Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by jona970318
Something may have changed recently along these lines...just tried changing an SFO-JFK flight to SFO-EWR, and was turned down by two different agents.
While I know this used to be an unofficial exception they made for elites, seem like that might be changing.

Anyone else with similar experience as of late?
JFK/EWR has always been considered as two different airports by AS, unless there is a same-day delay…
beckoa likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318
Something may have changed recently along these lines...just tried changing an SFO-JFK flight to SFO-EWR, and was turned down by two different agents.
While I know this used to be an unofficial exception they made for elites, seem like that might be changing.

Anyone else with similar experience as of late?
AS would not let us SDC from IAD to DCA when we tried after they informed us of a 2-3 hour delay to our flight. Agents held firmed that coterm not allowed without significant delays which they didn’t know what qualified for that but said 2-3 hours wasn’t enough.

AS actually knew about the delay the day before and said it wasn't mechanical or weather, but wouldn't tell us the reason. There was a large school trip on the inbound flight with over 100 kids so perhaps they had some issues and needed to wait for that group. But in any case not a great experience as before agents would make exceptions for delays.
be_rettSEA and anteater like this.

Last edited by olouie; Mar 1, 2023 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by olouie;[url=tel:35053193
35053193[/url]]AS would not let us SDC from IAD to DCA when we tried after they informed us of a 2-3 hour delay to our flight. Agents held firmed that coterm not allowed without significant delays which they didn’t know what qualified for that but said 2-3 hours wasn’t enough.

AS actually knew about the delay the day before and said it wasn't mechanical or weather, but wouldn't tell us the reason. There was a large school trip on the inbound flight with over 100 kids so perhaps they had some issues and needed to wait for that group. But in any case not a great experience as before agents would make exceptions for delays.
If you want to send me the flight information, I can see if EF still has the flight notes. 🤙🏻🍹
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
If you want to send me the flight information, I can see if EF still has the flight notes. 🤙🏻🍹
Thanks sent it over. Might be too late now, but worth a shot. I wonder what the cut off for coterm SDC is when there are delays.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Thanks sent it over. Might be too late now, but worth a shot. I wonder what the cut off for coterm SDC is when there are delays.
While EF can show that specific flight, it doesn't seem to provide access the flight notes beyond two days. I can view the notes for 2/27, though not helpful for this.

Technically, I don't believe AS considers it a "co-terminal change" if they are allowing changes due to delays. It would be AS re-accommodating pax and they tend to be generous if you can find a suitable routing to get from A to B. Your experience sounds frustrating, though!

edit: EF said they didn't have access to it either at that point in time.
olouie and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 2, 2023 at 2:47 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 5:27 pm

While EF can show that specific flight, it doesn't seem to provide access the flight notes beyond two days. I can view the notes for 2/27, though not helpful for this.

Technically, I don't believe AS considers it a "co-terminal change" if they are allowing changes due to delays. It would be AS re-accommodating pax and they tend to be generous if you can find a suitable routing to get from A to B. Your experience sounds frustrating, though!
Yeah I've found them pretty easy to work with in the past but maybe that is changing. Multiple agents while doing HUACA refused to make changes without fare difference. Strange since they knew about the delay for 20 hours at least (thats when I noticed hours before AS sent anything to us) so I thought they would be accommodating. I know minor delays dont count, but previous had no issues with 2-3 hours delays and getting things moved around.
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
AS would not let us SDC from IAD to DCA when we tried after they informed us of a 2-3 hour delay to our flight. Agents held firmed that coterm not allowed without significant delays which they didn’t know what qualified for that but said 2-3 hours wasn’t enough.

That's really odd since when there's schedule changes in advance of more than 1 hour, nearby airport changes (including BWI/DCA/IAD) are allowed when the automated rebooking system is enabled.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by econ
That's really odd since when there's schedule changes in advance of more than 1 hour, nearby airport changes (including BWI/DCA/IAD) are allowed when the automated rebooking system is enabled.
Wouldn’t allow automated rebooking, maybe due to upgrade clearing?
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Wouldn’t allow automated rebooking, maybe due to upgrade clearing?
I was thinking of the one that often comes up when there's a schedule change months in advance. Not sure if AS has automated rebooking during irrops, or at least I haven't encountered it.

My thought was that it's weird they wouldn't offer at least the same degree of flexibility for a 2-3 hour flight delay.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by econ
I was thinking of the one that often comes up when there's a schedule change months in advance. Not sure if AS has automated rebooking during irrops, or at least I haven't encountered it.

My thought was that it's weird they wouldn't offer at least the same degree of flexibility for a 2-3 hour flight delay.
AS should have IMO.

Can always escalate to a supervisor too.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS should have IMO.

Can always escalate to a supervisor too.
Perhaps a one off. Bad weather across the country meant a lot of cranky fliers and phone agents seemed overwhelmed and just wanted to get the conversations over with.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K
when it comes to SDC-ing an itinerary with a connection, lets say LAX-SFO-SEA departing LAX. at 9am. If I'd like to SDC that same exact routing to later in the day, will AS provide new flights times for both legs at the 24hr mark from LAX or would I have to wait until SFO-SEA hits the 24hr mark? ALso, would this require calling/texting AS or does OLCI/app handle this well?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio;[url=tel:35131012
35131012]when it comes to SDC-ing an itinerary with a connection, lets say LAX-SFO-SEA departing LAX. at 9am. If I'd like to SDC that same exact routing to later in the day, will AS provide new flights times for both legs at the 24hr mark from LAX or would I have to wait until SFO-SEA hits the 24hr mark? ALso, would this require calling/texting AS or does OLCI/app handle this well?
AS used to be lenient and allow a change to the full itinerary, but I’ve been experiencing hard stops when I have tried to do this in the recent past. Technically, it is policy to wait until the T-24 hour mark.

So, if you’re on 9AM LAX-SFO and 12PM SFO-SEA, and you can change to any other LAX-SFO flight, you may end up in a bind if you can’t change SFO-SEA at T-24 of 12PM.

As for how to execute the SDC, the app should work but you could also text or call.

Personally, with the increased load factors and reduced SFO flights, and with the UG professor regularly clearing all J after T-24 I have found SDC to be a diminished benefit.

Let us know how it goes! 🤙🏻🥃
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:31 pm

Personally, with the increased load factors and reduced SFO flights, and with the UG professor regularly clearing all J after T-24 I have found SDC to be a diminished benefit.
Usually I use SDC to switch to a later flight, so I still find some benefit there. Agree, switching to an earlier flight is rough trying to find one with available J.
buschoi, anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:01 pm

Is Alaska ever flexible on the 24 hour window? I see a SDC I'd like to make is available with an empty row where I can stick my family, but my change window does not open for another 2 hours. I kinda doubt these seats will be available when my window opens.

I assume no, but thought I'd check with y'all for your experience.

Update: I called reservations and they made the change a half an hour prior to T-24, (and I got the seats I needed, and my partner is first on the upgrade list, woohoo) so I'm guessing T-24 is the policy but nothing preventing agents from being flexible on the window. I am a happy Alaska Airlines customer today.
samosa and Bellerina like this.

Last edited by doublemazaa; Apr 7, 2023 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.