Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Upgrades - Upgrade Anytime - Never Happening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Upgrades - Upgrade Anytime - Never Happening

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:20 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by shatterpdx
In short, what I stated is still accurate. I was presented with the flights. The full-flex had the Upgrade Anytime flag noted. I even filtered the flights (which made me select this particular flight) ..... Upon booking the flight within seconds, guess what? "First Class Waitlisted"
When you booked your flight, you selected MVP Gold in the Upgrade Preference? If so, did you book the flight that had the Gold U next to the flight information or the slashed U? Here is a screenshot of what I am referring to with respect to the "U"s.

And to clarify one of the other posters, that tried saying different ranking - I confirmed it again today with desk agents.

1. 75K U Fare
2. MVP Gold U Fare
3. MVP U Fare

Correct list
1. 75K on qualifying fare based on time of booking
2. MVPG AND MVP on qualifying fare based on time of booking

At 120 Hours

1. 75K U Fare
2. 75K other fare priority
3. MVP Gold U Fare
4. MVP Gold fare priority
5. MVP U Fare
6. MVP U fare priority

Correct list
3. MVPG and MVP on qualifying fare based on time added to list

There is no 4-6 at T-120 and no fare priority

At 48 Hours
1. 75K U Fare
2. 75K other fare priority
3. MVP Gold U Fare
4. MVP Gold fare priority
5. MVP U Fare
6. MVP fare priority

Correct List

2. 75Ks on non-qualifying fare based on time of booking
3. 75Ks on all fares that booked T-119:59 and later based on time of booking
4. MVPG and MVP on qualifying fare based on time of booking
5. MVP Gold on non-qualifying fare based on time of booking
6. MVP Gold on ALL fares that booked between T-71:59 and T-48:01 based on time of booking
7. MVP on non-qualifying fare based on time of booking
8. Any MVPG or MVP on ALL fares that booked at T-47:59 and later based on time of booking

So if you book a U flight and are magically "first class waitlisted" the inventory will never open up until the day of departure. At that point in time, you will rank based on your fare-class and then check-in time.

This is not UA, fare class and time of check-in does not give you any priority.
I corrected your upgrade priority list, what is in red is wrong and the bolded part is the list of how upgrades are prioritized. MissyDarlin, please correct me if my understanding is inaccurate or if how I arranged the "correct list" is wrong. Thanks!

I have asked you to read this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html because the Gold agents are wrong.

When it comes to upgrades for AS elites, what matters is the time added to the waitlist, fare class does not mean squat except for whether you want to upgrade outside of your window or not. An MVP who buys U fare 2 months out will TRUMP the gold who buys U fare 3 weeks out. Upgrades are NOT sorted by fare priority at all.

There are two upgrade waitlists. One list is for 75Ks the other is for MVPGs and MVPs. Ok, now when an MVPG books a non-qualifying fare, they will be added to the upgrade request list then at T-72 hours out they will be added to the Upgrade Waitlist. Those who purchases instant upgrade fares will be added to the Upgrade Waitlist at booking.

Now, when the system runs upgrades, it will look at the 75K waitlist FIRST and if that list is blank it will look at the MVPG/MVP list and upgrade customers based on TIME ADDED to the waitlist. Not status, not fare class, not whether it is instant upgrade fare or non-qualifying fare. Time added to the waitlist determines priority. Now at T-120 hours, 75Ks on non-qualifying fares are added to the 75K waitlist and at that point they take priority over all Golds/MVPs on instant upgrade fares.

Please do not keep calling the Gold desk for answers with respect to upgrade priority, they do not know any more than we do here and if there is a change in how upgrades are processed, I am sure MissyDarlin will keep us in the loop and share the change with us.

If you book a flight with U posted, and available - upon booking that flight I should be upgraded. Period. I think they're selling them now as U upgrade anytime, if available - but are holding upgrade inventory until under the 120 hour window... in which you don't get it.
Agreed, if you actually did book a flight that shows Gold U and you booked on a Value fare or higher, but the system does not process your upgrade after your trip has been booked and ticketed, then please take screenshots of the flight search page reflecting the Gold U and a screenshot showing that you are waitlisted. With those documentations, PM MissyDarlin and I am sure she will be happy to do further research to see what is causing this issue and why your upgrade is not being processed as promised.

Also, just FYI, booking full flex fare DOES NOT give you any priority over Golds that are booked on Value fares, both have equal priority.

I would love for someone to prove me otherwise....

SCENARIO:
U Fare 2 Weeks before flight - 6 Available First seats - Waitlisted
48 Hours before the flight - 5 Available First seats - Waitlisted
24 Hours before the flight - 4 Available First seats
Check-in at airport - First Class FULL - While me with my U priority am number "21" on the upgrade priority list.
As for being #21 at time of departure, you were behind the following people:

75Ks booked on Qualifying fare + their companions if any
75Ks booked on Non-Qualifying fare + their companions if any
MVPGs and MVPs on Qualifying fare that booked BEFORE you as well as companions for MVPGs

This assumes you booked your ticket at least 72 hours before departure. If you booked between 72 hours and 48 hours then you will be behind all Golds. If you booked under 48 hours before departure, then you will be behind all MVPs too.

I hope this clears up some things about how AS's upgrades work.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
And to clarify one of the other posters, that tried saying different ranking - I confirmed it again today with desk agents.
Sorry but your list is still incorrect

1. 75K Immediately Upgradeable Fare (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

2. MVP Gold or MVP Immediately Upgradeable Fare (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

At 120 Hours

1. All 75K Upgrade Eligible Fares (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

2. MVP Gold or MVP Immediately Upgradeable Fare (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

At 72 Hours

3. MVP Gold or MVP Immediately Upgradeable Fare (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

4. All other Gold Upgrade Eligible Fares (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

At 48 Hours

4. All other Gold Upgrade Eligible Fares (prioritized by date added to waitlist)

4. All other MVP Upgrade Eligible Fares (prioritized by date added to waitlist)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Bottom line, be a 75K and buy early.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Bottom line, be a 75K and buy early.
and or buy Gold fare's ! I think we will see a shift to revenue based points within a year or so. Certainly by 2014
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:09 pm

another PDX view

Shatter, I feel for you but here's the view from a 6 year United 1K or Platinum with 780,000 lifetime who just made the jump.

Alaska has been making questionable moves making me decide that I likely am going to switch to an alternative, which I have never ultimately wanted to do..:

1. The new "upgrade" path
2. Lack of partner network upgrades (u never get them on delta)
3. Turboprops are slower/louder/more turbulent than CRJ's (longer flights)
4. Common routes to SFO/SJC/Calgary/Vancouver use more CRJ's than 737
5. Food in first class is attempting to get "too fancy", in which everyone opts for the "safe" meal, leaving anyone beyond row 3 with no choice.
6. While some mileage redemption rates can be low, they're pretty much never accessible. You must use 2x to 3x the miles that you would on a United or former Continental.
7. Lack of destinations going anywhere eastbound, forcing partner connections only on Delta (and Delta sucks for the record.)
8. Getting shut out of terminals .. (Anyone else have to experience that some flights out of SFO from Alaska are now going out of International terminals?)
9. My in ability of a long time elite to get on the TSA list
10. Very poor/limited functional technology. (From iphone App to website)
11. No TV's in seats. Digi-players are OK, but if you're flying to DCA - it should have different content for different directions.
12. Never have I once been invited to the MVP Gold or other meetings.
13. If a travel department handles your travels and makes a minor change to "bundled" travel like a hotel (even though it doesn't touch your reservation or confirmation codes, it will reset your upgrade if you've been upgraded.)
14. Million-Miler requirements with Alaska are difficult. Connections requirements should be added or a lower tier of million-miler. If your preferred airlines (outside of DCA/ANC/ORD) are maximum 1000 mile opportunities, it would take you 1000 flights to achieve (and partner flights aren't included!).
15. I hate getting the "Credit Card" pitch on every single flight that is taken, usually at the highest possible audible level on the intercom.
16. The bait/switch with the BOA Alaska Airlines Card
17. Static fares for first class... ALMOST always...
18. Lack of an "economy plus" type functionality being adopted by other airlines.
1-2. I do like the easy upgrade path on UA and the website is MUCH clearer about what fare class I have booked and where I stand. That being said, upgrades on United do not include power in the seats, include the same very tired food options, and became much less frequent once I dropped below 1K status.

3,4. United uses CRJs all over the nation, including relatively long flights (e.g. DEN to Toronto; Houston to Nashville). I don't like turbo props either.

5. I'd kill for "too fancy"! Try the same dry overcooked turkey sandwich swimming in cheese or the fruit and cheese plate.

6. I may live and learn on this one. 25k RT became much less available after the merger. If you book 3-4 months out, maybe,but generally it 50k standard for award tickets now.

7. Very different for me. 75% of my travel is to DCA, Bos, ORD and AS direct flights to the first two saves me 2 or more hours and potential missed connections. The DCA flight esp. was a game changer.

8. Another interesting perspective. I have no love for the crowds and bad foods in the domestic terminals at ORD. I sort of like the international terminal in SFO compared to domestic (it's a hike but they are connected behind security). Generally i find I like the int'l terminals for food and quiet (Dulles the best example).

9. That sucks. I was just moved to the fast lane in United before I jumped BUT to use the lane, I had to board in the A-B lane at PDX anyway. But I'll miss that benefit.

10-11. Ha ha ha! Try no power EVER in F or Coach, crummy drop down televisions on 757 or flip screens in A320s and old worn out planes flying every darn PDX route. WiFi, another game changer for me, been promised for years on UA and only available when you are lucky enough to get on an old Continental plane flying the IAH route.

15,16, yep, those are tacky, and UA/Chase have more generous credit card options. I'm not sure this is really good for the airline, since I am on my fifth Chase card, I cancel every 11 months, but hey if they want to toss the free miles at me, no problem!

18. Honestly I don't miss E+. Maybe I am small framed--ok I AM small framed but AS's normal economy just don't feel much different to me than E+.

I like all the things you list. Competent and friendly phone service, gate agents, attendants. Generally friendlier passengers on the plane. Flights that actually leave on time and often arrive early. The delays on UA in the last year were just too much. Arrivals back in PDX too many times after 11:30 pm.

I've jumped. We'll see how the year goes but so far so good.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by user999991
Shatter, I feel for you but here's the view from a 6 year United 1K or Platinum with 780,000 lifetime who just made the jump.

1-2. I do like the easy upgrade path on UA and the website is MUCH clearer about what fare class I have booked and where I stand. That being said, upgrades on United do not include power in the seats, include the same very tired food options, and became much less frequent once I dropped below 1K status.

3,4. United uses CRJs all over the nation, including relatively long flights (e.g. DEN to Toronto; Houston to Nashville). I don't like turbo props either.

5. I'd kill for "too fancy"! Try the same dry overcooked turkey sandwich swimming in cheese or the fruit and cheese plate.

6. I may live and learn on this one. 25k RT became much less available after the merger. If you book 3-4 months out, maybe,but generally it 50k standard for award tickets now.

7. Very different for me. 75% of my travel is to DCA, Bos, ORD and AS direct flights to the first two saves me 2 or more hours and potential missed connections. The DCA flight esp. was a game changer.

8. Another interesting perspective. I have no love for the crowds and bad foods in the domestic terminals at ORD. I sort of like the international terminal in SFO compared to domestic (it's a hike but they are connected behind security). Generally i find I like the int'l terminals for food and quiet (Dulles the best example).

9. That sucks. I was just moved to the fast lane in United before I jumped BUT to use the lane, I had to board in the A-B lane at PDX anyway. But I'll miss that benefit.

10-11. Ha ha ha! Try no power EVER in F or Coach, crummy drop down televisions on 757 or flip screens in A320s and old worn out planes flying every darn PDX route. WiFi, another game changer for me, been promised for years on UA and only available when you are lucky enough to get on an old Continental plane flying the IAH route.

15,16, yep, those are tacky, and UA/Chase have more generous credit card options. I'm not sure this is really good for the airline, since I am on my fifth Chase card, I cancel every 11 months, but hey if they want to toss the free miles at me, no problem!

18. Honestly I don't miss E+. Maybe I am small framed--ok I AM small framed but AS's normal economy just don't feel much different to me than E+.

I like all the things you list. Competent and friendly phone service, gate agents, attendants. Generally friendlier passengers on the plane. Flights that actually leave on time and often arrive early. The delays on UA in the last year were just too much. Arrivals back in PDX too many times after 11:30 pm.

I've jumped. We'll see how the year goes but so far so good.
Please let us know your thoughts as the year progresses. I on the other hand have often thought of going back to UA ( EX CO PLT.)

As for the TSA lines are they not for 75K travelers and or Gold and above? Not sure but I sure do love them.

I hate the props too, have had to arrange my travels to the Bay Area and now SD>
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thank you for this thread. I was just about to pay f more for a ticket with an instant upgrade only to notice the greyed out U next to two of the flights...no instant upgrade! Two of the flights have it, though. I'll go back and change the fare class for those other two. :-)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
No, AS' system won't split the PNR to upgrade you one at a time, and it's not smart enough to upgrade both of you as MVP's. If you and your companion are both MVP, you should book separately to ensure your best chances of being upgraded. At the gate, a GA can upgrade both of you even on a single PNR if there is still space.
This is not entirely correct. While it is true that if you book two MVPs on a single PNR using an instantly upgradeable fare on a flight for which U is available the system will not upgrade you as part of the reservation process. What you can do is call AS reservations and they will. This is important because it allows one to use a companion certificate and fly in F if both passengers are MVP and the U is open.

However there is a downside. If seats aren't available, say for the return and later one opens you won't be able to snag it and reservations using the companion are not supposed to be split.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:48 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sbedelman

However there is a downside. If seats aren't available, say for the return and later one opens you won't be able to snag it and reservations using the companion are not supposed to be split.
ok there would be no downside then because..... a 75k with a gold or a gold with an mvp or a 75k with a non status wouldnt be allowed to upgrade either if only 1 seat opened up
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ANC
ok there would be no downside then because..... a 75k with a gold or a gold with an mvp or a 75k with a non status wouldnt be allowed to upgrade either if only 1 seat opened up
I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that you can't have passengers in a different class of service (cabin) on the same reservation. So if U opened up before the applicable window and you were on an upgradeable fare then AS would not allow one of you to upgrade. Of course if you weren't using a companion you could just split the record.

Also note that if a single U opened before the window then the computer would not automatically upgrade even if the fare was eligible for instant upgrade.

Which brings up a bigger issue. I've been told by AS reservations that the system will not subsequently automatically upgrade a reservation booked using a fare eligible for instant upgrade if the U space isn't available at the time of booking. So even though the record shows the space as wait listed this refers to space after the upgrade window opens per your status. According to AS if U opens before the upgrade window nothing will happen so you have to call in repeatedly to check and then ask reservations to change your cabin.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:57 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that you can't have passengers in a different class of service (cabin) on the same reservation. So if U opened up before the applicable window and you were on an upgradeable fare then AS would not allow one of you to upgrade. Of course if you weren't using a companion you could just split the record.

maybe you misunderstood What I was trying to say is that it doesnt matter what your status level is, if only 1 F seat opens up for upgrade and you are on a companion fare neither person is going to be upgraded whether its 2 75k's or a 75k and a pa kettle. So theres no downside from booking a companion fare as 2 MVPs as opposed to 2 Gold75k members if there is no U space currently open

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.