Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Oct 7, 17, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just switched my loyalty from UA to AS and as a newly minted 75K.. trying to understand the differences between the two programs.

Can someone kindly chime in to see if I have this right?

1. A SDC can be confirmed at 10pm the night prior, but you can only change flights on the same calendar day unlike the rolling 24h window on UA
2. There does not need to be availability in the original fare class, as long as the flight isnt sold out
3. No changes in routing, except for IRROPs

Does that seem correct?

Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 17, 10:38 am

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Just switched my loyalty from UA to AS and as a newly minted 75K.. trying to understand the differences between the two programs.

Can someone kindly chime in to see if I have this right?

1. A SDC can be confirmed at 10pm the night prior, but you can only change flights on the same calendar day unlike the rolling 24h window on UA
2. There does not need to be availability in the original fare class, as long as the flight isnt sold out
3. No changes in routing, except for IRROPs

Does that seem correct?

Thank you!
^Yep, that it. The only exception to the calendar day is flights between 12:00 am midnight and 3:59am which can SDC to flights after 10pm the evening before.

As a Gold/75K, you can also standby for any sold out flight on your routing as well, which is only available to MVP and below on shuttle routes or refundable tickets.
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:17 am

Programs: AS 75K
SDC to a later flight?

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere in this thread already, but trying to figure out my options.

I do not currently have status on AS (now if they would only speed up my status match request...). I am on a 6:00 AM flight. Later flights that day on my route are at Noon and 5:00 PM. Is there any way I can get SDC'd to a later flight for the $25 fee?

By my reading of the rules, the noon flight would not be available for me to SDC to until the time of my original departure. Is there any wiggle room here if, for example, I was to call AS at 4:00 AM. I note the web page says, "If you've already missed your flight and wish to use our same day confirmed flight change for another flight on your original travel day, please see an airport agent for assistance." That seems to imply I could miss my flight and so long as there is still availability on a later flight I could change to that for $25, but that seems quite risky!

Also, my end goal is to get on the 5:00 PM flight, so if I first change to the 12:00 flight and then later to the 5:00 PM flight, I assume I have to pay 2x $25?

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 17, 10:42 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Originally Posted by shotime1 View Post
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere in this thread already, but trying to figure out my options.

I do not currently have status on AS (now if they would only speed up my status match request...). I am on a 6:00 AM flight. Later flights that day on my route are at Noon and 5:00 PM. Is there any way I can get SDC'd to a later flight for the $25 fee?

By my reading of the rules, the noon flight would not be available for me to SDC to until the time of my original departure. Is there any wiggle room here if, for example, I was to call AS at 4:00 AM. I note the web page says, "If you've already missed your flight and wish to use our same day confirmed flight change for another flight on your original travel day, please see an airport agent for assistance." That seems to imply I could miss my flight and so long as there is still availability on a later flight I could change to that for $25, but that seems quite risky!

Also, my end goal is to get on the 5:00 PM flight, so if I first change to the 12:00 flight and then later to the 5:00 PM flight, I assume I have to pay 2x $25?

Thanks.
Be warned, there is a newly revised no-show policy in effect where you could lose the value of the ticket.

Your best option is calling the agent to discuss options.

Jiburi
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:05 am

Once checked in, can I not request a SDC anymore? I don't see the option anywhere either online or on the app
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LeonS View Post
Once checked in, can I not request a SDC anymore? I don't see the option anywhere either online or on the app
You can but it requires a call to Alaska.
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
You can but it requires a call to Alaska.
Thanks

I wish there was a way to see availability myself (just because they are still selling tickets doesn't mean that I won't be place in Stand By, right?) and do it all from my end.
Old Dec 1, 17, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LeonS View Post
Thanks

I wish there was a way to see availability myself (just because they are still selling tickets doesn't mean that I won't be place in Stand By, right?) and do it all from my end.
Once luggage is checked, it goes away online. Otherwise it should be visible.
Old Dec 25, 17, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by shotime1 View Post

Thanks.
i want to do this same thing, currently booked on 7am BZN-SEA flight and would like to shift to the evening flight (which has availability). How did this work out for you?
Old Dec 26, 17, 7:26 pm

I spent a good amount of time on the phone with AS tonight, pointing out that the policy is worthless if you are on an early flight and want a much later flight in the evening. They confirmed that is the case and that the only way we can move from the 7:20am flight to the 6:50pm flight is to refare. Its odd and in talking with them its not at all clear there is any rationale for this distinction. Other carriers use the number of hours from the ticketed flight, thus opening the option for later departing flights. No big deal, but this morning flight were on is full and always overbooked. So it would make sense for them to do something here.
Old Jan 6, 18, 2:57 pm

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm a little confused about this policy for VX flights now that we're in the new year.

I'm MVPG and am looking to book a VX SFO-LAX early morning flight for next Friday. There's a possibility that I'll have to go into work that day and will need to SDC/Standby for a much later evening flight. Does it matter if I book the flight via Virgin's website or Alaska's website? I just want to make sure that I won't have to pay an extra fee if I do end up needing to take a later flight.
Old Jan 9, 18, 5:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
I noticed on the Alaska Airlines website, they say "For MVP Mileage Plan™ members and those traveling in the same reservation, the 6 hour request limitation does not apply — all eligible and available flights will be displayed. Changes can be made online during online check-in beginning at 10:00pm local time the day prior to original flight."

I thought MVP members were unable to do SDC for free and that you had to by MVP Gold to take advantage of this benefit? Has this policy changed?
Old Jan 9, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by BoeingEngineer View Post
I noticed on the Alaska Airlines website, they say "For MVP Mileage Plan members and those traveling in the same reservation, the 6 hour request limitation does not apply all eligible and available flights will be displayed. Changes can be made online during online check-in beginning at 10:00pm local time the day prior to original flight."

I thought MVP members were unable to do SDC for free and that you had to by MVP Gold to take advantage of this benefit? Has this policy changed?
I don't think anything has changed. MVPs still pay $25 for the change, they're just not held to the 6-hour rule.
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
So SDC could explain why F loads change all the sudden at t-24ish without any U space opening and without an AC swap, people could be SDCing from one flight to another. Maybe for a better time? Maybe for fare arbitrage maybe a little bit of both.

Last edited by pfpdx; Jan 17, 18 at 12:37 pm Reason: more context
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by pfpdx View Post
So SDC could explain why F loads change all the sudden at t-24ish without any U space opening and without an AC swap, people could be SDCing from one flight to another. Maybe for a better time? Maybe for fare arbitrage maybe a little bit of both.
Yeah. I swap OUT of F upgrades to better times (off of cheaper tickets) all the time. Back in the day you would clear into F fairly consistently too because waitlist order was not tracked as closely. Not so true any more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: