Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Jul 28, 13, 6:09 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,723
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
I just noticed that I now have an option of changing to a later flight. I have never noticed this before, is it new?
It's not new, it's been around for years; you just never noticed it.

Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
Does anyone know what the rules are that govern taking a later flight?
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...t-changes.aspx

Same Day Confirmed Flight Change can be requested for all available flights within 6 hours of the time of the request. For example, if your original flight leaves at 7:00 p.m. and you would like to change to the 1:30 p.m. flight, you may request the change as early as 7:30 a.m.
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Jul 28, 13, 7:22 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 2,284
So if you have a noon flight, want to change it to a 7 pm flight, you have to miss your flight and take a chance?
tatterdema is offline  
Old Jul 28, 13, 9:28 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,723
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
So if you have a noon flight, want to change it to a 7 pm flight, you have to miss your flight and take a chance?
Not if you're MVP or better.
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Jul 28, 13, 10:46 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SFO, mostly
Posts: 1,882
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
So if you have a noon flight, want to change it to a 7 pm flight, you have to miss your flight and take a chance?
Yeah, I had a 6:20 AM flight from OAK and I massively overslept. I didn't get to the airport until 9:50 AM . The agent at the ticket counter said I could either standby for the next flight (1 PM) or do a same day confirmed change for $25. I did the same day confirmed and got a new boarding pass issued on the spot.

I was afraid I might have to buy a new ticket, so this worked out much better than I expected. I hesitate to even mention my experience on a public forum, b/c I wouldn't want people to think they could deliberately miss their flights. It's possible the agent was just being nice.
sltlyamusd is offline  
Old Jul 28, 13, 7:35 pm
  #20  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,589
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
So if you have a noon flight, want to change it to a 7 pm flight, you have to miss your flight and take a chance?
One could SDC twice too...
beckoa is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 2:56 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ANC
Programs: AS MVP Gold; Hyatt; Hilton; SPG
Posts: 1,716
Bumping this thread hoping to find an answer to my question ...

This is a situation I have not encountered in my many years of flying with AS. I've already read the SDC and standby pages on the AS website, and also have searched and read the related FT threads -- but can't find the answer to my questions.
Can you SDC one segment of an award ticket? And if so, when does that change window open for an MVPGold?
The situation: I have an AS F award ticket that is in conjunction with international travel in F on a partner airline. The catch is the outbound ANC-SEA segment is in coach and on a combi ... which was the only option available back when I booked the ticket.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to get on a slightly earlier flight that same evening, even if it's in coach rather than first. Anything to get off of the cargo flight. (I lived in Southeast for many years and I really, REALLY detest flying on a combi ... this gal does not like having to deal with 2 sets of stairs and traipsing across the tarmac in crummy weather ...)
AKCuisine is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:08 pm
  #22  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 2,732
Originally Posted by AKCuisine View Post
This is a situation I have not encountered in my many years of flying with AS. I've already read the SDC and standby pages on the AS website, and also have searched and read the related FT threads -- but can't find the answer to my questions.
Can you SDC one segment of an award ticket? And if so, when does that change window open for an MVPGold?
The situation: I have an AS F award ticket that is in conjunction with international travel in F on a partner airline. The catch is the outbound ANC-SEA segment is in coach and on a combi ... which was the only option available back when I booked the ticket.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to get on a slightly earlier flight that same evening, even if it's in coach rather than first. Anything to get off of the cargo flight. (I lived in Southeast for many years and I really, REALLY detest flying on a combi ... this gal does not like having to deal with 2 sets of stairs and traipsing across the tarmac in crummy weather ...)
I had an almost identical situation about 18 months ago... I had a SEA-YVR connection to a CX F award. The SEA-YVR segment was at an undesirable time early in the day due to award availability and as a result I had a several hour layover planned in YVR. I had planned on taking the flights as ticketed and had no problem with the layover.

Unfortunately, the day of departure, I had an urgent issue at work that I needed to complete before leaving. I hoped I would be able to check in online, SDC to the later SEA-YVR, and still fly the rest of my intl award as planned. When I checked in for the AS segment, I was not offered SDC options to any earlier/later flight, despite seeing plenty of space on flights at other times.

I ended up calling the Gold desk who did ultimately confirm that because the ticket is subject to partner contracts, SDC is NOT available for partner awards. Evidently the AS segments must come out of award availability buckets, whereas SDC allows changing to any available seat.

I did manage to plead my case to a VERY kind agent who understood my situation, confirmed that there was plenty of space on my desired flight, and took pity on me by manually changing my ticket despite lack of award space. (Effectively a manual override SDC.) I understood this was an exception and not to be expected in the future, but I was grateful for the humans at AS who did what they could to help.
baliktad is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:35 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
I had an almost identical situation about 18 months ago... I had a SEA-YVR connection to a CX F award. The SEA-YVR segment was at an undesirable time early in the day due to award availability and as a result I had a several hour layover planned in YVR. I had planned on taking the flights as ticketed and had no problem with the layover.

Unfortunately, the day of departure, I had an urgent issue at work that I needed to complete before leaving. I hoped I would be able to check in online, SDC to the later SEA-YVR, and still fly the rest of my intl award as planned. When I checked in for the AS segment, I was not offered SDC options to any earlier/later flight, despite seeing plenty of space on flights at other times.

I ended up calling the Gold desk who did ultimately confirm that because the ticket is subject to partner contracts, SDC is NOT available for partner awards. Evidently the AS segments must come out of award availability buckets, whereas SDC allows changing to any available seat.

I did manage to plead my case to a VERY kind agent who understood my situation, confirmed that there was plenty of space on my desired flight, and took pity on me by manually changing my ticket despite lack of award space. (Effectively a manual override SDC.) I understood this was an exception and not to be expected in the future, but I was grateful for the humans at AS who did what they could to help.
That also happened to me a few months ago when flying SEA-YVR connecting to BA F. I did not attempt to do SDC the night before but arrive early at SEA. When I told the agent to put us on an earlier SEA-YVR flight, there was no question asked. She just did it. I guess it just depends on the agent. Also, I believe if the flight that you desire has open award space, you should be able to call into partner's desk and have them re-ticket as well.
bronco29 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:43 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,723
Originally Posted by bronco29 View Post
That also happened to me a few months ago when flying SEA-YVR connecting to BA F. I did not attempt to do SDC the night before but arrive early at SEA. When I told the agent to put us on an earlier SEA-YVR flight, there was no question asked. She just did it. I guess it just depends on the agent. Also, I believe if the flight that you desire has open award space, you should be able to call into partner's desk and have them re-ticket as well.
Airport agents tend to have a lot more power than phone agents (they need it to handle IRROPS at the airport).

So, OP, go to the airport a bit early and ask nicely? Worst thing that can happen is they say "no". I would think they should be able to let you stand by at least... and a 75K should pop to the top of standby.
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Nov 15, 13, 11:48 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ANC
Programs: AS MVP Gold; Hyatt; Hilton; SPG
Posts: 1,716
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Airport agents tend to have a lot more power than phone agents (they need it to handle IRROPS at the airport).

So, OP, go to the airport a bit early and ask nicely? Worst thing that can happen is they say "no". I would think they should be able to let you stand by at least... and a 75K should pop to the top of standby.
Thanks for the feedback and information, eponymous_coward, bronco29 and baliktad.

There's a regular, non-cargo flight to SEA that departs ANC within an hour or so of the award flight I'm on. I think I'll head out to TSAIA a bit earlier than usual to see if an airport AS agent can get me re-booked on that flight - even if it's in coach. And if they can make the change without causing any problems with the remainder of my F award travel on AS or EK.

Last edited by AKCuisine; Nov 15, 13 at 11:49 am Reason: formatting
AKCuisine is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 5:38 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Posts: 1,721
I would like a sanity check please. As far as I can tell from my reading this is legit but I haven't had enough experience and am worried that I'm missing something.

I want to take a SEA-SFO flight home late on a Sunday night. The morning flights are $73 and the flight I want is $180. I'm currently an MVP 75k so does this plan work:

*Book the 7:10 AM SEA-SFO flight for $73 for me and my wife (same PNR)
*Do a flight change for $25 at 10 PM on Saturday night to put us on the 5:35 PM SEA-SFO flight

Total cost: $98 (per person) as opposed to $180 and the only risk is that there won't be availability on the flight I want (although I'm flexible for any of the 4 latest flights so odds are good something will be available). I guess the catch is also that I'd lose any upgrades that would have cleared but I don't care that much.

Am I missing something? Is this completely within the rules?
djibouti is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 10:32 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,723
Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
I would like a sanity check please. As far as I can tell from my reading this is legit but I haven't had enough experience and am worried that I'm missing something.

I want to take a SEA-SFO flight home late on a Sunday night. The morning flights are $73 and the flight I want is $180. I'm currently an MVP 75k so does this plan work:

*Book the 7:10 AM SEA-SFO flight for $73 for me and my wife (same PNR)
*Do a flight change for $25 at 10 PM on Saturday night to put us on the 5:35 PM SEA-SFO flight

Total cost: $98 (per person) as opposed to $180 and the only risk is that there won't be availability on the flight I want (although I'm flexible for any of the 4 latest flights so odds are good something will be available). I guess the catch is also that I'd lose any upgrades that would have cleared but I don't care that much.

Am I missing something? Is this completely within the rules?
Won't work for your wife unless she has MVP status. If she does it's $25 for her, $0 for you. You will probably lose the upgrade, and if there aren't two seats on the same flight...
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Oct 10, 14, 10:40 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Posts: 1,721
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Won't work for your wife unless she has MVP status. If she does it's $25 for her, $0 for you. You will probably lose the upgrade, and if there aren't two seats on the same flight...
Why would it not work for her?

For MVP Gold Mileage Plan™ members and those traveling in the same reservation, the 6 hour request limitation does not apply — all eligible and available flights will be displayed. Changes can be made online during Web Check-in beginning at 10:00pm local time the day prior to original flight. If a seat cannot be confirmed on your desired flight, you may request free Same Day Standby.
Source: Confirmed flight change

Also:

Free Same Day Flight Changes (includes all passengers traveling in same reservation)
Elite benefits
djibouti is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 1:05 am
  #29  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,589
Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
risk is that there won't be availability on the flight I want
yup

Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
I guess the catch is also that I'd lose any upgrades that would have cleared but I don't care that much.
If you got the upgrade and your PNR is split your wife cannot SDC with you- as she's on a different PNR until 6 hours before the flight. So I'd decline the upgrade request until you SDC to the preferred flight.
beckoa is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 1:08 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Posts: 1,721
Same Day Confirmed Change

Does AS split upgrades by default? I'd have assumed they'd upgrade us together or not at all on the same PNR? I'll just not request it.... thanks for the warning!
djibouti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: