Print Wikipost

If WN entered ANC...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ANC
oh I know that. I was just trying to think of a crazy idea
You definitely succeeded ^ . ANC-MCO would be great too!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
You definitely succeeded ^ . ANC-MCO would be great too!
Why stop there? ANC-AUA would be a perfect fit for WN!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:05 pm

It is very seldom - ever? - that WN starts a market with only one route. Expect to see several nonstop destinations with most, if not all, continuing on to a second (and perhaps third) direct non-change-of plane destination.

ANC-SEA-DEN
ANC-DEN-ATL
ANC-OAK-LAX
ANC-LAX-PHX
ANC-MDW-ATL
ANC-PHX-HOU

Would all sound like reasonable routes. Given their quick turns, they might also try for FAI-ANC as well.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by Indelaware
It is very seldom - ever? - that WN starts a market with only one route. Expect to see several nonstop destinations with most, if not all, continuing on to a second (and perhaps third) direct non-change-of plane destination.

ANC-SEA-DEN
ANC-DEN-ATL
ANC-OAK-LAX
ANC-LAX-PHX
ANC-MDW-ATL
ANC-PHX-HOU

Would all sound like reasonable routes. Given their quick turns, they might also try for FAI-ANC as well.
This sounds about right to me. Purely speculation but SEA and DEN seem like the low hanging fruit with the possibility of PHX, LAX, or OAK. I would love to see MDW but I think it would be less likely or perhaps a later addition. FAI and or JNU would be great, too.

I suspect it wouldn't take long after entering ANC for WN to gain quite a few Companion Pass and A-List members.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Indelaware

ANC-SEA-DEN
ANC-DEN-ATL
ANC-OAK-LAX
ANC-LAX-PHX
ANC-MDW-ATL
ANC-PHX-HOU

I hadn't thought about FAI but it might make sense for WN to send two or three flights up there from ANC. It fits their business model and would give them added passenger volume for the Alaska market, which could be key as they won't be interlining with any other carriers up here.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I hadn't thought about FAI but it might make sense for WN to send two or three flights up there from ANC. It fits their business model and would give them added passenger volume for the Alaska market, which could be key as they won't be interlining with any other carriers up here.
Ooh, encroaching on AS's bread and butter routes. Time to short some ALK stock?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by Chugach

Ooh, encroaching on AS's bread and butter routes. Time to short some ALK stock?
AS charges $300 RT on ANC-FAI with advance purchase, unless you catch a sale. I'm not the only one who would welcome some fare relief for that 40 minute flight.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:59 pm

I highly doubt that WN is going to start flying ANC-FAI. There just aren't that many passengers traveling between the two. Possibly in the summer as a seasonal service but even that is highly doubtful. Between AS and 7H there are already probably too many seats in the market.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I highly doubt that WN is going to start flying ANC-FAI. There just aren't that many passengers traveling between the two. Possibly in the summer as a seasonal service but even that is highly doubtful. Between AS and 7H there are already probably too many seats in the market.
Maybe not, but lots of people fly from FAI to the outside world. And in WN's world, that means connecting through somewhere else. Might as well be ANC to kill two birds with one stone.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:31 pm

It's the second-largest O&D market from ANC, and would be a prime example of WN's infamous market stimulation.

Maybe not, but lots of people fly from FAI to the outside world. And in WN's world, that means connecting through somewhere else. Might as well be ANC to kill two birds with one stone.
Exactly.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Still for such a short flight seems that fares can use a bit more simulation...

That being said- if WN did this it'd be an all-out war.

How about WN to JNU?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Rumors too of WN starting to Hawaii- now that would be ironic if WN starts Alaska-Hawaii service
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
How about WN to JNU?
Doubt it...there's a reason there hasn't been another carrier coming into that market. It could maybe sustain something like a seasonal 1x flight to DEN or another major connecting hub, but the 1x flight per day in a market isn't WN's style.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:02 pm

Yes, but there has to be a fairly decent sized market there. Alaska has made no secret of the fact that they are looking to replace some jets up in Alaska with Horizon planes at some point once they can work the logistics out. I would bet that FAI-ANC would be one of these markets that may see a number of 737's replaced by Q400's in order to right size the airplanes to the market.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:08 pm

Yes, but there has to be a fairly decent sized market there. Alaska has made no secret of the fact that they are looking to replace some jets up in Alaska with Horizon planes at some point once they can work the logistics out. I would bet that FAI-ANC would be one of these markets that may see a number of 737's replaced by Q400's in order to right size the airplanes to the market.
With AS switching to QX they lose one peak advantage they had over 7H... a jet a/c. If not connecting 7H makes more sense for many as there's not TSA body probe to encounter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.