Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Oct 11, 14, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
Does AS split upgrades by default? I'd have assumed they'd upgrade us together or not at all on the same PNR? I'll just not request it.... thanks for the warning!
They can...and this throws off other fringe benefits of elite status.

Of course on second thought as an MVP your res needs to be split to start in order to request an upgrade if the second pax doesn't have status. More of an issue for MVPG or higher.
Old Oct 11, 14, 2:17 am

Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Same Day Confirmed Change

I'm MVPG 75k so I'll just not request the upgrades until after the flight change. Now that I know it's free that's actually a $107 difference each so worth the risk.
Old Oct 26, 14, 1:43 am

Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Same Day Confirmed Change

Closing the loop: plan went great and I changed us to the preferred flight at 10PM the night before. I wasn't able to add us to the upgrade list via the Android app after the flight change but did it via the full website then checked in again... which Alaska seems to let you do... and then we appeared on the upgrade list in the app for the new flight.
Old Feb 15, 15, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
I had an almost identical situation about 18 months ago... I had a SEA-YVR connection to a CX F award. The SEA-YVR segment was at an undesirable time early in the day due to award availability and as a result I had a several hour layover planned in YVR. I had planned on taking the flights as ticketed and had no problem with the layover.

Unfortunately, the day of departure, I had an urgent issue at work that I needed to complete before leaving. I hoped I would be able to check in online, SDC to the later SEA-YVR, and still fly the rest of my intl award as planned. When I checked in for the AS segment, I was not offered SDC options to any earlier/later flight, despite seeing plenty of space on flights at other times.

I ended up calling the Gold desk who did ultimately confirm that because the ticket is subject to partner contracts, SDC is NOT available for partner awards. Evidently the AS segments must come out of award availability buckets, whereas SDC allows changing to any available seat.

I did manage to plead my case to a VERY kind agent who understood my situation, confirmed that there was plenty of space on my desired flight, and took pity on me by manually changing my ticket despite lack of award space. (Effectively a manual override SDC.) I understood this was an exception and not to be expected in the future, but I was grateful for the humans at AS who did what they could to help.
Was SDC not normally available because the ticket was issued by a partner, or because the CX connection was on the same itinerary?
Old Feb 15, 15, 11:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
Was SDC not normally available because the ticket was issued by a partner, or because the CX connection was on the same itinerary?
This was an AS-issued award for which I redeemed AS miles to travel on CX. The reason was that AS' contract with CX would only allow AS to put customers on AS flights in award travel buckets.
Old Feb 23, 15, 9:29 pm

Programs: Former DL PM that converted to AS MVPG when we moved to SEA
AS SDC and cancel help for 75k or MVP

Closing the loop: plan went great and I changed us to the preferred flight at 10PM the night before. I wasn't able to add us to the upgrade list via the Android app after the flight change but did it via the full website then checked in again... which Alaska seems to let you do... and then we appeared on the upgrade list in the app for the new flight.
I have a similar situation coming up. MVPG 75K flying solo. Booked a 6am flight on Saturday and a 6am flight on Sunday for a return to SEA. Those flights were both about $100. I want to fly the Saturday 5PM flight but not for the $250 listed. I am planning to SDC at 10pm Fri to get on the 5pm on Saturday....or any afternoon flight on Sat. (and cancelling the Sunday flight to use the credit later).

I can't make the Sat 6am flight so if I can't SDC or standby I would like to cancel the Sat. ticket and use the, already booked, Sunday ticket.

Does this seem like a good plan? If I can't get the SDC booked at 10pm the night before, can I still miss the flight and standby the rest of the day? And if i don't get the standby can I still cancel the Sat. ticket for credit back and take the Sunday flight?

I have another trip doing the same thing but this time with my wife who is MVP. Can I still cancel a ticket for both of us and get the full credit without a change fee for her? (I read earlier on this post about the possible "work around" but I'm curious about the official AS rule that applies to a 75k and MVP cancelling a ticket and using the credit later).

Thanks in adcance for the advice. I'm a newly converted AS 75k from DL Plat and I'm so happy to be with the best airline now...and really happy I moved to SEA from CHI.
Old Feb 23, 15, 9:32 pm

Not sure about a lot of your questions but I'm pretty sure you can get a full credit without a fee for you and your wife both if you are on the same PNR.

Your plan sounds... well, sound to me. But I'm also far from an AS expert. I don't expect there to be much demand for a Saturday afternoon flight so I'd be pretty confident about its success.

One thing though--isn't it possible to SDC 24 hours ahead of time as an MVPG 75? I think you can do it starting at 5 PM on Friday... but again, I might be wrong and confusing it with AA, so if you read otherwise assume I'm full of it.
Old Feb 23, 15, 10:36 pm

Programs: Former DL PM that converted to AS MVPG when we moved to SEA
Not sure about a lot of your questions but I'm pretty sure you can get a full credit without a fee for you and your wife both if you are on the same PNR.

Your plan sounds... well, sound to me. But I'm also far from an AS expert. I don't expect there to be much demand for a Saturday afternoon flight so I'd be pretty confident about its success.

One thing though--isn't it possible to SDC 24 hours ahead of time as an MVPG 75? I think you can do it starting at 5 PM on Friday... but again, I might be wrong and confusing it with AA, so if you read otherwise assume I'm full of it.
Thanks for adding confidence to my plans. I'll update this post at the end of March about how the trips went. Hopefully smoothly, on the best flights, and with UPs for all!
Old Feb 23, 15, 10:51 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
That isn't correct. The MVP wife is still subject to change/cancellation fees.
Old Feb 23, 15, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
No, 10 PM is right; here are the rules.

tulaneksig, it sounds like you're on a route with several flights a day? I'd expect your chances of successful SDCing on Saturday are very good in that case.
Old Feb 24, 15, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Here is my question, booked via Delta SkyMiles first class award SEA-HNL tomorrow at 655PM. Can i 6 hours before on a Delta 006 ticket pay the $25 (assuming availability in first class) for the 940AM flight tomorrow or does this not work. I know I can use the Delta SDC as well to change to a Delta flight, but the only Delta flight with availability tomorrow is the 6PM flight which only saves me around an hour.

And after reading the link above, it appears the $25 fee may be waived for A class tickets, which is what I appear to be booked on.
Old Feb 24, 15, 12:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kss5555 View Post
Here is my question, booked via Delta SkyMiles first class award SEA-HNL tomorrow at 655PM. Can i 6 hours before on a Delta 006 ticket pay the $25 (assuming availability in first class) for the 940AM flight tomorrow or does this not work. I know I can use the Delta SDC as well to change to a Delta flight, but the only Delta flight with availability tomorrow is the 6PM flight which only saves me around an hour.

And after reading the link above, it appears the $25 fee may be waived for A class tickets, which is what I appear to be booked on.
Yes, this should be possible, even on a DL 006 ticket. You can request to change as early as 6 hours prior to your desired flight, so to switch to the 9:40 AM flight, you can attempt to change as early as 3:40 AM.

The $25 fee will be waived since you are traveling in A class. You will only be able to change to the flight if there is still F space available on your desired flight; there is no standby option.

Great way to get some extra time in Hawaii!
Old Feb 24, 15, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold

I called AS they did say at 340AM i would be able to change and the fee would be waived, however, Delta SDC got me on a 948AM via LAX confirmed in first arriving 631PM since their SDC is much better. Sorry to any delta elites i stole upgrades from, saw the list from SEA to LAX was 17 deep so far.
Old Feb 24, 15, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'm quite enjoying my wife's MVPG status and being able to book us the cheapest flight and SDCing to the flight we actually want.

Sorry to any delta elites i stole upgrades from, saw the list from SEA to LAX was 17 deep so far.
You didn't steal anything from anyone... if they wanted F, they could have bought it
Old Feb 26, 15, 10:27 pm

sooo...SDC change, via the phone, LAX-SEA-YVR --> LAX-YVR. Exception or the rule? Did this today. <3 Alaska

Search this Thread
Search Engine: