Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I see you're a UA elite so you're use to their more liberal standby policy where same day refers to a 24 hour day that starts from the time your original flight is scheduled to depart. AS does not allow any travel to carry over to the next day as a free standby.

The UA policy can be used to turn one-ways in round-trips for the cost a one-way award. I turned in 10K for a short haul award from PDX-SEA and routed myself PDX-SFO-MCI-DEN-SEA and then we I got to MCI, I used SDC for the next day and then the following day, I used SDC again so I essentially got to visit family for a couple nights in Missouri without having to get a round-trip ticket ^
yeah. UA's SDC policy is insane. you can get really creative. but good to know about AS. i want to hang out in SEA a little longer to watch a football game so if i can get the 6:45pm flight to SNA on 10/31 that would be great.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by haddon90
doing a small MR on saturday SNA-PDX and then PDX-SEA-SNA. when i check in for the PDX-SEA-SNA segment, does the ap list all of the SDC options? i'm hoping to do either the last flight to SNA or stay the night in PDX and fly back sunday.

also, does AS allow you to SDC while in transit? land in SEA and SDC to the next day SEA-SNA?
Try checking in for SEA after your initial checkin if not all your preferred options are displayed. Yes the old UA SDC was crazy.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
While I don't expect AS to offer the crazy SDC that UA had, I do wish they would at least allow for (legal) routing changes....I know some agents have been known to bend the rules on this, but it's still not allowed online since it's against official policy.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:13 pm

Does anyone make a habit of using this to buy cheaper tickets on the regular? I'm tempted to buy some cheap weekday daytime flights and plan on there being an open seat for the evening flight I actually want at the 10 pm the night before (MVPG). I'm guessing it'll usually work and I'll save a lot of money, expect for the time it doesn't and I get stuck having to fly when I should be at work.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Does anyone make a habit of using this to buy cheaper tickets on the regular? I'm tempted to buy some cheap weekday daytime flights and plan on there being an open seat for the evening flight I actually want at the 10 pm the night before (MVPG). I'm guessing it'll usually work and I'll save a lot of money, expect for the time it doesn't and I get stuck having to fly when I should be at work.
Or giving up a confirmed F seat for a coach middle....which usually doesn't trump a more convenient schedule (at least for me).
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:59 pm

Or giving up a confirmed F seat for a coach middle....which usually doesn't trump a more convenient schedule (at least for me).
All OAK-PDX Q400s for me, so that won't be a problem
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All OAK-PDX Q400s for me, so that won't be a problem
My "first class" seat on that plane is 1A or 1B
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:35 pm

I'm going to do a trial run on a flight in April. Hopefully save an easy $91. I guess I can keep an eye on the seating chart as we get closer, although by then if I bail on my plan I'll end up spending more.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:30 am
21A

Any experiences with SDC on only the first leg of two (thus lengthening the connection)? I don't see anything preventing this.

If yes, does the answer depend on...
- whether there is an earlier flight available for the second leg as the next-out connection
- whether the new connection created is >4 hours long
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by 21A
Any experiences with SDC on only the first leg of two (thus lengthening the connection)? I don't see anything preventing this.

If yes, does the answer depend on...
- whether there is an earlier flight available for the second leg as the next-out connection
- whether the new connection created is >4 hours long
I looked at SDC options for a similar scenario last month and it was allowed for the first flight but the earlier flight option would only allow new (earlier) connecting flights as well, not my original connection. Second segment was SEA-PDX so couldn't see if it would allow a connection greater than 4 hours as long as it was the next one. My original connection would have been more than 4 hours if I SDC'd to the earlier first leg.

I would think that the answer would be any flight under 4 hour connect or next available, as consistant with the fare rules.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I give up confirmed F all the time for a more convenient schedule. I've never ended up in coach middle*.

*except the one time my alarm didn't go off and I missed my EWR-SEA flight entirely, which doesn't count because that wasn't an intentional SDC. I still got 6E though. I have never been so happy to have a middle seat in my life.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i don't "make a habit of it", but i do this at least a couple times a year on PDX/SEA-SMF and vv and it usually works out fine.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i don't "make a habit of it", but i do this at least a couple times a year on PDX/SEA-SMF and vv and it usually works out fine.
Yeah I did it a couple times and didn't get burned but I'm not planning to make a habit of it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Agreed on the SEA to PDX it works well. I did get hosed on a SEA to GEG on holiday weekend, I had to fly out earlier than intended. Learned my lesson there
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
In my experience, if you try to SDC on the second leg a flight, it needs to depart within 4 hours of the arrival of the first flight, so no overnight stay or layover from morning to late afternoon.

Yes, I do SDC occasionally to save money, especially the SEA to GEG runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.