Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by simonsuo
It is interesting to see ONT is considered as a co-terminal with PSP, not other LA airports.
AFAIK, it’s not. OPs picture was of AS schedule change re-accommodation options. The only AS co-terminals are:

SEA/PAE
SFO/SJC/OAK
SNA/LAX/ONT/BUR

🤙🏻

Co-terminal changes are allowed during a SDC if they follow the fare rules and only for the aforementioned list (which is from the fare rules). For example, a LAX-SFO ticket could SDC to a SNA-SFO ticket; however, a SNA-SFO ticket cannot SDC to SNA-SJC because it would require routing through another airport such as SEA; turning it into SNA-SEA-SJC.
simonsuo and Thichbay like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
AFAIK, it’s not. OPs picture was of AS schedule change re-accommodation options. The only AS co-terminals are:

SEA/PAE
SFO/SJC/OAK
SNA/LAX/ONT/BUR

🤙🏻

Co-terminal changes are allowed during a SDC if they follow the fare rules and only for the aforementioned list (which is from the fare rules). For example, a LAX-SFO ticket could SDC to a SNA-SFO ticket; however, a SNA-SFO ticket cannot SDC to SNA-SJC because it would require routing through another airport such as SEA; turning it into SNA-SEA-SJC.
Are co-terminals like DAL/DFW, DCA/IAD, JFK/EWR and now FLL/MIA not allowed for a SDC? Cause I could’ve sworn at one point I got them to swap a DAL flight to DFW but that might’ve just been a really nice customer service agent then
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
Are co-terminals like DAL/DFW, DCA/IAD, JFK/EWR and now FLL/MIA not allowed for a SDC? Cause I could’ve sworn at one point I got them to swap a DAL flight to DFW but that might’ve just been a really nice customer service agent then
AFAIK, AS doesn’t consider those co-terminals.

From my experience, AS used to be very flexible in accommodating airport change requests up until some point this year when they rigidly began adhering to policy.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Alaska, American
Same Day Flight Change rules/strategies?

Hi all -

I've been reading this forum for a while and have seen people talk about SDCs (which I assume are Same Day flight Changes), and I'm hoping to start a discussion on rules and strategies for using them. I cannot find much information on Alaska's website and have never used them myself, so I only have questions, and no answers. FWIW, I'm MVP75K.

If this is more appropriate for the "general questions" thread, I apologize. I just was guessing that there are others in the same boat as me who may have follow-up questions.

Rules Questions:
1) If you do a SDC, does it need to have the same routing? For example, if I'm flying LAX-DCA, could I do a SDC that goes LAX-SEA-DCA (or vice versa - can I do a SDC that turns a 1-stop flight into a direct?)
2) Can specific airports (but not markets) changes. For example, if I'm flying SEA-LAX, could I SDC to SEA-BUR?
3) If the answer to (2) is 'yes', what airports constitutes a market? SEA/PAE? LAX/BUR/ONT? DCA/IAD? JFK/EWR? Others?

Strategy Questions:
A) Why would you do an SDC? I can think of a few reason (personal schedule changed, an indirect flight was a lot cheaper but now you can switch for free to a direct flight), but I'm sure there are others.
B) Is it possible to do an SDC explicitly to get upgraded? I'm not sure how this would work, but it strikes me as plausible.
C) Would you get miles for the new routing? For example, if I SDC from DCA-LAX to DCA-SEA-LAX, would I the extra miles that the longer routing accrues?

Really, I welcome all thoughts/experiences/stories. I fly a fair amount and have never used this "benefit" of status, so I feel like it's something I should intelligently put into my bag of tricks.

Thanks all!
-HD
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The rules require an SDC to keep the same routing, but in practice it's agent dependent. For example, I called once to try to change a BOS-SEA-SFO to BOS-SFO and got denied by the first agent, but called again that night and was able to make the change. I believe if you can change the routing you accrue more miles for it, and I think some coterminals are allowed (for example SFO/SJC/OAK) but am not sure.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by humdinger
Hi all -

I've been reading this forum for a while and have seen people talk about SDCs (which I assume are Same Day flight Changes), and I'm hoping to start a discussion on rules and strategies for using them. I cannot find much information on Alaska's website and have never used them myself, so I only have questions, and no answers. FWIW, I'm MVP75K.

If this is more appropriate for the "general questions" thread, I apologize. I just was guessing that there are others in the same boat as me who may have follow-up questions.

Rules Questions:
1) If you do a SDC, does it need to have the same routing? For example, if I'm flying LAX-DCA, could I do a SDC that goes LAX-SEA-DCA (or vice versa - can I do a SDC that turns a 1-stop flight into a direct?)
2) Can specific airports (but not markets) changes. For example, if I'm flying SEA-LAX, could I SDC to SEA-BUR?
3) If the answer to (2) is 'yes', what airports constitutes a market? SEA/PAE? LAX/BUR/ONT? DCA/IAD? JFK/EWR? Others?

Strategy Questions:
A) Why would you do an SDC? I can think of a few reason (personal schedule changed, an indirect flight was a lot cheaper but now you can switch for free to a direct flight), but I'm sure there are others.
B) Is it possible to do an SDC explicitly to get upgraded? I'm not sure how this would work, but it strikes me as plausible.
C) Would you get miles for the new routing? For example, if I SDC from DCA-LAX to DCA-SEA-LAX, would I the extra miles that the longer routing accrues?

Really, I welcome all thoughts/experiences/stories. I fly a fair amount and have never used this "benefit" of status, so I feel like it's something I should intelligently put into my bag of tricks.

Thanks all!
-HD
1) Yes, you will need to keep the same routing. AS used to be lenient about this.

2+3) AS doesn't allow SDC between co-terminals, except for these: SFO/OAK/SJC AND LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT AND PAE/SEA. And, you can't use this to change a direct flight to include a connecting flight. For example, SJC-SNA has no direct flights. If you want to change a SFO-SNA ticket into SJC-SNA you will be denied, but you could change it into SJC-LAX or SFO-LAX.

A) Fits better with one's schedule

B) Sure. If you are on a flight with FC sold out, but you see another flight with FC empty you could SDC to that flight. Though, technically this resets your "time of booking" to be when you execute the SDC. Since the UG list is: Elite Status, Fare Class, Time of Booking -- you'll need to carefully weigh if this is worth it depending on the load factor between the two flights.

C) Yes, you would earn the miles for the new routing.

Here's the link to the SDC change: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes.

Here's the fare rule section for SDC's from a SFO-SNA ticket,
Advanced Reservation/Ticketing: RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED BY 1159PM 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. NOTE - EXCEPTION - FOR TICKETS ISSUED AT ALASKAAIR.COM / ALASKA AIRLINES RESERVATIONS OR TICKET COUNTER TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT TIME OF RESERVATION. . NOTE - STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. . EXCEPTION - GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS / CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/J/Y CLASS / PLUS ANY PASSENGER TRAVELING BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS AS NOTED BELOW. CUSTOMERS NOT QUALIFYING FOR FREE STANDBY MAY USE THE SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE. . //STANDBY CONDITIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS// . A. PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED BY BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST. . B. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR EARLIER / LATER SAME DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST . C. PASSENGERS BOOKED ON RED-EYE FLIGHTS BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4AM MAY STANDBY THE CALENDAR DAY PRIOR. . D.STANDBY AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS - SAME ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ CONNECTION/ THRU CITY. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE PROHIBITED. . E. STANDBY MAY BE REQUESTED VIA WEB CHECK-IN/ AIRPORT KIOSK / OR AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT. . NOTE - SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE . ALL CUSTOMERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE SUBJECT TO SEAT AVAILABILITY IN THE TICKETED CABIN AT THE TIME OF THE REQUEST. . CHARGE USD 25.00 FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS AND FOR TRAVEL WHOLLY WITHIN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. CHARGE USD 50.00 FOR ALL OTHER SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES. . THE CHARGE IS WAIVED FOR GOLD LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/J/Y CLASS. . //SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE CONDITIONS// A. PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST. . B. PERMITTED FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES/HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST. . C.CUSTOMERS MAY REQUEST A SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGE DURING THE CHECK-IN WINDOW OF THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT FOR FLIGHTS DEPARTING ON THE SAME CALENDAR DAY AS THE ORIGINAL DEPARTURE. . D. SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS -SAME ORIGIN / DESTINATION/ CONNECTION / THRU CITY IF APPLICABLE . CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE ALLOWED FOR SFO/OAK/SJC AND LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT AND PAE/SEA. . E. SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE MAY BE REQUESTED VIA RESERVATIONS/WEB CHECK-IN / AIRPORT KIOSK/ OR WITH AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 17, 2022 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
SEA & PAE

Originally Posted by anteater

SEA/PAE
SFO/SJC/OAK
SNA/LAX/ONT/BUR

🤙🏻

Unless it's changed in the last few weeks I can tell you from personal experience that AS does not consider SEA and PAE Co terminals. I wish they did.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by SimonT007
Unless it's changed in the last few weeks I can tell you from personal experience that AS does not consider SEA and PAE Co terminals. I wish they did.
Do you have more information / context?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Love AS

Due to personal reasons I needed to SDC my 1x SAN-JFK to a red eye but the only red eye available was through SEA. Usually, it’s not a problem except this time ALL of the SAN - SEA flights were full (on a Saturday in Jan???). However the agent was persistent and able to route me SAN - SFO - SEA.

This is why I love AS, the agents go above and beyond to help when they don’t need to. Changing to SAN - SEA - JFK is already technically against the rules so I was delighted to hear that I can inadvertently do a segment run this early.

Besides general amazing hospitality, I wonder if there is some unspoken agreement here with elites, like “we know that you’ll have a lot more options on the legacies so we will be able to bend the rules a bit”.
skyblue and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Switched LAX-EWR to LAX-SFO-EWR tonight.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Curious: “ Changing to SAN - SEA - JFK is already technically against the rules”. I think this perfectly fits the rule?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Curious: “ Changing to SAN - SEA - JFK is already technically against the rules”. I think this perfectly fits the rule?
By book, I cannot change my direct SAN - JFK to SAN - SEA - JFK. In practice nearly everyone can space permitted.
buschoi and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by SimonT007
Yes I have done it. Changed SEA-PSP to PAE-PSP, without an issue. This was about 2 months ago. On a difference issue, I was talking to an agent on the phone, for a post above, and she confirmed SEA/PAE are co-terminals for SDC for Golds/75K people.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
By book, I cannot change my direct SAN - JFK to SAN - SEA - JFK. In practice nearly everyone can space permitted.
Per official rules, no, but many agents do it, especially for elite. I SDC from FLL-LAX-SEA to FLL-SEA last week. When I was stuck in Miami traffic and realized I wouldn’t make the baggage cut-off time, I changed it to FLL-LAX-SEA for the following day ($9 more due to airport fees). Once done, the agent proceeded to SDC to FLL-SEA non stop, which was $400+ more expensive, and sent me $9 in credit for airport fee reduction.

HUCA. There are good agents who still take really good care of elites.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:35 pm

Just a heads up.. if you’re going the HUCA method while asking AS to do something against policy they can and do make notes on your account.

SDC rules require the same routing. For example, asking to change SFO-JFK to SFO-SEA-JFK is not allowed and while you may find an improperly trained agent who is willing to do this, be careful about calling multiple times after they say no on the first request.

🙌🏻🍹

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.