Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
For current information and discussion regarding one-way international partner awards, please see this thread.
Print Wikipost

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ASTechGuy
You (and they) can use multi-city to search for specific connection cities or stopovers. For most customers who don't need that, a simple origin to destination search does the trick.
It would be nice to be able to enter more than 2 city pairs in each direction on multi-city search to force routing. I guess if the search results seems to come up with all different kinds of routing its not such a big deal. I'm assuming for carriers that cannnot be booked online they cant use this new tool?

Originally Posted by randapex
That would be nice. It's really annoying to have to click through to the next page after selecting "First" to find 2 out of 3 legs are in coach.
Like one I saw earlier today. BOS-MSP in F and MSP-DTW-SIN in Y for the full F price. Ouch!!
Old May 3, 2013, 3:55 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm assuming for carriers that cannnot be booked online they cant use this new tool?
Correct, so as you see new carriers show up, that's your indication that res agents are shopping for those carriers in the new tool. What they see, you see, and vice-versa. Very transparent.

Last edited by jackal; May 3, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reason: Fixing closing quote tag
Old May 3, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Yes, they're using alaskaair.com (the browser is pulled in to the application they use). They don't see the page's header, footer, or the survey tool, but otherwise it's the exact same shopping experience. And for the record, agents never had the ability to scan lots of date combinations 'quickly' (not how I'd define 'quick' anyway). Now, they do and so do you.

Agents don't see it as a downgrade and they're thrilled with the new tool and how it simplifies and shortens shopping time. You (and they) can use multi-city to search for specific connection cities or stopovers. For most customers who don't need that, a simple origin to destination search does the trick.

The partner desk is amazing. It was fascinating for me to watch them spend 30-45 minutes on a single phone call and their patience was impressive. Fortunately, we've made their jobs (and most importantly our customer's shopping experience at as.com) much faster and easier.
Huh, I guess we all assumed the old search interface they had was more detailed and better than it really was.

Although I do have to laugh that they're using the same tool that anyone can use on their own on the website to search and book. I have to wonder why people still call in to book tickets these days (that goes for revenue tickets, too)--the only time I ever call in (and this goes for any service provider, not just airlines) is when I can't get the website to make it work. In other words, phone reps these days are there pretty much strictly to make up for the shortcomings of the web development team.

But in any case, I don't think anyone here would dispute your statement that the partner desk is amazing.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jackal
I have to wonder why people still call in to book tickets these days
CX, linking PNRs and stopovers.

(In my case, I had to link a minor's PNR to mine, and I couldn't book a minor on the AS website using her own miles on an international itinerary, even as an "adult"- it was smart enough to figure out she was a minor from DOB.)
Old May 4, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX, linking PNRs and stopovers.

(In my case, I had to link a minor's PNR to mine, and I couldn't book a minor on the AS website using her own miles on an international itinerary, even as an "adult"- it was smart enough to figure out she was a minor from DOB.)
See, website shortcomings.

The stopover question is interesting, though. If agents are now using the same tools we are, will they no longer be able to book stopovers that we can't book? How about (as you just mentioned in another thread) long-selling?
Old May 4, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jackal
See, website shortcomings.

The stopover question is interesting, though. If agents are now using the same tools we are, will they no longer be able to book stopovers that we can't book? How about (as you just mentioned in another thread) long-selling?
so far i've been able to force a stop-over in any city. Just did one with stop-over SAN-BOS-LHR with a stop-over of 3614hours 20minutes in Boston . Is there a way to program this so it computes into days?
Old May 8, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Well, hang tight - it's coming very soon. You'll be able to tell from the matrix display when you're looking at mixed-cabin results, so you won't have to click to the cart to find out which leg is in which cabin.
There is now a little icon next to the radio button when selecting itineraries with multiple cabins. You can click on it and see each individual flight's cabin class without adding it to the cart.

Thanks! ^
Old May 8, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
There is now a little icon next to the radio button when selecting itineraries with multiple cabins. You can click on it and see each individual flight's cabin class without adding it to the cart.

Thanks! ^
Yep. Nice feature.

SEA-MSP-LHR on Delta was coach to MSP and business elite to LHR when searching and clicking on the icon.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm sure it requires a full mileage redeposit and award reissue - whether they'd charge you for another award booking, who knows. But the award code and fare basis is currently a RT one. (Logistically, they'd only have to cancel the return seat, so you wouldn't have to worry about award space availability on what you want to keep.)
As an update I was able to do this and got the flights I wanted.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
It will be interesting to see how this works out next year with the merger of AA and USAirways. USAirways doesn't support one way routing (they do -- but like delta at full rt miles). American does, and Alaska offers that with American. I'm hoping that the merger results in the miles on what is now USAirways to be handled like they are on American.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is being archived in order to keep discussion consolidated in a more current discussion thread. For further discussion, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...er-thread.html.

Regards,
jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.