Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Will be trying the SDC for my flight tomorrow to change to PAE. I assume to try this I have to call since the app will probably only give me SEA options.

I will also try this 15 minute test with the check in to make sure I get on the upgrade list
jjmadison likes this.

Last edited by Bellerina; Nov 19, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Will be trying the SDC for my flight tomorrow to change to PAE. I assume to try this I have to call since the app will probably only give me SEA options.

I will also try this 15 minute test with the check in to make sure I get on the upgrade list
Update: SDC from SEA-SJC to a PAE-SJC no problem. CS on the phone said SEA and PAE were co-terminals.

I waited 30 minutes to check in, and I’m now showing up at the top of the upgrade list!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AS 100K
Flying ZLO-LAX-SEA under one reservation. The LAX-SEA is the following day at 6am. Just to confirm, I will NOT be able to SDC the LAX-SEA to the day before to avoid the overnight LAX layover, correct?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Update: SDC from SEA-SJC to a PAE-SJC no problem. CS on the phone said SEA and PAE were co-terminals.

I waited 30 minutes to check in, and I’m now showing up at the top of the upgrade list!
Did you do the SDC over the phone or online?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by barcelona_xavi
OP: Update: SDC from SEA-SJC to a PAE-SJC no problem. CS on the phone said SEA and PAE were co-terminals.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:00 am

App only showed SEA options. So called in. Did not try the full site.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Flying ZLO-LAX-SEA under one reservation. The LAX-SEA is the following day at 6am. Just to confirm, I will NOT be able to SDC the LAX-SEA to the day before to avoid the overnight LAX layover, correct?
Correct. If there is over four hours between the connection you can't SDC the second flight, until the window opens for that flight.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that doesn’t really answer the question ... ZLO-LAX is an afternoon flight (depart ~1630 arrive ~1810), so OLCI at ~T-12 would indeed be after the window for the next day’s 0600 LAX-SEA

presuming it’s a legal intl-to-domestic connection, it would be interesting to know if AS IT actually offers the ~1930 LAX-SEA flight on the prior day as an SDC option
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Correct. If there is over four hours between the connection you can't SDC the second flight, until the window opens for that flight.
is this 4-hour rule a thing? is it published somewhere?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
presuming it’s a legal intl-to-domestic connection, it would be interesting to know if AS IT actually offers the ~1930 LAX-SEA flight on the prior day as an SDC option
Policy states NO! Same with co-terminal changes. You can call and ask. If they allow a SDC to a different calendar day or allow a change to a co-terminal AS is doing you a favour.

Am I eligible to make a same day confirmed flight change?

To qualify for a same day confirmed change:
  • You must be holding confirmed reservations and tickets for flights operated by Alaska Airlines.
  • You must request the change prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.
  • Your new desired flight must depart on the same calendar day as your originally scheduled flight.

If the flight changes you'd like to make don't meet the qualifications above, normal change fees and restrictions will apply.

James
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Too bad co-terminals aren't allowed by written policy. Policy is whatever they say but it seems like a selfish one-sided arrangement, or do I have it wrong. Passengers can be re-routed to co-terminals but passengers can't change itineraries to those terminals.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
What if the connection is over 4 hours, but the second leg is on the same day? Can I do SDC of the second leg when the check-in opens?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Too bad co-terminals aren't allowed by written policy. Policy is whatever they say but it seems like a selfish one-sided arrangement, or do I have it wrong. Passengers can be re-routed to co-terminals but passengers can't change itineraries to those terminals.
The fact that it explicitly says you cannot change terminals with SDC, but there are a lot of us saying we can (my SEA/PAE example today) is a bit furstrating. However, I'd rather have them do it when you call in if you can than for them to say no always. You just can't always expect them to do it.

That said, it's probably worth a call to see if they would let you do the SDC even if it's more than 4 hours.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Policy states NO! Same with co-terminal changes. You can call and ask. If they allow a SDC to a different calendar day or allow a change to a co-terminal AS is doing you a favour.

Am I eligible to make a same day confirmed flight change?

To qualify for a same day confirmed change:
  • You must be holding confirmed reservations and tickets for flights operated by Alaska Airlines.
  • You must request the change prior to the departure of your original flight.
  • You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.
  • Your new desired flight must depart on the same calendar day as your originally scheduled flight.

If the flight changes you'd like to make don't meet the qualifications above, normal change fees and restrictions will apply.

James
thank you again, professor .. I am **WELL AWARE** of what policy states, and of the fact that policy really isn't what's written but rather what's practiced (as, obviously, are many others who have weighed in to cite various examples of YMMV)

again, I was referring to the post immediately above mine, which didn't actually answer the question in the post jsguyrus quoted ... while true, the point about "can't SDC beyond T-24 from the second flight with a 4+ hour layover" is irrelevant; I was attempting to clarify for the individual flying ZLO-LAX-SEA that OLCI for the entire itinerary after 0600PST on the day of departure from ZLO (rather than at T-24 for that flight) **might** be a scenario in which AS IT would in fact allow SDC to the more reasonable same-day connection

all that said, calling is ALWAYS the best approach when looking to make a change that is outside written policy
NoLaGent and Bellerina like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if the connection is over 4 hours, but the second leg is on the same day? Can I do SDC of the second leg when the check-in opens?
as long as you're inside T-24 from the second flight (i.e., once its OLCI window is open)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.