Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Promo: Triple Miles ANC-SEA and other routes

Promo: Triple Miles ANC-SEA and other routes

Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:19 pm

"When pricing out the value of those international F tickets (upwards of $25,000) it seems to be a pretty good ROI."

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's only worth what you would be willing to pay for such a ticket. For me, that's usually somewhere in the range of 2x the prevailing coach fare. YMMV.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by flytoeat
"When pricing out the value of those international F tickets (upwards of $25,000) it seems to be a pretty good ROI."

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's only worth what you would be willing to pay for such a ticket. For me, that's usually somewhere in the range of 2x the prevailing coach fare. YMMV.
To each his/her own. Diversity is good.

When there are folks who would rather use miles to make a 25,000 mile (almost) RTW trip in Y class, that means there are more F seats for those of us who attribue high value to them. For some, the personal calculus gives higher value to the means, mode and experience of travel not just the destination itself.

Just ask folks like Seat 2A or SFO777.

Oh, and traveling on EK there will be several very long segments and lots of time to spend in terrific F lounges. I'll easily be able to consume enough caviar, Dom Perignon, and grand cru French wine to more than make up for the outlay of miles.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Million Miler
As and AS MVP Gold, would I get triple miles on my 100% bonus miles as well....effectively giving me 6x on my miles flown?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by sea2san
As and AS MVP Gold, would I get triple miles on my 100% bonus miles as well....effectively giving me 6x on my miles flown?
nope, they add on top of each other but do not get multiplied. you'd have triple base miles plus 100% MVPG bonus on base miles, total of 4x miles ^.

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Each of the 3 purchases also offered a 10,000 mile purchase for $190.

When pricing out the value of those international F tickets (upwards of $25,000) it seems to be a pretty good ROI.
I could only justify buying miles if I needed to top up my account quickly. as a gold, you're traveling a lot and earning 2x miles as you go. You probably fly a lot of fares in the ~10cpm range, netting 5cpRDM. So 1.9cpm is a substantial fraction of the cost of travel that would earn the same miles you crave. As your travel approaches the 4cpm range, trips become "free." Any lower and they become "profitable." That could be the case for some of these promo routes with low fares and high RDM bonuses. I prefer to use the money I'd spend on miles to take fun trips to hit 75k. The 50k RDM bonus is a compelling carrot.

I would agree that $25k a stretch when considering the "real value" of saver first awards- they're capacity controlled and generally take a lot of work to book. $25k is WAY more valuable than an award reservation limited to scraps of F inventory an airline can't sell at retail. That said, intl F awards really are a phenomenal way to use your miles.

I most recently used 70k UA miles in Jan for a 2/3 rtw trip in LH, TG, and UA first. An amazing experience, but one that taught me dom perignon is overrated, after a while even luxury travel is exhausting, and put my travel aspirations in perspective. I'm still obsessed with miles, but collecting them in Y all over the world can be as much fun as burning them in F to a relatively small set of high value redemption destinations.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:43 pm

Will this work on a connecting flight itinerary? Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this promo on connecting itineraries.

Thinking of doing ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-ORD on the specific flights and wondering if I'll receive 3X on the SEA-ANC-SEA portion? Also, do you think one-way flights would qualify for this promo? Haven't seen anything prohibiting it...
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Will this work on a connecting flight itinerary? Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this promo on connecting itineraries.

Thinking of doing ORD-SEA-ANC-SEA-ORD on the specific flights and wondering if I'll receive 3X on the SEA-ANC-SEA portion? Also, do you think one-way flights would qualify for this promo? Haven't seen anything prohibiting it...
Have to watch the flight times (narrow window, especially northbound)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.