Print Wikipost

If WN entered ANC...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
If WN entered ANC...

Which route would they pick up?

A friend of mine in Phoenix told me that an FA for WN just told her that they were coming into Alaska in under a year. Not sure how valid that is, but I doubt the FA just made it up.

Thoughts on which route they would run? Surely SEA-ANC doesn't need another carrier...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
They might announce something in under a year, but if they come into this market they'll start in the summer, and it's pretty late in 2013 for a brand new airline to announce ANC starting in May.

As for routes, it really depends on how many flights per day they intend to have here:

1. ANC-SEA is a no-brainer. It's far and away the most O&D heavy route to/from Alaska; it's the same reason B6 saw an opportunity there.

2. Other destinations that could make sense from an O&D perspective:
2A. PDX; it's a decent O&D route and WN has a decent PDX base. However, I don't see WN starting ANC-SEA and ANC-PDX at the same time; I think AS would react accordingly and they know that.
2B. DEN; O&D goes down a bit in winter but WN offers a myriad of connecting opportunities here.
2C. OAK; as California-heavy as WN is, I think they might look at tapping into some of the Alaska-California traffic.
2D. LAS; Vegas is actually a decent market in terms of passenger numbers from ANC, and WN has a substantial operation there that can connect folks all over the southwest and south. We all know AS used to do ANC-LAS before fuel prices spiked a few years ago (and they've hinted at it again at a recent Gold event), and US also used to serve ANC-LAS before they de-hubbed Vegas.

I personally think WN's entrance to ANC is not a matter of if but when. It's the same reason B6 has dipped their toe in and hinted at going year-round...it's a high-fare market that is fairly wealthy and full of people who fly a lot. There's plenty of open gate space, too...B4 and B9 are underutilized, the upstairs portion of concourse A (where CO and others used to be) is currently mothballed and could probably be re-opened fairly easily, and of course there's the entire North Terminal.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Was curious what happened to terminal A. Remember boarding CO out of the end of it...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Chugach
ANC-SEA is a no-brainer. It's far and away the most O&D heavy route to/from Alaska; it's the same reason B6 saw an opportunity there.
In related news, B6 just announced the extension of their ANC-SEA service through October 15. Introductory fares for the extension are half of AS's.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by jackal
ANC-SEA is a no-brainer. It's far and away the most O&D heavy route to/from Alaska; it's the same reason B6 saw an opportunity there.
In related news, B6 just announced the extension of their ANC-SEA service through October 15. Introductory fares for the extension are half of AS's.
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Good to hear and good for them, though.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Was curious what happened to terminal A. Remember boarding CO out of the end of it...
Right now it appears to be a whole lot of wasted space.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 2, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Wow, I hadn't heard that. Good to hear and good for them, though.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...eattle-flights
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Which route would they pick up?

A friend of mine in Phoenix told me that an FA for WN just told her that they were coming into Alaska in under a year. Not sure how valid that is, but I doubt the FA just made it up.

Thoughts on which route they would run? Surely SEA-ANC doesn't need another carrier...
With all due respect to my peers, and to you and your friend, it's not as though management shares information with the Flight Attendants that they don't share with the general public. In so far as WN flying to ANC, I don't think it's a matter of if, but when. As far as where they'll fly to/from ANC, it's all a matter of speculation at this point. They could easily fly ANC-MDW, giving access to their largest hub, which could offer the same connecting opportunities as DEN plus a fair number more. I'm not sure there are connections you could make through DEN that can't be made through MDW too. Anyway, it all remains to be seen.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
They could easily fly ANC-MDW, giving access to their largest hub, which could offer the same connecting opportunities as DEN plus a fair number more.
Not sure they could get a plane off the runway at MDW for the 6+ hour trip to ANC....
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:34 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
hmmmm BWI?

That would only work if they had 700ER a/c. May lord could you imagine sitting in a cramped 737 for 8 or 9 hours
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:38 pm
ANC

2C. OAK; as California-heavy as WN is, I think they might look at tapping into some of the Alaska-California traffic.
2D. LAS; Vegas is actually a decent market in terms of passenger numbers from ANC,
I personally think WN's entrance to ANC is not a matter of if but when. .
LAS seems most likely although I agree on the California markets. Maybe SAN(not sure how many Alaskans go to san dieho or how many southern californians go to Alaska for a cruise), OAK, or LAX
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ANC
May lord could you imagine sitting in a cramped 737 for 8 or 9 hours
Not much different than some MIA/FLL-SEA flights in the winter that hit 7+ hours.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...325Z/KMIA/KSEA
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ANC
hmmmm BWI?

That would only work if they had 700ER a/c. May lord could you imagine sitting in a cramped 737 for 8 or 9 hours
Doesn't make sense, WN has very few transcon flights as it is (1x BWI-LAX daily). They focus on shorter flights and flying people point-to-point. They handle connecting passengers well enough, but it isn't really their goal. I could see ANC-SEA and ANC-LAS easily, with ANC-DEN a maybe and ANC-somewhere in California also a maybe. BWI is simply too far, MDW is probably too far as well, and there's almost no chance WN could get a 737 out of MDW to take that long of a flight during the summer heat in Chicago without major, profit killing weight restrictions.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
2D. LAS; Vegas is actually a decent market in terms of passenger numbers from ANC,
I personally think WN's entrance to ANC is not a matter of if but when. .
LAS seems most likely although I agree on the California markets. Maybe SAN(not sure how many Alaskans go to san dieho or how many southern californians go to Alaska for a cruise), OAK, or LAX
There's not much O&D on ANC-SAN. That's a route that, if the traffic was there, AS would have probably tapped for seasonal service with their SAN push.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:50 pm
ANC

[QUOTE=TheBOSman;20178433]Doesn't make sense, BWI is simply too far, QUOTE]oh I know that. I was just trying to think of a crazy idea
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:56 pm
ANC

There's not much O&D on ANC-SAN. That's a route that, if the traffic was there, AS would have probably tapped for seasonal service with their SAN push.
true although they do run flights to a few Texas destinations from there as well. Could be an alternative for oil workers that work in TX and AK. Guessing landing fees are far cheaper in SAN than LAS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.