion about the development of this function, please reference this older thread: AS to permit one-way international partner awards
Print Wikipost

One-way and partner awards now bookable online [consolidated master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up One-way and partner awards now bookable online [consolidated master thread]

I was just searching for some itineraries and noticed that AA and DL flights are finally available for one way awards! This must have just gone live... wasn't able to book a few hours ago.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
My sample searches turn up we can book ow but at the rt price.

EDIT: AA flights appear to be at 1/2 the RT mileage cost.

Last edited by kwl747; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:08 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:08 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by kwl747

Wouldn't it be ironic if that ended up being the big announcement. 1 way awards at r/t redemption rates... It will be interesting if AS ends up allowing o/w redemptions on DL. AFAIK, DL doesn't allow o/w redemptions for their own members.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kwl747

EDIT: AA flights appear to be at 1/2 the RT mileage cost.
http://s10.postimage.org/sukcrq3t5/alaska_one_way_2.png
Wonder if that is a DL issue.

Just did a search for PDX-LHR for 10/18/13 and the AA flights pull up at 50K miles for business and 62.5K for first.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Correction...k_o_m is absolutely right...it's live...seeing AA for 1/2 the cost. DL, unfortunately seems to be available, but at the r/t redemption level.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Wouldn't it be ironic if that ended up being the big announcement. 1 way awards at r/t redemption rates... It will be interesting if AS ends up allowing o/w redemptions on DL. AFAIK, DL doesn't allow o/w redemptions for their own members.
Haha, yeah that would be unfortunate.

Appears the award calendar works with partner destinations too now! And you can have AA one-way and DL the other for 25k coach award. Even if you can't have true one ways with DL, this is a huge step up.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
AA working for sure.

Cheap fees to LHR ($17.50) in business not so much on the return ($291) broken out one way segments.

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:50 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL doesn't have one-way awards at half the roundtrip price for its own program members, but some DL partners do issue such awards for DL flights where the one-way costs half the roundtrip price level. Also, for DL members, two one-way awards are possible even if the travels involve completely different zones -- this has helped avoid the DL IOS fee at least in some cases.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Haha, yeah that would be unfortunate.

Appears the award calendar works with partner destinations too now! And you can have AA one-way and DL the other for 25k coach award. Even if you can't have true one ways with DL, this is a huge step up.
Wow looks like I need to do some searches online

Although all my award travel at the moment I want to book involves more exotic carriers

Huge ^^ AS!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Correction...k_o_m is absolutely right...it's live...seeing AA for 1/2 the cost. DL, unfortunately seems to be available, but at the r/t redemption level.
It's true that a pure one-way on DL costs the same as R/T (this is apparently due to DL's rules). However, now you can mix and match carriers to complete a R/T. For example, fly AA outbound and DL return for a single R/T price.

Sample: outbound 4/10 SEA-JFK on AA and return 4/16 JFK-SEA on DL for 25k R/T.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by apodo77
AA working for sure.

Cheap fees to LHR ($17.50) in business.
Wow... loving those taxes and fees. Better book a few before they increase at least $7.50

Edit: nevermind, fee was halved as well. Very cool AS!

Last edited by evoG; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:45 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by evoG
Wow... loving those taxes and fees. Better book a few before they increase at least $7.50

Edit: nevermind, fee was halved as well. Very cool AS!
If you do round trip from PDX-LHR the taxes and fees are $311.00 and change in business.
Meant to comment on how LHR sure is an expensive place to fly out of. One way from LHR-PDX is $291 in taxes in fees.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:21 am

Certainly a great step in the right direction. I do hope they will offer o/w awards on DL at half of the r/t price.

This is still a WIP until the ability to do such booking on all partners goes live.

Originally Posted by apodo77
If you do round trip from PDX-LHR the taxes and fees are $311.00 and change in business.
Meant to comment on how LHR sure is an expensive place to fly out of. One way from LHR-PDX is $291 in taxes in fees.
All because of the ridiculous UK APD tax. This is why I always suggest people consider returning from a different country. It most likely will cost less to fly to CDG/AMS/many destinations in Europe and you get to see another country as opposed to flying back from the UK and paying the APD.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
One way awards now live for AA & DL!

I would much rather pay the Apd tax and book on AS knowing I don't pay a redeposit fee and can make changes than deal with AA's fees. Crossing fingers for AF one way awards soon.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Certainly a great step in the right direction. I do hope they will offer o/w awards on DL at half of the r/t price.

This is still a WIP until the ability to do such booking on all partners goes live.

All because of the ridiculous UK APD tax. This is why I always suggest people consider returning from a different country. It most likely will cost less to fly to CDG/AMS/many destinations in Europe and you get to see another country as opposed to flying back from the UK and paying the APD.
Do all Northern Ireland-originating trips out of the UK still involve paying the APD if not stopping elsewhere in the UK? Originating out of the independent Republic of Ireland doesn't come with the UK APD if not stopping in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.