Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else not care for AS First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Reading through this, I see that it seems F class involves just exactly what I got, pretty much regardless of airline.
Except for Virgin America (VX). Now they have a First Class to enjoy on domestic flights. There really is no comparison to anyone else for domestic travel.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ethanwa
Except for Virgin America (VX). There really is no comparison to anyone else for domestic travel.

Not quite true.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not quite true.

What flights have that? Not all Delta domestic... correct?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethanwa
What flights have that? Not all Delta domestic... correct?
Presently, this is the JFK-LAX/SFO 757-200. The aircraft also rotate on some other domestic routes (most notably and, most reliably at least recently has been SFO-HNL). It's a nice ride and is basically the same seat as VX.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
I missed out on the glory days of domestic first class travel. Only one trip in FC pre-911, and that was a United ORD-DEN or -SFO as a well dressed 19 year old in 1981 that scored an op-up to FC from the FA (an elderly couple needed a pair of seats in forward coach) on a DC-10 (I think). Very well nourished, drinked & pampered. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Post-911, I mainly like FC for the legroom and space, and the occasional extra bennies and attention. And sometimes just for scoring the UG. Yes, AS First Class is mediocre, they know it, price it accordingly, and otherwise don't care. But it will always be better than coach.

But FC is more than just the seat. FC is more than the plane that you're on. I have had some of my best FC experiences on Delta CRJ-900's upgraded as an AS elite. Consistently, from various cities, and not just on SkyWest (OO). That has been the real surprise. Delta Connection FC better than average. Better than their own mainline. And better than AS.

Last edited by dsldog400; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dll
Presently, this is the JFK-LAX/SFO 757-200. The aircraft also rotate on some other domestic routes (most notably and, most reliably at least recently has been SFO-HNL). It's a nice ride and is basically the same seat as VX.
Correct.

I've flown a DL A319 in F. That seat was nowhere to be found (I'd have needed to fly a VX A319 for that).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 pm

49th state versus the '51st' (??)state

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Correct.

I've flown a DL A319 in F. That seat was nowhere to be found (I'd have needed to fly a VX A319 for that).

Alaska Air has a first class cabin?? Nothing First Class about it. I just got off my regular JFK-San Juan Delta First (they call it Business) that is about 100 miles longer than ANC-SEA. I got manacotti/cheese spinach (chosen over the chicken choice), salad, dessert, rolls, unlimited bottled waters, pre-flight champagne or OJ (I don't drink alcohol but I have been known to mix a little of both and enjoy a mimosa).

I had on-demand entertainment (Lincoln, Expendables 2, Argo, Perks of Being a Wallflower and way too many more to list). SEA-JFK days earlier was equally good with the added benefit of having Wi-fi because I was not over water. Satellite TV as well.

SJU-ATL on the return will be much of the same.

People chuckled at me wishing Virgin America would fly to Alaska on this forum. Bring it on. Please.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by TravelMann
People chuckled at me wishing Virgin America would fly to Alaska on this forum. Bring it on. Please.
They do now to SFO announced today
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
Originally Posted by TravelMann

^
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This is where I usually like to answer the question: "If USA-based airlines got rid of free upgrades but made F much nicer, so you paid more and you got more, would you prefer that?"
It's a very fair question, but it doesn't apply equally across airlines. As a 1K on UA, my upgrade rate is somewhere around 85%, including transcons, and most of the remaining 15% is due to last-minute schedule changes on my part. When I was an MVPG on AS (which I let lapse down to no status this year because of all sorts of frustrations with them), my upgrade rate was dramatically lower than that, and close to 0% on transcons. So it's not as if AS is generously upgrading elites to F on their transcon flights.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by dsldog400
But FC is more than just the seat. FC is more than the plane that you're on. I have had some of my best FC experiences on Delta CRJ-900's upgraded as an AS elite. Consistently, from various cities, and not just on SkyWest (OO). That has been a real surprise. Delta Connection FC better than average. Better than their own mainline. And better than AS.
agreed; out of ~30 DL F experiences in recent past, the regional F has been a highlight for me. especially on CR9s and the bigger embraers, but even medium CRJs have been very pleasant in F. Personable service, 3 rounds of drinks, and a couple passes of the snack basket LAS-LAX is a huge advantage over coach where you get nothing due to the short flight. MSY-MSP in F with dinner and a doting FA on an e175 felt more exclusive, like an executive jet, than on an older a319 LGA-MSY where there's more traffic between cabins.

makes clear to me that QX could offer something really attractive, that they could charge a premium for, and better endear themselves toward pacific northwest VFFs that earn MVPG or better entirely on prop planes, never seeing an UG.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: AS, DL GM, AA, HH Plat, IHG
For the past 3-4 years, F on AS has nothing significant to offer except early boarding and a larger seat. Even the pillows (needed for my back to fit the seat) and blankets have been left out. UA and DL have a much, much better F product, with DL surpassing UA. HOWEVER, none of these "holds a candle" to the old F offered on any of these airlines back in the 80's and 90's. you younger folks don't know what's missing! But then, that's what the airlines are counting on -- no comparisons. Oh well, I'm not flying much these years, and soon will be able to stop -- it's no fun anymore. As Ryanair CEO said -- "It's nothing more than a bus."
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:35 pm

I assume OP is offering to switch his 1st class Alaska seats to elderly ladies or soldiers, in which case bravo.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by volklboy
I assume OP is offering to switch his 1st class Alaska seats to elderly ladies or soldiers, in which case bravo.
No, OP will not have any 1st class seats on AS, but good idea for those who do. I do have F ticket for Hawaii flight, that I fully intend to use, to see if I notice a difference.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Fuzzytoo
For the past 3-4 years, F on AS has nothing significant to offer except early boarding and a larger seat. Even the pillows (needed for my back to fit the seat) and blankets have been left out. UA and DL have a much, much better F product, with DL surpassing UA. HOWEVER, none of these "holds a candle" to the old F offered on any of these airlines back in the 80's and 90's. you younger folks don't know what's missing! But then, that's what the airlines are counting on -- no comparisons. Oh well, I'm not flying much these years, and soon will be able to stop -- it's no fun anymore. As Ryanair CEO said -- "It's nothing more than a bus."
Is there any difference in the F product based on duration? Despite Gold, I've earned most of my AS miles on partners and actually only fly them rarely. I was SEA-SAN last night and was really put off with how terrible the service was. The FAs were awesome--much friendlier than your traditional "battle axe." But the service they were programmed to deliver--no drink on departure? No IFE for a almost 3 hr flight? No blanket or pillow?

And then the meal--I mean what the heck was that? A tiny little plate with some lettuce and two bites worth of COLD chicken? No tablecloth. Paper napkin. No bread. No dessert. I honestly was kind of shocked.

My question is--if I flew F SAN-BOS or SAN-HNL would I get an actual meal? Would anything be better? Or do they do this on every flight?

US-based airlines are really not the most amazing (we all know) but I've experienced the domestic F product on US, UA, and DL in the past 3 months and this Alaska was downright terrible in comparison...

I even felt like shooting them an e-mail--"what are you thinking here? how much money could it possibly cost to provide proper food for only 16 people per flight?"

Comments?

Last edited by ChrisInSD; Aug 28, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.