FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Anyone else not care for AS First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1436100-anyone-else-not-care-first-class.html)

tatterdema Feb 7, 2013 2:37 am

Anyone else not care for AS First Class?

My first time flying first. I was excited. For some reason, I had visions of a Bloody Mary served to me as soon as I sat down. Nope, water in a plastic cup. We each got a bag of snacks, same as everyone else on the plane. Meal consisted of Scrambled eggs, sausages, and an apple pastry. Ok, but not great.

What I disliked the most, was that I normally always have a window seat, so that I can lay my head on the window and sleep. In first class, there is a 2-3 inch gap between the arm rest and the wall, making it really uncomfortable to try to sleep like that. My arm kept slipping down between the armrest and the wall.

For some reason I was under the impression that FC bags came off the plane first. Nope, mine was last.

The extra leg room was ok, but I dont have an issue with leg room normally anyway.

Anyhow, if I am upgraded to first in the future, great, but I definately will never be paying for it. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

SFO777 Feb 7, 2013 3:31 am

Sorry but it's 2013. AS First isn't great but it isn't the worst in the country either. First is a slightly bigger seat, a little extra legroom and an occasional meal when the flights are long enough.

tatterdema Feb 7, 2013 3:36 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 20201602)
Sorry but it's 2013. AS First isn't great but it isn't the worst in the country either. First is a slightly bigger seat, a little extra legroom and an occasional meal when the flights are long enough.

The flight was 4 1/2 hour international. I had nothing to compare it to, as like I said, First time in First, so I wasnt calling it the worst by any stretch. I think I just expected more.

Just to add.... I got in on the Iceland Air deal, so the price for first was about the same as if I had just purchased coach through Alaska. Looking back, I think I would rather have flown coach and gotten the miles. Live and learn. Different things are important to different people.

whimike Feb 7, 2013 3:40 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 20201618)
The flight was 4 1/2 hour international. I had nothing to compare it to, as like I said, First time in First, so I wasnt calling it the worst by any stretch. I think I just expected more.

Well.... It is better than intra-European business class.

I don't find it too different, or much worse, than standard narrow-body UA, DL, or AA F.

SFO777 Feb 7, 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 20201625)
Well.... It is better than intra-European business class. I don't find it too different, or much worse, than standard narrow-body UA, DL, or AA F.

Agree, except the part about AS being not too different from AA. IMO, AA is far superior to AS (and other NA airlines), especially in legroom, seat comfort and meals. DL has 100% mainline WiFi and AA is now over 80%.

tatterdema Feb 7, 2013 4:24 am

Not that I was completely unhappy....

I really did enjoy using the first class check in, fly by security lane, and being the first on and off the plane, and the free checked bag. I also was able to do the change flight 6 hours before thing, and was not charged the $25. I didnt have time to use the lounge, but assume that would have been a nice perk too.

lalala Feb 7, 2013 5:35 am

Anyone else not care for AS First Class?

Here it goes -- you got in on a deal that exploited a loophole for cheap mileage redemption, you actually found seat avail., and you got to your destination on time.

AS F is not champagne and lollipops - breakfast on pretty much any flight lacks these days even AA. Safe bet even in international F - bring your own sustenance. AA does not serve mixed drinks for PBD, only water, sparkling wine, etc,

The seat gap lacks - my TH always travels with a down vest to serve as a pillow.

Very few premium bags come out first even when tagged.

Enjoy your flight home.

tatterdema Feb 7, 2013 5:44 am

Originally Posted by lalala (Post 20201954)
Here it goes -- you got in on a deal that exploited a loophole for cheap mileage redemption, you actually found seat avail., and you got to your destination on time.

AS F is not champagne and lollipops - breakfast on pretty much any flight lacks these days even AA. Safe bet even in international F - bring your own sustenance. AA does not serve mixed drinks for PBD, only water, sparkling wine, etc,

The seat gap lacks - my TH always travels with a down vest to serve as a pillow.

Very few premium bags come out first even when tagged.

Enjoy your flight home.

Thanks for your insight. I will enjoy the second trip I "exploited" in June when I go to Hawaii much more, as my expectations will be more realistic.

ANC Feb 7, 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 20201499)
What I disliked the most, was that I normally always have a window seat, so that I can lay my head on the window and sleep. In first class, there is a 2-3 inch gap between the arm rest and the wall, .

I am failing to see the down side here :confused:

The alternative is crushed flat up against the wall which also takes away leg room

tatterdema Feb 7, 2013 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 20202281)
I am failing to see the down side here :confused:

The alternative is crushed flat up against the wall which also takes away leg room

It just felt weird. My arm was against my body, but my head had to go another 2-3 inches away to rest against the wall. When I would fall asleep, my body would push my arm off the arm rest, and down in the hole between the wall and the arm rest. For me it was uncomfortable. It must not bother most people.

dave1013 Feb 7, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 20201739)
I didnt have time to use the lounge, but assume that would have been a nice perk too.

Not sure if you were flying on an upgrade or an upfare F ticket. Upgrades (U) class do not entitle you to BR access. F or A classes, however, do.

jackal Feb 7, 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 20202403)
It just felt weird. My arm was against my body, but my head had to go another 2-3 inches away to rest against the wall. When I would fall asleep, my body would push my arm off the arm rest, and down in the hole between the wall and the arm rest. For me it was uncomfortable. It must not bother most people.

I, too, like to sleep against the wall (and always choose window seats). However, I find AS's winged headrests sufficiently comfortable to lean against instead of a wall, which reduces the problem of the wall being too far away when seated in F.

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 20202619)
Not sure if you were flying on an upgrade or an upfare F ticket. Upgrades (U) class do not entitle you to BR access. F or A classes, however, do.

The Icelandair mileage mistake allowed people to book into saver A space. The ticket would have been eligible for BR access.

apodo77 Feb 7, 2013 10:56 am

You could always fly coach if F isn't to your liking. ;)

greggariouspdx Feb 7, 2013 12:38 pm

I agree - AS First Class lags behind the others in comfort, food, and service.

ethanwa Feb 7, 2013 2:11 pm

I agree that AS is definitely not the best FC out there.

BUT with that being said I will take FC over Coach any day of the week. I'm sorry, but coach just plain sucks, even with an aisle seat in row 8. If the flight is over 4 hours I will pay for FC Full Fare if I have to.

I guess I'm just too used to the extra leg and arm room, extra comfort of the seats, the quiet, in-flight entertainment, the meal service, dedicated flight attendants, bathroom within a few feet of me, and early boarding/de-boarding. Not to mention boardroom access and bag checks. Plus when my wife and I fly, we are right next to each other with no stranger in the middle. It's our own private row.

Flying is not fun. It's like riding on a very crowded bus that can't stop even if you wanted to. But being in FC at least makes it more bearable.