Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
For current information and discussion regarding one-way international partner awards, please see this thread.
Print Wikipost

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 10:10 am
formerly ASTechGuy

Originally Posted by CDKing
I was able to get open jaw BOS-LHR/CDG-LHR-BOS to work using multi city search. I was also able to get SFO-JFK-LHR-JFK-BOS to work. Best way to handle this is do 2x 1 way searchs using the award calendar to find available dates in each direction. Then once you have the dates enter in multi-city search.

Just out of curiosity, i tried double open jaw but failed as expected. I may test out open jaw with stop-over later today, It should fail as well but you never know
Double open-jaws are essentially two one-way awards, so you'd just need to book them in separate reservations. That drives up the redemption rate if Delta's involved, but otherwise it doesn't impact the trip's cost at all.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by baliktad
You should be able to book this award as an open jaw SFO-ATL-SCL-ATL-XXX on DL, assuming availability on all segments. It may not come up online, but call up the partner award desk and they'll help you out.
Yeah, turns out issue was just that the avail disappeared on the outbound DL leg. But, once I put in different dates, I was able to find an open-jaw award on DL using the multi-city feature on AS.com, and it was the same amount of miles. Open-jaw seemed to work fine also for AA-alone itin, or AA out, DL back.

Really liking the new partner award search options!
Old May 3, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ASTechGuy
Just wanted to point out that for any carrier that's been converted to one-way awards (allowing mix-and-match), res agents are using the same search tool that customers use at AlaskaAir.com, so they have access to the same markets, carrier combinations, inventory levels, etc that you do at the website. They can't offer more or less than you see there.

My point is that for partners who've been made available online, calling the partner desk doesn't buy you anything other than an added booking fee and some cheerful hold music.
They're actually using alaskaair.com (or an intranet interface that looks almost identical)? So res agents don't have the ability anymore to scan lots of different date combinations quickly or see the raw inventory buckets for individual segments so they can help piece together an itinerary segment-by-segment and then ticket it? That seems like a downgrade, as that's part of what made the Partner Desk so amazing to work with...
Old May 3, 2013, 2:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
So having the sytem piece together a whole months worth of available segments at once, instead of them having to look individually, day by day, segment by segment is a downgrade? To who?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
So having the sytem piece together a whole months worth of available segments at once, instead of them having to look individually, day by day, segment by segment is a downgrade? To who?
I think he's pointing out that segment-by-segment searching can be valuable for people who have certain requirements like specific dates, departure cities, or carriers. Some people may be willing to make compromises like traveling to a connection city on their own if it's only the domestic segment that's not available. Others may prefer to just fly on a different date, or accept a lower class of service.

The one-size-fits-all approach of the calendar is good for purchased tickets because there's always availability (just maybe not at a price you like). But for award tickets, a more advanced searching method is still desirable.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
If the Partner Desk is now limited to only being able to plug an origin and a destination in (just like us) and they can't play around with things like routings and individual segments (just like we can't really) or see availability on individual segments (like we can't, at least not without tools like ExpertFlyer), then it's a downgrade.

But if they can do all that and be able to search for and auto-ticket an itinerary with relative ease, then it is indeed an upgrade. ^

ETA: Yes, baliktad understood and clarified my point correctly. Thanks.

Last edited by jackal; May 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 2:25 pm

i still don't see how you can't plug in individual segments to look at availability?

If you're trying to get a SEA ORD CDG routing and it doesn't pull up with SEA-CDG, I'm still not sure what is preventing you from pulling up SEA-ORD, and ORD-CDG separately to see where the holdup is, or what dates each of those are available?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not being able to specify class of service is annoying. The calendar only shows the lowest point amount for the date, If you want F you have to look at every date to see if its available. I swear the option was there before but i canot find it

I do notice when i put in SEA-LHR it comes up with a ton of flight options. I wonder if its considering all possible routings or just the most logical ones. i know over at UA i can search segment by segment and piece together much better itineraries that Uniteds own website cannot find by entering origin and destination
Old May 3, 2013, 3:18 pm

Not being able to specify class of service is annoying. The calendar only shows the lowest point amount for the date, If you want F you have to look at every date to see if its available. I swear the option was there before but i canot find it
I just did a search and on the left side of the calendars is an option to filter results. Do you not see it?
Old May 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

I do notice when i put in SEA-LHR it comes up with a ton of flight options. I wonder if its considering all possible routings or just the most logical ones. i know over at UA i can search segment by segment and piece together much better itineraries that Uniteds own website cannot find by entering origin and destination
It considers all of them, and then displays the most logical. The less option that are available, the more likely you will see less logical connections.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

On the left hand side you can choose to display coach, business or first when looking at the award calendar.

I really like how it comes up with flight options. It's accurate and pieces together a huge variety of available routing options. The only thing I'd like to see improved is it telling you which class of service you would be booked in on the schedule page. As it is right now you have to add it to your cart to see if all flights will actually be in first/business class.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I just did a search and on the left side of the calendars is an option to filter results. Do you not see it?
I missed it, for some reason i was looking at the wrong page. Now if only the airline selector was also on the calendar page and a fare class filter on the available flights page.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I really like how it comes up with flight options. It's accurate and pieces together a huge variety of available routing options. The only thing I'd like to see improved is it telling you which class of service you would be booked in on the schedule page. As it is right now you have to add it to your cart to see if all flights will actually be in first/business class.
Same here,. In regards to routings i just looked at one for a few days from now SEA-LHR and almost any connection city came up two of them were YYC, LAS which i didnt even think about

Last edited by CDKing; May 3, 2013 at 3:40 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 3:39 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

Originally Posted by jackal
They're actually using alaskaair.com (or an intranet interface that looks almost identical)? So res agents don't have the ability anymore to scan lots of different date combinations quickly or see the raw inventory buckets for individual segments so they can help piece together an itinerary segment-by-segment and then ticket it? That seems like a downgrade, as that's part of what made the Partner Desk so amazing to work with...
Yes, they're using alaskaair.com (the browser is pulled in to the application they use). They don't see the page's header, footer, or the survey tool, but otherwise it's the exact same shopping experience. And for the record, agents never had the ability to scan lots of date combinations 'quickly' (not how I'd define 'quick' anyway). Now, they do and so do you.

Agents don't see it as a downgrade and they're thrilled with the new tool and how it simplifies and shortens shopping time. You (and they) can use multi-city to search for specific connection cities or stopovers. For most customers who don't need that, a simple origin to destination search does the trick.

The partner desk is amazing. It was fascinating for me to watch them spend 30-45 minutes on a single phone call and their patience was impressive. Fortunately, we've made their jobs (and most importantly our customer's shopping experience at as.com) much faster and easier.

Last edited by PacNWFlyer; May 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 3:41 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
On the left hand side you can choose to display coach, business or first when looking at the award calendar.

Well, hang tight - it's coming very soon. You'll be able to tell from the matrix display when you're looking at mixed-cabin results, so you won't have to click to the cart to find out which leg is in which cabin.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
Originally Posted by ASTechGuy
Well, hang tight - it's coming very soon. You'll be able to tell from the matrix display when you're looking at mixed-cabin results, so you won't have to click to the cart to find out which leg is in which cabin.
That would be nice. It's really annoying to have to click through to the next page after selecting "First" to find 2 out of 3 legs are in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.