Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Jun 14, 16, 1:07 pm

I don't use this benefit often and am confused how it works if you have an early flight (say noon) and you wanted to push back to the last flight of the day? I have SEA-SMF in discounted F for noon and really need to knock back some work during the day and help get my kids down in the evening now and wanted to grab a seat on the 9:15pm flight. Under the "six hours prior" to my desired new flight, I am essentially no showing on my ticketed flight, so SOL if there are no seats left at 3:15pm for the 9:15pm. And I don't care about F, will gladly sit in the back of the bus if that gets me on the later flight.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Please don't make me read hundreds of posts...

We're Gold, on mileage award tickets, totally on AS - we currently have a 7 am flight, would like to change to a 10 am at 10 pm the night before...

Yes?
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Please don't make me read hundreds of posts...

We're Gold, on mileage award tickets, totally on AS - we currently have a 7 am flight, would like to change to a 10 am at 10 pm the night before...

Yes?
Yes, if there is space available on the 10am.
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:52 pm

Thank you! Maybe not perfect seats but vs. getting up at the crack of dawn in Vegas...I'll deal with it.
Old Jul 16, 16, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
did a quick search but did not find anything. AS is offering a cheaper flight to do an overnight layover. i'm trying to get miles to retain status here. they have SMF-SEA (overnight) - SNA

is it possible to change to an earlier SMF-SEA flight to connect and get home without staying the night? i'm curious how AS would view that.
Old Jul 16, 16, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
did a quick search but did not find anything. AS is offering a cheaper flight to do an overnight layover. i'm trying to get miles to retain status here. they have SMF-SEA (overnight) - SNA

is it possible to change to an earlier SMF-SEA flight to connect and get home without staying the night? i'm curious how AS would view that.
I often see these overnights, too, and usually the cost of the hotel makes them not cost effective. Plus, even if you could change to a same-day flight and get rid of the overnight, your hotel is usually outside a 24 hr (if that) cancellation window.

But if you can do it (change to an earlier all the same day connection) I'd like to know about it, too.
Old Dec 1, 16, 11:24 am

Just for a data point since I couldn't find it elsewhere before my trip.

I just flew AS flights bookended with codeshares, but all AS ticket stock (AA-AS-AS-AA) and wanted to SDC my final flight to avoid a ridiculous layover. It was very, very difficult to do for some reason. Couldn't do it online with AS or AA, so I tried the AS gate agent prior to my AS return. She didn't know but took the initiative to call AS reservations to find out. The phone agent quoted me $600 to re-ticket. Hah! No thanks.

Made it my connection point with the long layover so figured I'd try some check-in agents. I first tried AS again since there was no line, and she predictably told me to go to AA. The AA agent looked at the reservation and said there's nothing he could do since it was an AS ticket. He advised me to call AS again. Did that, but it was predictably futile though the rep in Boise was very friendly. She told me that AA should be able to take control of my ticket since it was the last leg. So I went to another (hopefully more competent) AA agent with this information. He gave a kind of snobbish laugh and said no, he wouldn't have to do that. 3 minutes and $75 later I was on a flight 6 hours earlier than originally scheduled. Why was it so hard for AA to take my $75 to SDC when it's obviously possible?

Oh, and FWIW the AS app WOULD allow me to SDC my AS flights at check-in as long as my codeshare on AA stayed the same.
Old Dec 1, 16, 12:54 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium View Post
Just for a data point since I couldn't find it elsewhere before my trip.

I just flew AS flights bookended with codeshares, but all AS ticket stock (AA-AS-AS-AA) and wanted to SDC my final flight to avoid a ridiculous layover. It was very, very difficult to do for some reason. Couldn't do it online with AS or AA, so I tried the AS gate agent prior to my AS return. She didn't know but took the initiative to call AS reservations to find out. The phone agent quoted me $600 to re-ticket. Hah! No thanks.

Made it my connection point with the long layover so figured I'd try some check-in agents. I first tried AS again since there was no line, and she predictably told me to go to AA. The AA agent looked at the reservation and said there's nothing he could do since it was an AS ticket. He advised me to call AS again. Did that, but it was predictably futile though the rep in Boise was very friendly. She told me that AA should be able to take control of my ticket since it was the last leg. So I went to another (hopefully more competent) AA agent with this information. He gave a kind of snobbish laugh and said no, he wouldn't have to do that. 3 minutes and $75 later I was on a flight 6 hours earlier than originally scheduled. Why was it so hard for AA to take my $75 to SDC when it's obviously possible?

Oh, and FWIW the AS app WOULD allow me to SDC my AS flights at check-in as long as my codeshare on AA stayed the same.
AS SDC rules require that your flight be operated by AS.

AA's SDC rules require that your flight be marketed and operated by AA. So technically, while it was clearly possible, they would have been within their rights to say no.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Dec 1, 16, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Did an online SDC Tuesday night at 10pm. Original flight was 1pm Wednesday QX. Moved to 10am OO. Interesting data point. While 3 U seats showed as available I could not request F waitlist as I had made the change while checking in. My upgrade did process at 4am. I got the last one. So as a 75K I processed behind two others.
I never did have a chance to call anyone because right after I made the change work beckoned until 6am.
Also, posting here instead of the upgrade thread as I feel this is more SDC related than upgrade related.
Old Feb 26, 17, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I have a 915 RNO-SEA award flight but want to go at 8pm same day. I'm MVP gold. Can I do this ? How hard is it to change. American and delta have to have same fare
Old Feb 27, 17, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
I have a 915 RNO-SEA award flight but want to go at 8pm same day. I'm MVP gold. Can I do this ? How hard is it to change. American and delta have to have same fare
AS an AS elite, 10 PM the night before departure the change can be made online during OLCI, thru the AS app, or by calling. If it's the same day and AS is selling seats in Y, you should be good (assuming no routing changes either). As an MVPG your SDC fee ($25) is waived as well.
Old Feb 27, 17, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Amazing ! Wow. American won't even SDC award tickets. They make the same bucket have to be available for low miles. So as long as Y1 in good to go!?
Old Feb 27, 17, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
Amazing ! Wow. American won't even SDC award tickets. They make the same bucket have to be available for low miles. So as long as Y1 in good to go!?
Yup. Any seat in the cabin you're booked in. I did it today. Booked seat in W (super saver award) switched to flight with Y1.
Old Mar 7, 17, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did my first same-day change last night at 2200, moving this afternoon's SEA-SMF to a morning flight instead. Did check prior to 2200 and it would have been a $208 fare increase, so a lot of value in waiving change fees and not collecting the additional fare on these. Extra bonus was that I was one of two that cleared the upgrade list prior to departure.
Old Mar 7, 17, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Did my first same-day change last night at 2200, moving this afternoon's SEA-SMF to a morning flight instead. Did check prior to 2200 and it would have been a $208 fare increase, so a lot of value in waiving change fees and not collecting the additional fare on these.
Yep. One of the best features of MVPG.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: